Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Black/gray hose question

Hi!
Sorry if this has been asked. I couldn’t find anything when searching via the app.
We’ll be first time rv’rs and AS owners this fall, God willing, and I have just finished my “big” purchases (ems, tpms, air compressor) and am moving on to the less expensive necessities, including the stinky slinky. I thought AS came with one in the storage space but my sales rep corrected my misconception.

With that long winded intro said, is the tank hose connection universal? I would like to have the rhino clear elbows to easily make sure the job is complete. Will this hose system work? Elbows aside, will the hose fit in the underbelly storage? If it matters, we’re getting a 23cb.
Thanks in advance for any wisdom and advice.
Cheers,
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Congrats on your new trailer!

Some dealers DO provide a starter kit which contains a basic sewer hose, water hose, toilet paper, etc. just to get you going with something, but the hoses aren't typically anything you want to continue with, and I supposed it's up to each dealer whether they want to provide those items.

EDIT: Yes the clear elbows are great to have.

I've used Rhino sewer hoses with the last 3 trailers and have been very happy with them. They have held up well. I got the set that has 2 15' sections. Many times I can get by with 1 hose, depending on the campsite. I keep one in the tube beneath the trailer and the other (spare) in the bumper storage.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Congrats and welcome!

The bayonet mounts for the sewer hoses are universal. You should be fine with your plan. The sewer hose will fit in the storage tube under your Airstream but you’ll need to remove the elbow. I keep my clear elbow in the rear bumper storage compartment.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The fittings on the hoses are "universal". You don't have to go crazy matching this with that.

Some have noted that the tube "carrier" under the trailer is less than ideal. There are reports of them popping open (and dumping the slinky) and of them falling off. How often either thing happens .... who knows.

There really aren't a lot of things you would want to carry in the back bumper (assuming you have one). It gets a pretty major dirt load as you go down the road. It also is a very easy spot to store the slinky in.

We carry two, "just in case". You never know when you might be at a campsite with really odd ideas about what hooks up where ( power is 60' in that direction ... water is 40' off that way .... 30' down from the "pad" is the sewer. We've been in multiple sites like this ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Actually, it's more accurate to say the bayonet mounts for the sewer hoses are universal in this century. Most of the last century Airstream used a now obsolete size. While not important to know when buying new it is good to have some warning for anyone buying vintage.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
We keep ours in the bumper. It is a Camco Rhino. A sturdy hose.

Also keep a clear elbow back there, a “doughnut” thing for use with some sewer hookups, and a black-use-only garden hose (and labeled as such), to rinse things out. I had to shorten the hose to fit it in.

We keep a backup/extension Rhino in the storage tube under the trailer. CAUTION — that tube’s lid is not secure!

We had it open up on one of our first trips, which meant a sewer hose disappeared somewhere on a Georgia highway.

So, I recommend you do something to keep the lid, the little end piece, in place.

Some people drill holes in the tube and the lid to run a zip tie or a clip of some kind.

I tied a stretch of old bicycle tube on there. It keeps the lid tight and in place.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Some have noted that the tube "carrier" under the trailer is less than ideal. There are reports of them popping open (and dumping the slinky) and of them falling off. How often either thing happens .... who knows.

Bob
There is an easy fix for dumping the slinky if the cap opens. Just drill a 5/16" hole in each side of the tube near the cap then run a 1/4" bolt through the holes to keep the slinky in place even without the cap.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
There is an easy fix for dumping the slinky if the cap opens. Just drill a 5/16" hole in each side of the tube near the cap then run a 1/4" bolt through the holes to keep the slinky in place even without the cap.
That's a great idea, thanks
Old 09-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Congrats, another vote for Rhino and a clear elbow.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Y’all are awesome!! Thanks for the quick responses and great advice. I feel certain my wife and I will enjoy being part of this community!

Cheers,
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote