Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Lightbulb Anybody know if a black tank will fit in the gray tank space on my TT?

I have a '74 31' Sovereign, and it's still equipped with the original 10-gallon gray tank.

I could have easily answered this question last summer when I had the belly pan off and the black and gray tank support rails remade, but I didn't. I never thought of this then.

Here's my story:

I bought a new black tank for my trailer soon after buying it, because the OP told me that the one in it was damaged and leaking. As I discovered after having it opened up, it turns out that he was wrong, it's fine.

Now, I'm wondering if there is sufficient room and clearance to replace the original gray tank with the extra black tank I have.

Anyone know?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I know this isn't what you asked, however, if you are thinking about monkeying around with plumbing, why not just add a gray tank between the frame? I bet it would be less work and you would get more capacity.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey Aage,

Would the frame on our '72 be the same as your '74? If you send me the diminsions of your tank, I can measure the frame sections for you to see if it would fit. I know we don't have a gray water tank, but the belly pan is still off of Little Girl, so I have access to the frame for measuring once the snow melts a bit.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Chris,

Good thought. I bet that the frames are the same, there doesn't seem to be too much difference through most of the '70s on the Sov.

I will measure the tank tomorrow and let you know.

Great idea!

Rodney,

Another good idea! I'm wondering if the welder/frabricator that repaired my waste tanks last fall kept a note of the dimensions...? I'll give him a call 2morrow.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Now, I'm wondering if there is sufficient room and clearance to replace the original gray tank with the extra black tank I have.

Anyone know?
Aage, one problem I see with this idea is that the Black Tank has a nice big hole in it for the toilet flange. What are your plans to deal with this hole?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Aage, one problem I see with this idea is that the Black Tank has a nice big hole in it for the toilet flange. What are your plans to deal with this hole?
OhhhhHhhhhhh.... yeah... Gonna think on it summore, but I think you came across a stopper there, Mike.

But thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Reducers? And then use it as a vent or inlet from one of the gray drain lines? Or cap the hole? Is the hole threaded? Just throwing out some ideas...
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
This might help. I had taken measurements for a gray tank last Fall. The word "seam" indicates where the plywood floor is seamed together with splines.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf little girl frame.pdf (24.3 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Chris,

Thanks for the thoughts on how to make it go. There is of course a hole for the vent in the black tank, and yes, the "input" hole (toilet connection) is on the top, and is threaded to accept the flange. The existing holes would be difficult to use though, due to where they are.

I think I'd have to be at the trailer to see how it all would fit, but it looks like there would be an interesting amount of plumbing to do. According to the the image I posted below (scanned from my 1974 Service Manual), there is a lot of plumbing and tank connections in the rear of my TT!

As you can see, the gray tank is smaller, and is directly beside the black one, with both tanks oriented length-wise front to back. They are drained by one 3" pipe that connects them together, and of course, two waste gates.

Just for your interest, here is the arrangement for the mid bath trail, same size, same year. Much simpler, huh?

I'm wondering if your '72 Sov is a mid-bath, or is it just that they turned the black tank sideways when there was no gray tank to fit in the rear bath model, Chris? I can't tell from the image of "Little Girl" that you kindly posted.

FYI, I took some rough measurements of my extra black tank, and it is 5 3/4" tall, and at the support lip that surrounds it, 42˝" long and 30" wide. The lip is one inch all the way around.

More to think over, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is a project worth doing.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow - quite a difference from my ‘72 to your ‘74. Mine is a rear bath, and as you can see, the plumbing is set up quite a bit different. I would hesitate trying to go by my frame dimensions after seeing how your tanks are orientated. At 30” wide, I doubt you could fit it in between two cross members and add it as a second gray tank. It would not fit in between the cross frame members of my ‘72. Perhaps a better option would be to buy a new tank that would fit in between the frame cross members forward of the current tanks, and then tying it into the current gray tank.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	96905  

Tags
tank