Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Alden , MI
Biolet Composting toilet? Will this work?

So, this turned up at our chorch women’s rummage sale today. (I’m the Pastor) We are setting up for this weekend and the person who dropped it off said, “THIS IS WORTH A LOT OF MONEY, you might even get $20 for it!” LOL. Anyhow, I told the ladies to put my name with a sold sign on it and I’m going to give them way more than $20 since 100% of the sale proceeds go to local charities like the food pantry.

Soooo. Will this work in the 63 gutted Sovereign we are redoing? Any reason I shouldn’t get it? What can you tell me about this composting toilet? I can’t find the Biolet model M on their website. Or is it a 10 Standard?

We were planning to put a standard RV toilet and tank in our Airstream. And we can still put the black tank and hookup in while the belly pan is out. But I have been reading all about composting toilets with great interest, but figured they were out of our price range for now. And then the toilet fairy dropped this on my lawn. 😂

What say ye?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Biolet 10 Standard.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	400963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Biolet SN.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	400964  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Biolet directions.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	400965  
Old 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The first thing would be to retrofit a 12 volt motor and heater. I really don't know anything about them (why a heater?) but others here have installed them, although not this particular model.

Whatever you chose to do, it will get a real workout with all those people!!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Alden , MI
Not all of our kids go camping with us. Some are adults and married and some are teens with jobs.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Alden , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
The first thing would be to retrofit a 12 volt motor and heater. I really don't know anything about them (why a heater?) but others here have installed them, although not this particular model.

Whatever you chose to do, it will get a real workout with all those people!!
So would you have a 12v fan and heater and have a 110 fan and heater and just switch out which plug you plug in based on if you are on shore power or battery? Or just entirely switch over to 12v and remove the 110? We have the walls out and are planning our wiring, so we can put in whatever we want pretty easily at this point.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Composting toilets

You might want to check out this video: https://youtu.be/fOH_p3c5LZs
An RV couple discussing their decision on a composting toilet.

When we were sail boating in the 90's, we installed an Electrosan head, which appears to work on the same principle as the Biolet, namely the liquids and solids were electrically zapped. This cooked and supposedly rendered the waste into an inert ash which we could discharge (legally) overboard.
The Electrosan used 12V for cooking the stuff and it required a heavier gauge of wire - 2 gauge - and a direct, fused connection to our battery bank.
We are installing a Separette composting toilet in our 1972 Overlander, primarily so we can use the black water tank as a gray water tank. The differences between the Biolet and the Separette (or the toilet installed by Norm & Kim in the video) are 1) the Separette needs only a 12V, low-draw computer fan for airflow and 2) it appears this model of Biolet combines both liquid & solids whereas the Sparette separates. Both units conserve on water usage.
There are non-electric 120V models of the Biolet - maybe you can get a conversion kit. The rated power usage, at 245 watts, would require about 21 amps at 12 V.
Needless to say, the Biolet that landed on your lawn is a smokin' deal!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote