Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2004, 07:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
And gray water came shooting out....

Hi all,
Before I go ripping into this thing, I thought I would ask you all a question about our gray water tank. I searched the site, but couldn't find any threads relating to this question/my year trailer. While camping this weekend (PM me and I will tell you where NOT to go on the 4th of July weekend, in Gettysburg, during the reenactment) we went to dump our tanks at the end of the trip. When Andy pulled the cap off the pipe, gray water came shooting out and didn't let up. The valves were fully closed (which we double checked). We quickly hooked up the hose and since the top is clear, we could see that when we DID open the valve, the pressure was much greater. I know that a LITTLE bit of fluid coming out when you open the cap is normal, but not that much! Of course, we had a MR. HELPFUL with a fifth wheel telling us our gray water was spilling out, as we were getting splashed with it...thanks. Any ideas on what is going on? It is a 2000 25' Safari. Our black water sensor isn't working either...but that is another issue...
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!

Missi
Tin Can Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Missi.

The only way any liquid can be at the sewer hose cap, with the black and gray water tank setup, is if one of the drain valves is leaking.

If your sure that both valves were fully closed, then obviously, one of them is leaking.

Best thing to do is replace them both at the same time. Rebuilding valves is ok, but takes a lot of time. Then you take the risk of will they hold up in time.
Most owners chose to replace them, and be done with it.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I second Andy's reccomendation, BUT I would test the valves first. Leave the cap off, place a buckut under the outlet and fill the grey tank with fresh water. See if you have any leakage.

You could have had someone pull your grey valve and reinsert it as a prank. Just be glad it was not the black water valve! Ecccch.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
...but Missi's trailer is only 4 or 5 years old. Under normal usage, shouldn't these hold up a little longer? Is this a warrenty issue with AS, or is/was the warrenty only for a year?

Jonathan
Old 07-07-2004, 09:24 AM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Missi.

If it is any comfort, there are lots of us on this forum that have faulty black tank sensors, including my two month old CCD!

For now I'll eyeball the tank through the toilet until a reasonable fix is implemented.

Jonathan
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
...but Missi's trailer is only 4 or 5 years old. Under normal usage, shouldn't these hold up a little longer? Is this a warranty issue with AS, or is/was the warranty only for a year?

Jonathan
I think the warranty period is 2 years from date of purchase for the original owner, I would assume the warranty is transferable.

The valve could be leaking, if the unit was not winterized properly, or the valve had some debris in it the unit could leak. I am betting it was a prank. I have the original valves on my 78 and they don't leak as long as they are closed tightly.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-07-2004, 09:43 AM   #7
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Well this brings up and interesting question: Would it be better to leave the two valves in their open position during the freezing months (tanks empty, of course), or just keep them closed?

Jonathan
Old 07-07-2004, 10:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Smile

First, thank you to everyone for your responses....

Could it be a prank? Possible, we were in a really bad campground and I will say no more.

As to the winterizing, it was in Florida before we bought it this spring and he never left Florida. So, I am sure it has never been winterized.

I will test it first (I had planned on doing that next, once we got it home) and if it is leaking, I will have to replace the valves. I am of the same thought as Johnathan, wow, it is only 4 years old and it is already broken?? If it is, in fact, broken. I will keep you posted after I do the test.

I am assuming the replacement of valves is something I could do myself?? I think the nearest Airstream dealer is over in DE about 2 hours away.

We noticed the valve for the gray water is really hard to push and pull, the bracket that holds it up was missing a rivit, which we fixed, and the clips that hold the pull in place won't clamp over the pull. I need to do some more investigating.

I think the flashlight down the toilet will have to do for us too. From what I can tell, nobodys sensors works perfectly.

Thanks again all!

Missi
Old 07-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
This is a hint that something is amiss..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Can Crabs
We noticed the valve for the gray water is really hard to push and pull, the bracket that holds it up was missing a rivit, which we fixed, and the clips that hold the pull in place won't clamp over the pull. I need to do some more investigating.

The valves should slide easily. If the seal has gotten folded over in the valve body it could leak or be will exhibit some stiffness. It may also not close all the way. The seal kits are approx 25-30 bucks. You should be able to split the valve and replace all of the soft parts. This is a whole lot easier than replacing the whole valve. Of course this all assumes you have the Thetford valves. If you have the Valterra, they have worked about as long as they will. The Thetford valves are NOT cheap, but they last a long time.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-07-2004, 10:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Thanks Brett,
I ran the test...and as I thought, it is the valve, not a prank. Andy usually does the dumping, so I didn't notice any prior warning signs and what not. I called him at work a few minutes ago and he said it has leaked a "little" the 3 previous times we used it. This is just a whole lot worse. He thought it was normal to have a little water come out when you remove the cap...but this was very noticable. We will check the type of valve it is..then go from there. I am sure I will run into a snag (always do) so you may hear from me again!! Thanks a bunch~
Missi