Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Black tank constipation :)

We have not used the bathroom (in the Airstream) much since taking delivery of our tt in October.....but when I did try to dump whatever was in the tank almost nothing came out...

Does the "flush system" really work on Airstreams? Has anyone else had trouble getting the tank completely clean?

Grey water tank seems to fill and drain well. By the way Maurice what made me think of what I perceive might be our tt's particular problem was your post on the RV.Forum but I am having trouble emailing you.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
In my Airstream Forums "profile," both

Click here to email RoadKingMoe and
Send RoadKingMoe a Private Message

should both be reliable. I get messages
from them all the time.

Unlike Airstream Forums, RV.net doesn't
let me know (via email) when someone
replies to what I've posted or ask me a
question, so I often miss them.

Be back in awhile... the WC race is on.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, if you hadn't used it since taking delivery, there should be next to nothing in there, except maybe some RV antifreeze. When I opened mine up, a bit of water came out.

The dealer told me they winterized it too. I am not sure they did, however, very little water came out.

BTW, on my tank status panel, it says my grey tank is 1/3 full. There is nothing in it.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Try running water into the tank through the toilet (or through the "black water tank flush") until it's about half full and dump it again. You should hear the water flowing in through the flush plumbing. Perhaps the trailer was not level enough for the small amount of "stuff" in there to drain out?

How is towing with your JGC? I think the max tow rating of a JGC is 6500 lbs, and the Classic 25 GVWR is 7300.

I'm at the edge too with a 2002 Explorer V8 tow rated for 7000 lbs pulling a Safari 25 at 6300 GVWR.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:23 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dan,

That was a good catch. Apple1 said that the JGC is not good for much beyond it's limit of about 5000lbs. If I recall Apple1 was one of the people responsible for testing trailer ratings.

I would get a different tow vehicle. That combo is grossly exceeded with what you are doing.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I have purchased 34' that was used in park for three years. I am sure there is sediment build up in black tank. Any suggestions for cleaning up?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:03 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Befoer you pull out locate a dup station 5-10 miles away, add water to the black tank unitl 1/4 full, add 2-3 bags of ice cubes and head for the dump station. The water/ice/motion will scour out the tank and you should be fine going forward. Just be sure to submerge any stuff sitting in the tank with the water. The 1/4 full is a starting point.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote