Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Best size blue boy tote?

What is the capacity of the black water tanks on my 71 Tradewind and my 73 Sovereign? The toilet sits on directly on top of the tank in the Tradewind in an area raised above the inside floor level. I guess it holds about 10g. I guess the Sovereign holds about 20g. What size/ brand do you use and why?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Just my thoughts - and I try to avoid them myself....

Whew, what a subject. Too small and you have a mess on you hands - most have an overfill device now but the drips are still a BIG THING. Too big and it's a big deal to handle - either towing by hand or truck to the dump station or lifting into the truck. Where do you store the thing? Lots of questions.

I went with the mid size tank - I use it only for GREY WATER - I hope to never use it for BLACK WATER , but if I do, I would think that it would have to be cleaned completely as soon as practical to do so.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
We got a 25 gallon

I don't know your capacities, but our rig has an 18 gal black tank if I recall correctly. It's fine for about 4 days camping provided it's only used for black water. I had planned on getting a 15 gal blue tote for just grey, but ended up getting a deal on a 25 gal (just for grey) and went with that. I'm glad we got the 25! It takes up a bit more space, but I can run a couple days of doing dishes and showers for 2 of us before it needs emptied. Plus, it has a handle that fits over the hitch to tow it to the dump station when full. Was a good investment, as before I had to hitch up the trailer almost daily and take it to the dump station to dump mostly grey water. I believe the brand was Tote-N-Stor. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I should have mentioned in the original post, there is no grey water tank in either of my coaches. I don't mind draining the grey water directly on the ground but some places do.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I have a 10 gallon blue girl. Only used for grey water.Rides empty upright under the dinette.But thats useless info I guess seeing as you do not have grey tanks in either of your trailers.!
So are you going to use the garden hose fitting hooked up to the blue girl?
Sounds like waste water management is the key here.
Imagine a 20 gallon tank heavy when full, bulky. takes up room.
So it's back to personal taste.Did I say that in a grey/blackwater thread!!
O you could get twin tanks, a his and hers. That would be real waste management!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have a 25 gallon with four wheels and the handle with a hitch hook so I can tow it to the dump station or drag it to a gray water dump site. (I get some interesting looks on the way to and from the dump station.) We have only used it on about 2 trips. It will hold almost one days worth of showers and dish washing using the Navy shower method for the four of us. Like Clancy Boy, I try not to use one and prefer to camp at full hook-up camp grounds, but state parks rarely have sewer hook-ups. At one state park I drug it over to the gray water dump location that was two sites over. At another state park I towed it to the dump station. I would have preferred the next larger size, but CW was out of that size when I bought it. Our gray water tank holds 38 gallons so I am never able to completely empty the gray water tank using it without making multiple trips. This has led to occasional shower floor back-ups....ewwwe!

We have never used it for black water. Our black tank will hold about a week's worth of back water. Either way, this is my least favorite part of camping...somebody get the rubber gloves and hand sanitizer!!!!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
New grey tote competitor at CW

We have a 22G blue tote with two wheels. It was a compromise as it fit better in the truck then the four wheel 25G. It fits under the trailer and we use it only for grey water. CW has a Thetford brand competitor that looks better to me. So if anybody wants our lightly used (thoroughly rinsed) blue tote I may upgrade.
-KL
Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We have an 11 gallon for grey water. The 11 fits prefectly in the tub for travel. The 11 is also the same size as the black tank just in case we 'get into a jam' and we (IT) need a way out!

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
I just bought a gray portable tank. (Same as blue boy...but gray in color.) It is 18 gal, which is the smallest size you can get with four wheels and an attatchment for your trailer hitch. One thing to keep in mind is that all dump stations are NOT created equal. Sometimes you may have to lift the tank in order to drain it. As any plumber will tell you...hots on the left, colds on the right, and @#$% don't flow uphill. I wouldn't get any size thats bigger than you can lift should you need to. Most of the time you can drain some off to make it lighter, then lift it to get the dregs out...quoting MinniesMate...ewww!

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
I personally prefer the 10 gallon size. As mentioned earlier, easy to haul/handle/tow by yourself. Also small enough to throw in back of pickup instead of towing if necessary. I also normally have a 49 cc scooter with me with a hitch designed to tow the little bugger if need be. A larger tote, loaded, is more than I want to pull with the scoot. Saves having to start the truck, and just another excuse for a scooter ride.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We use the scooter too!
If close enough, I drag it over early in the morning.
Get one that rolls along without needing to be lifted.
I've seen a few hooked to back of truck that are at a 30^, does not look like fun.
Had the shower back up too, a drip from the valve will fill those tanks up over night...
The Horror, the horror.

Take the number of people...
Times number of days between empties...
Times the Sunrise... (early Sunrise = less time inside)
= # Gallons tote needed.

ex: 2p x 2d x 5.5 = 22g

You may have to make two trips.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I just ordered a Barker 22 gal Blue Boy from JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Auto Accessories for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Jeep and More. This model has two wheels and the tow bracket. They have free shipping on them at the moment, and were the best price I could find.

This size is 1 gallon larger than my largest holding tank, so it gives me some flexibility. The dimensions (36" x 20" x 10") fit into a slot I have in the truck, when it's empty. I guess it would fit there full too, but I'm not prepared to lift 176 lbs

The on-line reviews of the Thetford models at CW weren't very good.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Camping world just came out with a new holding tank. Thetford SmartTote Portable Waste Tanks. Check them out at the below link.

Thetford SmartTote Portable Waste Tanks - Camping World

R/
Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Camping world just came out with a new holding tank. Thetford SmartTote Portable Waste Tanks. Check them out at the below link.

Thetford SmartTote Portable Waste Tanks - Camping World

R/
Rick
Yep, I have the 18 gallon model - used it twice for grey water. All the models - including the other brands, really lack in the wheel catagory. You have to be careful when towing - I like to walk mine, sorta lika a pet when you think about it. I have towed behind the vehicle but fear a "RV the movie" like issue (NO - this was not in the movie but could have been) of the wheels falling off and me pulling it until the tank burst...........yuck.....
Attached Images

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Rick,

Read the reviews on the 18 gal tank. Not very favorable. Also the price for the 18 gal is $140. I got the 22 gal from Whitney for $99.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Been there...

The twink (24' Argosy) has a gray=15 and a black=10. We just completed a tour of the Arizona/Utah border with a lot of boondocking. In the parks with dump stations, some were a couple of miles away. We had some extended stays and had to dump black water too. Usually we just need to dump gray water. At any rate, our 22g was not too big to lever into the back of the pickup. Much bigger and it would have been really difficult. After a trip where I have used the tote for black water, a thourough cleaning with a couple of washes with hourshold bleach makes it sanitary. By the way... the cleanout at the house is real valuable for purging and cleaning the tanks and the tote is essential for that process.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I use a 12 gallon marine gas tank, cost $15.99 at any Tru Valu Hardware store. It has a large top opening allowing me to rinse it out and fit the garden hose in to it. When I need to empty the tank I either carry it or drive it in the trunk of our toad. This has been a great inexpensive way to handle grey water when staying at one spot for extended stays. The tank is red but I suppose I could paint it blue.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Add a bobber gauge.

The bobber gauge goes in place of the vent cap on your portable tank and indicates the level of liquid in the tank. A simple and effective way to prevent overflows.
Tote-Along Tank Bobber Gauge - Camping World

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Yep, I have the 18 gallon model - used it twice for grey water. All the models - including the other brands, really lack in the wheel catagory. You have to be careful when towing - I like to walk mine, sorta lika a pet when you think about it. I have towed behind the vehicle but fear a "RV the movie" like issue (NO - this was not in the movie but could have been) of the wheels falling off and me pulling it until the tank burst...........yuck.....
We also have the Thetford 18 gallon model, I had to convert the fitting on the end to our Thetford fitting. It works all right, but it had a Valterra fitting on it from the factory. Something I didn't consider when I bought it, since it was Thetford, I thought it had Thetford fittings.
Your Sovereign has a 25 gallon black tank, if it is the same as ours.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
What is the capacity of the black water tanks on my 71 Tradewind and my 73 Sovereign? The toilet sits on directly on top of the tank in the Tradewind in an area raised above the inside floor level. I guess it holds about 10g. I guess the Sovereign holds about 20g. What size/ brand do you use and why?
My 72 has a 14 gallon tank, I use a 15 gallon blue boy.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote