Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
memphis , Tennessee
after market tanks & heat to black tank question

i hope i'm not posting too much and driving folks crazy, but i feel like i have tons of questions! i am wondering whether to replace my black tank w/ an aftermarket or pay the extra $$ for a replica. has anyone out there used aftermarket tanks and if so do you have any advice or suggestions? i found a tank that is aftermarket, rectangular in shape, and 18 gal. the footprint is slightly smaller and is 6" deep so i think it would fit. maybe this is a good idea?

secondly, i tore out the original suburban heater and didn't plan on replacing it except w/ a catalytic heater. this would mean i wouldn't have heat to the black tank box and i didn't know how big of a deal this would be? i live in tennessee and don't plan on using the trailer in extreme conditions. in fact this trailer probably wont get tons of use by me...probably 6 times a year...mostly in summer or fall w/ the occasional trip over christmas break. can anyone comment on what they have done to heat the tank or if it is necessary?

thx,
bob
rburditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Bob,

I've taken all the suburban heaters out of my Airstreams and I often camp in cold weather. The holding tanks are large and it takes significant time to freeze them (make sure the existing insulation is in reasonable shape). If they are partially full, a soft freeze won't hurt them. So far I've had no damage, but the days have always been above freezing, even if the nights were 20 degrees. This past winter I spent 5 days continuously below 10 degrees. The black tank was fine (small deposits), but I forgot to dump a little anti-freeze in the gray drains, so the traps froze. This was a huge problem to thaw, since you can't apply heat directly to the shower trap.

As far as replacing your tank with after market product, it depends on how handy you are in making the pipes fit and adjusting the supports/insulation. Most members seem to use the after market tanks for replacement. The after market tanks are reliable.

Zep