Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Johnsonbrg , Pennsylvania
Black Tank Cracked....HELP

I'm replacing the bathroom floor in my '66 overlander and once I got the old rotted floor out I sse the toilet must have pressed down on the black tank and it has 4" cracks (3 or 4 of them) radiating out around where the toilet flange screws into it. Is there any fix or inexpensive way to fix/replace this? I see you can get replacement tanks in fiberglass, but they're way out of my budget. Anybody have an old tank, or repair suggestions? Is there an aftermarket replacement or substitution that will do the job? I don't need originality, just functionality! Thanks in advance

Randy Lindberg
rlindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I fixed a crack in mine on the out tube. I used and epoxy plastic weld. It worked well. I don't know how long it will last and I am planing on replacing the tank this spring. But it held up over last summer and over 1000 miles of travel. My tank too also had weight pushing it down and pushed the out let line onto part of the frame which cracked it. Rear end sag and rotten floor did this.. A spring fix.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We had a crack that began at the outlet and was 'running' along the bottom. There was evidence that a PO had repaired it once or twice before. Several threads/posts here tells that repairing the early tanks was possible and a lot of others say it's a waste of time. It's a gamble. I didn't want any 'surprises' on a fun camping trip and opted to replace the tank. Like you I had to replace the floor too so it was easier to put a new tank in. Upon pulling the old tank I saw that it was 'rotten' in other areas. A new fiberglass tank is pricey and may be only available from Inland RV. This is a good time to replace the fittings and valve. I am confident that my repair will outlive me.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
I had a gentleman weld mine, The whole flange was broke out. It has held fine for 3 or 4 years. He said the trick is to use the proper rod to match the material of your tank. $100.00 well spent. Good luck Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
had the same problem with our 65 overlander. Our cracks were beyond repair and we bought a new one from inland. The one we got is very well made. I am pleased with it even though it was pricey. there is a repair idea here Black Water Tank Repair but ours was too far gone.
good luck
Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

All good ideas! I've used a 2-part flexible part repair kit on previous car projects, but I don't know if it is "leak proof" (odor most importantly). I also thought about checking my local hardware store to see if there is any sort of plastic/pvc type of flange that I could thread into the tank and epoxy everything together... Or, is there anyone who has used a different type of tank? I'm probably dreaming that there is a "generic" tank that could be made to work withouth too much modification.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
I am dealing with the same issues. My black tank has a cracked outlet flange, and also my water tank has cracks. Was tempted to order new tanks but the shipping cost really seemed to bring the cost up.

The plastic seems in reasonable condition otherwise. I think the water tank is polyethlene and the black tank is polypropolene. I have been looking into repairing it for some time. What looks like the best hope at this point is 3M Scotch Weld DP8005. The tube of two part glue is around $30.00 but you also need a special applicator and mix noozles which bring it to about $130.00 total. Am in the process of preparing to apply it. Used an old soldering iron to reheal cracks and have some HDPE plastic from a lab sample bottle that I will make a patch with then glue on.
toga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I had Inca plastics in california make an exact copy of my old black tank. I had the exact same problems but the more I dug to find out what I needed to do the more I decided I needed to tear the bathroom apart. Check out my project. Hopefully this will help you.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-38204.html

Inca asks you take pictures and measurments and send them to their company. They made mine in a few days and it was a matter of no time and it was at my door. Also the old plastic tanks are not of the quality they are today.

Lothlorian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	77194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacktank1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	77195  

Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
The 66 Overlander that I traded for 8671 went to Rob without a bathroom (he didn't need it for his project). Most of the fiberglass went to various members but the black tank stayed behind. I stuck it on the side of the garage. I know the top is slightly concave, I'm guessing from the weight of the toilet and floor sag. There appears to have been some repair around the drain valve but didn't look poorly done. If you're interested I can try to take some photos this weekend, send me a private message with an email address. You're welcome to it for the cost of boxing and shipping it.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I'm not sure iif I sent the pm right, but if not my email is randylindberg@hotmail.com. Where do you live? I'm interested in the black tank if you want to part with it. Thanks, Randy
Old 03-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Hi Randy, I'm in Washington State, not sure how well that would be for shipping. I've been digging all day the last two days and will be again all day tomorrow but will try to take some photos the first of the week and email them.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote