Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Black/Grey tank roof vent failures

We have had several failures of the tank roof vents where the valves (?) become stuck. Oasis RV replaced several under warranty and at least one that we paid for. Failure to vent either tank can lead to an unpleasant experience when you open the trailer door. Whew. Not enough to set the CO alarm off but... At first I thought I was adding non performing chemicals to the tanks but that wasn't it. The failure typically occurs after we have been using the trailer and then tow down the road a hundred miles or more. I'm thinking it may have to do with our extremely dry south western climate drying out the valve material. Has anyone else experienced this in their 06 vintage trailer (or other)? Anyone have a D.I.Y. fix or preventive measure?

And I did search the forums and didn't find other posts on this topic.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Northern New England
Hey, Ken—
I can't vouch for this personally, as I am still in the process of finding an Airstream to call my very own , but based on many online recommendations (and the fact that it was on sale), I purchased The Holding Tank Cyclone, made by Camco. It's designed to pull waste gases out of the trailer using the cyclonic effect; you probably are aware of these gizmos.

But it occurs to me that adding the cyclone to the vent opening would also offer additional protection from the elements for the vent opening itself.

Just a thought. Good luck!
Air2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Ken,
Maybe the problem is caused by the lack of water in the P-traps. The water in the trap prevents gases from the tank from backing up into the trailer. You should be able to identify a dry trap with your nose.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
plumbing vent valves?? what valves??

CO?
not from the waste tank. methane (stinky and explosive) sure. I don't think you'd have a methane detector in your trailer...but hey, they think of everything these days....

dry traps would make it stink inside the trailer. another possibility would be a vent stack pipe that isn't completely attached to the tank. although, you'd smell that all the time, not just immediately after a drive.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
We have had several failures of the tank roof vents where the valves (?) become stuck. Oasis RV replaced several under warranty and at least one that we paid for. Failure to vent either tank can lead to an unpleasant experience when you open the trailer door. Whew. Not enough to set the CO alarm off but... At first I thought I was adding non performing chemicals to the tanks but that wasn't it. The failure typically occurs after we have been using the trailer and then tow down the road a hundred miles or more. I'm thinking it may have to do with our extremely dry south western climate drying out the valve material. Has anyone else experienced this in their 06 vintage trailer (or other)? Anyone have a D.I.Y. fix or preventive measure?

And I did search the forums and didn't find other posts on this topic.

Thanks,
Ken
Ken.... What tank roof vent valves are you referring to? Our 2007 25' has round white plastic roof vents that just cover up the plastic ABS vent pipes coming up from the gray & black water tanks as they come through the roof. The only "valves" we have are the ProVent vacuume breaks that are installed on the plastic ABS gray water waste lines adjacent to the shower and the kitchen & bathroom sinks?