Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Alternative to adding a grey tank, 60s rig

I was just reading the thread on adding a gray tank to 60s Airstreams and thinking about an idea I've been toying with to use the black tank.

This actually comes from the owner's manual suggesting that one keep the slide valve open and the cap on the outlet, forcing gray into the black tank backwards through the valve. The part I'm not too keen on is then dumping the rig. Just use your imagination.

So the solution I've been dreaming up is to combine a Thetford slip adaptor with a second Thetford valve:

(I'd still need the attachment on the far side of the valve, huh?)

Basically, then, you open the inner valve (allow gray to flow into black) while keeping the outer valve closed. When it's time to dump, you connect the hose to the outer valve and dump away.

I need more parts. And some good PVC-like glue.

Lynn
Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Lynn, I think that will work, but how much capacity will you gain? The normal 1960's black tank is only 8-10 gallons. You live in New Mexico, I would think NM would encourage the spilling of grey water.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Lynn,
I took the owner's manual suggestion at the first rally we attended without hookups. The wife washed the dishes and the tank was full. How did I find out? My son came out of the bathroom and said "Dad! There's nasty water in the tub!" What a noob! Luckily no one had used the toilet. I'm installing gray tanks now, but I'd go with a blue boy instead of the redirect method. The black tank just fills up too fast.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
I have used a 5 gallon utility bucket for gray water when at a rest stop etc. Just try not to fill it as they are heavy. this also doubles as my black tank hose and parts carrier.

Just carry to a appropriate drain / toilet / or dump into your black tank via toilet while on the road. i look at porta potties in a whole new way now at under funded rest stops.

Or buy a small blue boy that can be lifted or carried.

This method may require a new axle be installed first.
Attached Images

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Grey Into Black Without Black Manifold Contamination

Granted my 2002 ASCL capacity (grey / black = 37 / 39 gallons) is considerably more than your 1960, but I back-flow my grey into my black tank using the following method:
  • With the grey tank full, I leave the cap on the drain; I open the grey valve and let it fill the grey / black manifold.
  • With the grey valve still open I then open the black valve and allow the tanks to ALMOST equalize, which will lower the grey tank level down about 2/5ths.
  • Before the grey water has stopped flowing into the black tank I shut the black valve which keeps the black water out of the manifold so that when I remove the drain cap I only chance grey water on my body parts.
Incidentally, I use the same method to "back-flush" the black tank when dumping by holding the stinky slinky above the tanks level to back-flow grey into black, closing the grey valve before lowering the slinky to allow the black to drain.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I really don't see what you gain Lynn. As pointed out, the black tank is small to start with so maybe you gain a sink full of dish water or two. As pointed out, you would gain more going into a 5 gallon bucket.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yes and no. Gray water use is encouraged, but also restricted to certain types and locations. The state regulation is also designed so that local areas can outlaw it.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Lynn, I think that will work, but how much capacity will you gain? The normal 1960's black tank is only 8-10 gallons. You live in New Mexico, I would think NM would encourage the spilling of grey water.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
We're pretty conservative water-users. Managed on ours to last nearly a week at backcountry locations, in large part by using the campground toilet (and driving 30 miles to town to take a rented shower). We used a small bucket in the sink to capture gray water and dumped it down the toilet. It's just that it would have been somewhat easier to have a valve system so that no bucket was required.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I really don't see what you gain Lynn. As pointed out, the black tank is small to start with so maybe you gain a sink full of dish water or two. As pointed out, you would gain more going into a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Tote

Why not use a Tote? They come in various sizes and are designed for this purpose. "Blue Boy" is one brand name. You can get one at many places including Adventure RV.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yep, we've got a tote, and that adds lots of capacity. Planning on taking it along to Balloon Fiesta next fall.

I'm thinking more of those situations in which we don't really want to bother with the tote or a bucket -- and most certainly not (ever) with adding a gray tank to the rig.

Ours is a 67 Sovereign. I'm not very sure about the size of the single tank, but my feeling is that it has pretty fair capacity, probably enough to fit one fresh-water tank's worth of waste.

Lynn
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
No more volume than you are gaining, why not take 4" PVC and attach it below the belly pan in a zig- zag pattern up behind the wheels. I bet you could get a couple gallons doing that. I'm thinking a manifold type construction....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We use a 20 gal Blue Boy for the Caravel. Handy, as you don't have to hook up and move your trailer just to empty your wash water.

Our Blue Boy came with a nifty device to attach to your hitch if the dump site is farther than you care to wheel the tote by hand, just put the hook over the hitch and slowly pull to the dump.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Boondocking or Water/Electric only sites.

Why modify the drain side, just dump gray down the toilet.

I have a 2005 with 30 gallon gray and black tanks. I also like to take longer showers - I CAN do a PTA shower with total usage of one gallon but I just don't. I know, I know. At any rate after 4-5 days my gray tank used to be full.

Now? Paper plates and minimal cooking inside. If I can stick it on a fork and cook it over a campfire or charcoal grill - that's the way I roll. The fork or cast iron gets rinsed and wiped.

Longer shower is done with the drain plug in. Small pump with four feet of hose gets plugged into the generator if there is no electricity, and whoosh, the bottom of the shower is drained into the toilet. (I used to have one of those "drill pumps" but it's hopelessly slow.) A siphon with a built in squeeze pump would work too. I can go 10 days before both tanks are full, though I'm likely to run out of white water sooner. I do have a Jerry Can to pour more water into the clear tank, and I'm considering getting a water bladder for the truck bed.

I do use a "Sewer Solution" and have 30 feet of nice green hose, so I suppose at 3:00 am I could "water the woods" in a dry area... but you know even gray water stinks for a while.

Paula