Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Black Tank Flush inlet seems restricted.

2021 25' Globetrotter FBQ

I've noticed when I attach a hose to my black tank inlet it seems like there is a restriction. Water sprays where the hose connects to the inlet, almost like maybe there is a restriction keeping it from going directly to the tank? In a previous post I mentioned a sewer smell in the closet by the shower. I think this is where the city water and black tank flush come in. Maybe this is a stuck check restricting the black tank flush water? Water does make it into the tank, so it is not completely blocked.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
👍

I put an extension on ours,(stays on), easier to connect and tighten. Make sure all the gaskets good.
It's not leaking on the other side of the connection?

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95C7BD19-8A11-43D7-96BF-97AE80E8FAC2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	403660  
Old 09-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I put an extension on ours,(stays on), easier to connect and tighten. Make sure all the gaskets good.
It's not leaking on the other side of the connection?

Bob
🇺🇸
No, not leaking on the other side
Old 09-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My spray head in the side of the black tank was completely blocked. When I cleaned it I started getting smells in the bathroom area. I plan to remove the vacuum breaker check valve under the sink cabinet and put one outside in the water compartment.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
I had a problem with a blocked black flush head. On the 23FB, the flush head in inaccessible without removing the black tank.

After reading on Air Forums that cleaning the head involved dropping the tank (major job), I knew that there must be an easier way.

I outlined one alternate procedure and my results here: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...-188713-2.html

The bottom line is that I now only use a hose with a filter connected to flush the black tank. So far, this has worked well.

Since you said that some water is getting into the tank probably the first thing to inspect is the vacuum breaker. It may be obstructed with debris as mine was.

-John
Radio Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Interesting. I'll see if I can clean out the breaker valve since that's fairly easy to get to. Not sure I understand why they would put any filtration to get clogged in there unless it's to keep from damaging the breaker. It's certainly possible something got in there and clogged it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Ranch View Post
I had a problem with a blocked black flush head. On the 23FB, the flush head in inaccessible without removing the black tank.

After reading on Air Forums that cleaning the head involved dropping the tank (major job), I knew that there must be an easier way.

I outlined one alternate procedure and my results here: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...-188713-2.html

The bottom line is that I now only use a hose with a filter connected to flush the black tank. So far, this has worked well.

Since you said that some water is getting into the tank probably the first thing to inspect is the vacuum breaker. It may be obstructed with debris as mine was.

-John
Old 09-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
To be clear, there is NO factory installed filtration of the water going into the vacuum breaker and on to the tank. Anything that comes from your flush hose enters the vacuum breaker.

The filter I mention is one of the inline hose filters that one might typically use for city water. I use this to prevent any dirt or grit from entering the vacuum breaker when doing the flush.

When I cleaned my vacuum breaker after finding it to be clogged, the debris was very small pebbles and some plant debris that entered through the hose that was used for the flush.

I'm not sure if the hose had picked up debris inside from being dragged on the ground, or the debris was in the water from the dump station (called "non-potable" for a reason), but using an inline filter will prevent debris from entering the vacuum breaker. I use an old filter from a previous season of travel.

As an additional measure, I always do a little flush of the hose and filter before connecting it to the black flush inlet, and make sure that the threads are clean.

I hope that this makes it more clear.

In the 23FB, the vacuum breaker is very accessible under the sink. It is a brittle plastic device. I read that some people on the forum had failures of these. I have a policy of having my wife watch the vacuum breaker as I start the flush since a failure of this device could cause flooding in the trailer when doing the flush. Team effort.

-John
Radio Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Interesting. I'll see if I can clean out the breaker valve since that's fairly easy to get to. Not sure I understand why they would put any filtration to get clogged in there unless it's to keep from damaging the breaker. It's certainly possible something got in there and clogged it.
Not sure what breaker valve is but you will likely need to replace the check valve, which can just fall apart. See attached photo of a broken one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210814_115353.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	403703  
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Please realize a restriction can not cause that leak if you have a good connection.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
IF....you back flush at the dumper station a filter is a very good idea.

The BT flush does little to actually flush...a good BT treatment routine from right from the gitgo helps the most.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Ranch View Post
To be clear, there is NO factory installed filtration of the water going into the vacuum breaker and on to the tank. Anything that comes from your flush hose enters the vacuum breaker.

The filter I mention is one of the inline hose filters that one might typically use for city water. I use this to prevent any dirt or grit from entering the vacuum breaker when doing the flush.

When I cleaned my vacuum breaker after finding it to be clogged, the debris was very small pebbles and some plant debris that entered through the hose that was used for the flush.

I'm not sure if the hose had picked up debris inside from being dragged on the ground, or the debris was in the water from the dump station (called "non-potable" for a reason), but using an inline filter will prevent debris from entering the vacuum breaker. I use an old filter from a previous season of travel.

As an additional measure, I always do a little flush of the hose and filter before connecting it to the black flush inlet, and make sure that the threads are clean.

I hope that this makes it more clear.

In the 23FB, the vacuum breaker is very accessible under the sink. It is a brittle plastic device. I read that some people on the forum had failures of these. I have a policy of having my wife watch the vacuum breaker as I start the flush since a failure of this device could cause flooding in the trailer when doing the flush. Team effort.

-John
I am having a similar issue with water not flowing thru the “sewer flusher” system. Today was my first time emptying the tanks in our trailer and when I went to run water thru the sewer flusher, it seemed clogged and water was not running thru. Water was spraying out the sides of the hose connection.

I see this device inside the closet next to the fridge (25’fb) connected to the sewer flush hook up line. Was this the source of your clog? Dos debris go thru this device or does it act like a filter?

There seems to be many different names to this device, so not sure what to call it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1F804B86-3149-4047-8D6F-5BA0672F0EDF.jpeg
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	404425   Click image for larger version

Name:	7681A462-6B85-4E53-91DB-C087B380EAB4.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	404426  

Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:21 AM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Vacuum breaker in the city water line to the flush head.

Allows water to flow thru it into the spray head but does not allow water to flow back siphoning out the tank contents.

Turn water on and see if you can see it allowing water to flow thru it. If you want to remove it and inspect loosen and unscrew the two wing nut style connection nuts.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Thanks Gary! To be clear though, this vacuum breaker is on the sewer flush line, not the city water hook up line.

I will disconnect, take apart at look to see if there are debris causing my clog. Fingers crossed that is all it is.
JJ
Old 09-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
JJ,

It's water supply for flushing is the city water supply line or your tank and water pump if that's how you're hooked up.

Mine works, used it two weeks ago.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 09-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
JJ,

It's water supply for flushing is the city water supply line or your tank and water pump if that's how you're hooked up.

Mine works, used it two weeks ago.

Gary
On my 2009 25’FB Cloud the vacuum breaker is placed on the line for the sewer flush. The outside picture here shows the sewer flush above the city water hook up. The vacuum breaker is placed just after the hose nozzle hook up for the sewer flush and I can easily see it from the inside as shown in the above pictures.
Is that how yours is?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1D2E8A75-8F7F-48D0-94CD-D9703446175D.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	404490  
Old 09-20-2021, 02:58 PM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
JJ,

My error, not all AS's are configured the same.

I CAN run the tank flush off of the pump if I have water in the tank and pump running due to the layout of the 2007 Classic.

This pic L-R city water connection IN, hose bib city water OUT and the no fuss flush connection.

When I'm connected to city water via the hose from the park water spigot the hose bib can supply water to the no fuss via the short white hose I have connected to it for convenience. The hose bib outlet has another vacuum breaker so in this case it's two devices to prevent any chance of black tank water getting out of the tank via the flush system.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7023.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	404494  
Old 09-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
JJ,

My error, not all AS's are configured the same.

I CAN run the tank flush off of the pump if I have water in the tank and pump running due to the layout of the 2007 Classic.

This pic L-R city water connection IN, hose bib city water OUT and the no fuss flush connection.

When I'm connected to city water via the hose from the park water spigot the hose bib can supply water to the no fuss via the short white hose I have connected to it for convenience. The hose bib outlet has another vacuum breaker so in this case it's two devices to prevent any chance of black tank water getting out of the tank via the flush system.

Gary

I had no idea!

When I bought my trailer there was a short piece of hose in the water compartment, probably for just the purpose you demonstrated. I have to admit being a little nervous about a direct connection between the trailer potable water and the tank flush, but with a vacuum breaker and the hose bib that either pressurizes the line or not it seems safe. When I get my city water inlet repaired I may hook that up.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Thank Gary. That makes sense as you wouldn’t want black water backing up into the fresh water tank with that set up.

I have to say I am finding these forums to be very useful with a lot of knowledgeable folk!

Now, anyone have suggestions for how to unscrew the connectors for the vacuum breaker? I gave it a good shot, but it is all made of plastic, so didn’t want to go all gorilla strength in it yet as I would like to avoid braking anything. Maybe some Wd40 spayed into the threads to loosen up? Or do I just need to muscle it more and hope it doesn’t break?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4C9C1E10-0048-43B9-8704-B9311CCC1BE4.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	404503  
Old 09-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #19
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Black Tank Flush inlet seems restricted.

Muscle it up. Just hold the part that ain’t supposed to turn.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:59 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Alright, well I summoned the power of Grey Skull and managed to get this thing apart with only a little bit of breakage (just one of the 3 plastic finger screw fins broke off a connector). I couldn’t get the underside connection off the vacuum breaker, but it was easy to get the connection off at the hose bib hook up so I did that. Glad I did as that plex was totally clogged. Ended up having use this plumbing spring thing I have to clear it out.

So, now I need to figure out should I just order a new plasticity vacuum breaker valve or look for a better, less problematic set up?

Taking a closer look at this vacuum breaker, it appears there is a check valve (assuming that is what it is called from reading above), but then if that fails, it looks like it would spit out the over flow (black tank water?) into the trailer closet. Is that correct? Or if it fails the other way would overflow fresh water I am pumping into the sewer clean out into the trailer. Is this correct?

Do I really need this vaccuum breaker part?

Above it is mentioned to use a filter to stop debris. If I use one, would I still need the check valve and/or vacuum breaker?

Finally, even if I use the filter, if something gets in there I would still need to deal with fixing the filter. Is replacing the hose bib with one that has a screen a good option as a first line of defense so to speak?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22A133F5-384F-4D77-96C7-AB36A9908EFC.jpeg
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	404519   Click image for larger version

Name:	6DACBA28-268C-42F4-A8FB-218DEB554CDA.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	404520  

Name:	1319BB21-A009-47ED-9B65-1DFDEB036506.jpeg