Old 06-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Air Admittance Valve glued in?

After my last trip, my trailer (2013 25FB FC) had a severe grey tank odor when parked at home. One possibility is a problem with the Air Admittance Valve under the closet. Some earlier threads here talk about removing and replacing the AAVs as a simple thing. In my case, the AAV seems to be glued in place--I can see what looks like the same glue used elsewhere on the black drain pipes.

Should there be glue on the threads of the valve?

I have tried to turn the valve by hand without success. Should I get a strap wrench and try harder? How much force does it take to break a piece of plumbing I really don't want to break?

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I'll play, no guarantees.

Grey tank not empty or not completely empty?
How long did it sit? Any chance that the water in a sink trap evaporated out and el smell came up?

I did R&R mine, threads and hand tight.

IF glued, plan C cut it off and glue on a new threaded fitting and threaded air valve.

Pics?

Blame the virus.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
These SHOULD be threaded into a glued fitting - they (most that I know of) come threaded so unless someone 'glued' the threads it should unscrew.

John
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Went back to the storage lot and took a closer look. The other two AAVs have big gobs of glue holding the AAV to the top of their pipes. Grrr.

Another Grrr: The vanity AAV is just a fraction of an inch short of contacting the underside of the counter. I can force my finger into the gap, but just barely. So even if it was threaded, it would be hard to remove. And it does not satisfy the requirement that the AAV should be four inches above the connecting pipe, though it is close.

I'm going to buy a PVC-cutting wire saw and remove the one under the closet, and replace it with a threaded-in version. Hope that solves my problem.

And for Gary: We were camped for five days without hookups, no problems. Drove 100 miles home with partially-full tanks, parked in front of the house, then the smell appeared. We have since dumped the tanks and put the trailer in storage. With all the windows and vents closed now, it's not bad.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:49 AM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
SSquared,

Well dry P traps, it could have been an alternate fact.

I've run into several "things" that during R&R you'd swear how'd that get in or out of there? Last example was the alternator on my 2000 VW Beetle 1.9L TDI. It was UGLY!

Good luck.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Making progress....

Sawed off the old AAV. The inside is splattered with material. My wife wants to cut it in half and check the inside.

Our leading theory now is, since this AAV is directly on top of the opening into the tank, when we drove home with a half-full tank (on twisty mountain roads), the sloshing action splashed all the way up to the AAV and gummed it up.

We have the parts to put a new one on. We will make the riser taller so that it's harder for the splash to reach it. To make room for the extra height, we had to modify the hot water line for the inside shower. That was a real adventure due to the tight space under the closet. For a couple of the crimps, my wife crawled into the closet and positioned the head of the PEX crimp tool, while I operated the tool handles blind while lying on the floor. (I cut a hole in the closet floor years ago to get access for another plumbing problem)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
I think the Lady of the trailer earned an EXTRA special dinner for her efforts and idea on this mess.
S/OS #001
Old 07-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I think the Lady of the trailer earned an EXTRA special dinner for her efforts and idea on this mess.

For sure! Usually she leaves the plumbing to me and I leave the electric to her (she's a double-E) but this was a two-person job.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
The end of the story

I hope this is the end of the story.

We got the new AAV installed this morning. I chose the Oatey brand unit mainly because it was available in a kit with an ABS adapter. Also because it is widely available.

We made the stack of ABS taller than it was before, hoping for a little less splashing from the tank up into the valve. We thought about installing a couple of elbows to help even more but that seemed excessive.

One complaint about the Oatey: There was quite a bit of flashing on the threads where two halves were joined. This made it too tight to screw into the adapter. Several minutes of whittling were needed to fix that.

In the original configuration, the shower hot water line was right on top of the AAV. The difficult plumbing I mentioned earlier was to move it farther back. We did not have enough room to move it completely away from the AAV so w also are installing a strap to relieve the interference. If I was doing it again I'd make a more drastic change--maybe even replace the PEX segment with a flexible supply line.

The picture with the black AAV is the old one and the white AAV is the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAV_Old.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	372175   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAV_New.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	372176  

Old 07-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #10
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Time for a trial run, old AAV autopsy and a report on the dinner from the EE Master plumber.
S/OS #001
Old 07-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
that's fine you were able to replace the valve but I'm curious, other than mentioning that others have had occasional issues with the siphon breaker (AAV) I didn't see where you determined or confirmed it was the issue. There are lots of threads here where the problems were elsewhere. One way to confirm an AAV issue is to temporarily place a plastic bag and rubber band over it, then when the odor clears up (if it clears up) remove the bag and see if the odor returns. But even before that ensure the p-traps all have water in them as previously suggested. Also suspect a buildup of anaerobic bacteria in the tank and give it a good cleaning with a cup of automatic dish washing liquid and perhaps a couple cups of borax or TSP along with half a tank of water and a good hour on the road to slosh it around.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Pictures of inside of old valve

Brian, Thank you for your additional pointers. That's helpful information. In my case, the plastic bag over the old valve improved matters but not 100%, so I may still have a problem.

Now, about the old valve. It turns out the top is removable--it's a slip (force) fix with just a little bit of adhesive/sealant around the edge to make an airtight seal. The sealant is similar to mucilage or rubber cement.

The pictures show that dirty water did splash up into the unit itself.

The way this thing works is: The space in the pipe below is open up through to the top cover. The white disk separates that air from the outside air, which can enter a channel under the disk. There is no spring involved. Gravity holds the disk in place. If air pressure from the plumbing increases, that puts more pressure on top of the disk and pushes it closed all the more. If the air pressure in the pipe drops, the outside air pressure will push up on the disk and open it until the pressure equalizes.

There does not seem to be much that can go wrong. The close-up of the disk shows the ring where the disk seals against the opening. That ring seems clean enough to seal.

If I have another one fail some day, before I saw it off, I will pry open the lid and clean the inside, maybe buy a new one and put the new disk in the old body. I'm not sure what sealant will work best.

FYI, the writing on the rim of the lid says 'AYRLETT AIR ADMITTANCE VALVE NON-RETURN MODEL AB DWV 2-1 1/2"'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AAV_Old-1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	372625   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAV_Old-2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	372626  

Name:	AAV_Old-3.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	372627   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAV_Old-4.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	372628  

Name:	AAV_Old-5.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	372629  
Old 07-11-2020, 09:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Thanks for following up that was supper helpful. Hope I don't have that issue but if I do, I'll be ready!
Old 07-12-2020, 05:46 AM   #14
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
SSquared,

Good follow up, that's how to share info for future questions.

Gary

S/OS #001