Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Accumulator Tank

After looking in/under/over we have decided that our 2000 Classic Airstream does not have an Accumulator Tank. So before we buy and install one to our A/S I was wondering if anyone has suggestions? Thank You!!

Barry
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Barry,
By accumulator tank I assume you mean one of those black round thingies that goes on the water system to reduce the noise? I have them on both of mine and it is mounted under the sink near the pump. Are you having hammering sounds in the water lines or just hearing the pump? There are ways of quieting the pump itself down.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
The noise is not really a problem. I was wanting to install one to give the pump a break from so much off/on each time we use a little water. And of course the middle of the night flush would be nice if everyone in the trailer did not have to wake up from the pump.
AIR #12075
Old 12-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If you figure one out let me know. I would like to install one in my trailer too.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
It seems like many airstreams come w/o an accumulator tank. Too bad! By all means, put one in! Install it as close to the pump output as possible/practical.
The accumulator reduces the vibration due to pumping and (which is more important) increaces pump life. Allows you draw off small amounts of water without the pump cycling. It is an easy modification and more than worth the effort.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Look for a small bladder tank. Well-mate manufactures them and Hughes supply sells them. if you can squeeze one in a spot it does not mater if it is vertical or horizontal. just set the empty psi close to the cut in pressure of the pressure switch. the bigger the better as to draw down ( amount of discharge). Location does not matter too much ether as long as you can run a 3/4 or 1/2" line to it. you may also want to check out the Flo-jet Quiet pump control. I don't have any first hand experience with them but are supposed to help to keep things quiet.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You can buy small plastic accumulator tanks made by Flojet/Jabsco in 1 qt sizes for about $35. Try JC Witney. They are about 5" dia x 13" tall.

Next size up would be about 1 gal stainless steel tank from Flotec. They are about 9" dia x 12" tall. http://www.flotecpump.com/pdf/Page_45_2004.pdf
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:23 AM   #8
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
If you have one where did you put it?

I am looking at the larger tank. 9" X 12" is the size and I was wondering if anyone has installed on for your AS and if so where did you put it?
Thanks, barry
AIR #12075
Old 02-01-2007, 05:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here's the one Sergei did, it looks like a larger size, maybe 11" x 18" tank. http://www.airforums.com/forum...93-post11.html

You can buy the smaller tank (in paint, not stainless) from Northern Tool for $40.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I think that the location for this application is not critical. A remote location may allow for a larger tank in some dead space. The more remote it is the more important it may be to increase the line size to and from it. Maybe go to 3/4" pipe to the tank if it is remote. The larger the tank the more effective it will be. They can be horizontal or vertical. Check out wellmate bladder tanks they come in lots of sizes and shapes. The tank being close to the pump is so that the pump does not cycle off before the tank expands. With the relatively low flow rates it should not be an issue. If it is you can always relocate the pressure switch to to the tank location.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Need for Accumulater Tank ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversled
After looking in/under/over we have decided that our 2000 Classic Airstream does not have an Accumulator Tank. So before we buy and install one to our A/S I was wondering if anyone has suggestions? Thank You!!

Barry
Barry----Maybe there is something I'm not aware of here but personally I see no advantage or need for a tank. It seems like while it would eliminate the pump start up with small water uses that when it did run it would run longer. I suspect the total run time would be the same. 2nd-- we have to winterize where we live so it would involve more to clear, drain or add antifeeze to,not to mention many more hose connections which are, no matter how good, the source of most leaks. As to annoying noise I've found it necessary to reposition the pump in every new trailer purchased. The factory installers never fail to mount the pump or adjoining fitting and hoses against something, wheel wells in most cases. I have found that relocating the pump clear of things it might vibrate against, generally only an inch or so, has made the pump noise minimal and not annoying at all. As to nightime cycles as some do ,if needed, run a little water in the toilet before bed time and turn the pump off. No need to flush everytime you take a "leak" through the night. We have an 06 Classic and the pump never runs at night anyway.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The advantage to having a tank on the water system is, Less pump cycling. This means less starting of the motor. Start up takes more energy than running. Fewer cycles also means less annoyance of on off sound of the pump. Once it comes on it will run longer. So the larger the tank the more benefit. As for winterizing as long as the tank is charged (air presser set within 2 psi of the cut in on the switch) It will not add to the winterizing steps as it will automatically empty its self.
All said I don't have one on mine. There is some benefit and I may add one at some point but it is down on my list and the benefit is limited I think it comes down to how much it bugs you to hear the pump short cycle!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Winterizing is a good question. If you install an accumulator on its side, you would have to tip it or the trailer to get all the water out... or could you leave some water in the accumulator to freeze without causing damage??? or just add antifreeze to the accumulator... Your thoughts?
AIR #12075
Old 02-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversled
Winterizing is a good question. If you install an accumulator on its side, you would have to tip it or the trailer to get all the water out... or could you leave some water in the accumulator to freeze without causing damage??? or just add antifreeze to the accumulator... Your thoughts?
I put an accumulator tank in, but it's verticle. Regardless, I believe that either way there should be a means to drain the line feeding or leaving the tank for winterization, thus the tank will drain too. I can back after New Years to some single digit weather. This concept worked for me.
Ed
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Get A Better Pump?

Instead of messing around with an accumulator tank, which is very old tech, why not look at the new generation of super quiet pumps. Some are rated at 4.5-5.5 GPM (not really necessary in an A/S) and are almost silent. No more worries about who will hear that after midnight flush !!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It depends on the type of tank. A true bladder tank that is essentially a balloon inside a tank. These can be on there side and will empty completely when the system is opened. Some have a diaphragm and may contain some water when the system is emptied. The diaphragm type would be better vertical.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I agree the tank would be better if vertical.

But really, who's worried about the tank itself freezing? Wouldn't the ice just expand into the headspace, whether its horizontal or vertical?