Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
1962 19' Globetrotter
Vian , Oklahoma
Question Argosy holding tank crack

Hello Everyone! Its been awhile since i posted. But we got the 74 22' rear door Argosy project started. And the holding tank for the toilet is bad. It has a long crack on the underneath side of the tank. Can these be repaired? I'm guessing not. So ok where do i find one to replace it? Right now there is no bathroom. Also the plastic sink top, Does anyone have any good ideas on this fix. It doesn't look the best. But it will do if it has too. Thanks
blondie3265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Show me some crack

you have any pictures of the damage ? there are several other threads going on right now about tank repair.
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Inca Plastics

The company that made your holding tank is still in business.
I had to buy a new one for my 1977 Argosy 22.
There should be a number molded right into the tank itself. This is the part number that Inca will ask you to provide when ordering a new tank.
Here is there website: Inca Plastics. They were extremely helpful with my order and I got the new tank pretty quickly too. Use the "Contact Us" link to get in touch with their customer service.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie3265
Also the plastic sink top, Does anyone have any good ideas on this fix. It doesn't look the best. But it will do if it has too. Thanks
For the plastic sink I used a two-part epoxy putty from Por-15. It filled and sealed a crack in my bathroom sink and stress cracks in the interior plastic endcaps as well. Make sure you smooth it out while it is wet. It is sandable but takes a bit of elbow grease to do so. Here is a link to the putty: POR-15 Epoxy Putty.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Polyethylene can be repaired by plastic welding. It is a solid repair if done correctly.

But I'd be inclined to replace it myself.......
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Check with TikiHut, I believe he had a similar problem.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
1962 19' Globetrotter
Vian , Oklahoma
Smile Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks for all the information. Yes i have photo's of the crack. Its on the bottom of the tank. So i'm thinking it needs to be replace because of where its at. I'm going to guess that it may have had water in it and froze. Its about a 7 inch crack. As for the bathroom sink i was wanting to replace it with a new one. Also some of the wood needs replacing in the kitchen what is the best way to go on this? Its a very thin wood i found 1/4 inch birch to maybe use. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
blondie3265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
Polyethylene can be repaired by plastic welding. It is a solid repair if done correctly.

But I'd be inclined to replace it myself.......
I agree with Sundance...
You can fix it but why risk it...
I was pretty sure my new tank cost me less than $150. That was the largest tank on the trailer too. It was the freshwater tank.
When it came, it looked just like the old one, only it wasn't yellow and cracked! It was nice, shiny white!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie3265
Thanks for all the information. Yes i have photo's of the crack. Its on the bottom of the tank. So i'm thinking it needs to be replace because of where its at. I'm going to guess that it may have had water in it and froze. Its about a 7 inch crack. As for the bathroom sink i was wanting to replace it with a new one. Also some of the wood needs replacing in the kitchen what is the best way to go on this? Its a very thin wood i found 1/4 inch birch to maybe use. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
What wood are you talking about? Is it load-bearing? I am not sure if there is much wood in the Argosys. Most of it is vinyl-clad aluminum.
If you are putting a new top on the vanity for the bathroom then pick up any old RV bathroom sink.
If you want one cheap you can get one from on of the many RV surplus places that operate in and around Elkhart, IN. One of them is Bontrager RV Surplus in White Pigeon, MI. I picked up a Magic Chef stove from them with a small scratch in it for about half the cost of a new one! It looked BRAND NEW.
Check out Bontragers at Welcome to Bontrager's Surplus Inc.
I am sure they will have what you are looking for.