Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
ABS holding tank fitting installation

I have two black ABS tanks and fittings (no fittings installed)arriving today. I have searched and searched, but can't find any detailed tips on how to glue in the fittings, inlet and outlet. Do you just use the ABS glue or the acetone shavings mixture?
The '68 AS is gutted so I am replacing all of the plumbing. I don't think we have an ABS supplier near here so I was going to use PVC for drains/vents, any reason not to use white PVC? I have the ABS fittings for the tank drains and would transition to PVC?
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Are the two tanks a black water tank from Inca Plastics?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I found a local mobile home supplier has lots of ABS fittings and pipes when I did my 68. (no one else did). I used a new fiberglass black tank from Inland. It was expensive but saved me time and the quality was first rate.

Is your black tank below the toilet (under the floor) on your GT or is it above the floor? If it is below the floor in a box, I can give you a few tips on getting the holes in the correct position.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Tanks are from RV Plus, Ameri-kart mfg black ABS. I posted a list of all of the tanks they manufacture, find the part # then goole for a distributor of that part. Prices vary greatly between distributors.

http://www.ameri-kart.com/rv_catalog...ll/HT_ALLG.pdf

MINE are "blanks" so I will have to install the drains, I need to know the correct way to glue them in. ANYONE DONE THIS?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Totally redoing the back end of the frame,replacing 4 feet of it, tanks will be under the floor running sideways, I do not have the old fiberglass fixtures, plan on buying a shower pan.
I want to glue the fittings in correctly the first time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	184760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	184761  

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	184762  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Looks like the supplier on ebay sells the ABS shavings that mix with acetone for their ABS tanks.
They want $24+shipping for the shavings!(their tanks are high too)! Cant I make my own "shavings" by cutting up some ABS pipe? Is this better than the glue? These tanks are thin, so I'm leery of the glue, seems like the acetone/shavings method would be a better consistency to work with?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Anyone install new fittings in an ABS blank tank? Which glue?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I don't think you're supposed to glue the fittings to the tank; typically, its a friction-fit with a band clamp (for black tanks). Others may have threaded fittings.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My new tank had no fittings so the trick was getting them located correctly. After a lot of thinking and measuring I decided that marking the location directly was the best way to assure I got things lined up. After I had the tub and trim refinished and back in the trailer, I sat the toilet in the bathroom and positioned it exactly where it needed to sit. There was not a lot a leeway. Once I got the toilet positioned I stepped on the flush valve and with a long pencil made a mark on the floor exactly in the center of the drain in the toilet. I then removed the toilet and cut the hole in the floor where the flange would go. Next I installed the black tank into the galvanized box (which I had to build) and then put it into position between with frame rails. Now the top of the black tank is visible and you can just use a sharpie pen to mark the top of the tank through the hole in the floor. I then removed the black tank, drilled the hole for the fitting and epoxied it to the tank (my tank is fiberglass). Final step was to reinstall the tank, screw the flange into the tank from the top, secure the flange to the floor and finally install the toilet on to the flange. Everything fit perfectly. I had measured the old tank and marked the new one from the measurements. I am glad I did not do it that way as the actually holes were not exactly the same.
Hope this helps.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
That is an idiotic price they are asking for the shavings. I measure for the placement of the tank. Drill out a correct size hole for the fitting where needed. I take a piece of old ABS pipe or fitting and drill out numerous holes or scrape the piece. The shavings are saved in a baby food type glass jar. I then add MEK (or Acetone) and let it set overnight. Add more of you drill shavings as needed to make a thick mixture. When ready place the fitting and slather on the mixture. Let it dry and finish the project. It is not rocket science. Go to this posting and look at #3.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f89/...ble-95206.html
Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
thanks, but these tanks are fairly thin BLACK ABS PLASTIC with no holes whatsoever. In all of my searching I see that there are two types of "glue"
sold-but no detailed instructions. One supplier sells abs shavings(ebay $40 1 lb!) and you mix with acetone- to the desired consistency- couldn't I use my own abs shavings? or Will ABS medium glue work? You would be gluing to a hole in a flat surface....if it was pipe to fitting I would trust the glue, but just not sure?
Don't want trial and error.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
That is an idiotic price they are asking for the shavings. I measure for the placement of the tank. Drill out a correct size hole for the fitting where needed. I take a piece of old ABS pipe or fitting and drill out numerous holes or scrape the piece. The shavings are saved in a baby food type glass jar. I then add MEK (or Acetone) and let it set overnight. Add more of you drill shavings as needed to make a thick mixture. When ready place the fitting and slather on the mixture. Let it dry and finish the project. It is not rocket science. Go to this posting and look at #3.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f89/...ble-95206.html
Thanks Melody ranch that is the info I needed, I thought the "shavings" were just shavings and I assumed it was the best way to go, just didn't want to screw up 2 $200+ tanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
........plus I wouldn't have known to let it sit overnight, I would have been back asking why it didn't melt.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The original fitting on top of the tank was threaded and is about 3 inches in diameter as was the toilet flange. I had trouble finding a treaded toilet flange but my local ACE hardware got me one. A short piece of threaded pipe screws (a "nipple") into the top of the black tank from the top, then the toilet flange screwed down onto the pipe from the top. Once tight, screw the flange to the floor with short screws that will go into the plywood but not thru it and into the new tank.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You going to weld some plates to the sides to strengthen that weld area? It will be weaker than the original frame if you just butt weld it together. Another piece of channel facing the weld would be even better. Also welding along a diagonal helps.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvoldstuff View Post
Totally redoing the back end of the frame,replacing 4 feet of it, tanks will be under the floor running sideways, I do not have the old fiberglass fixtures, plan on buying a shower pan.
I want to glue the fittings in correctly the first time?
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Well after all of that, the tanks just arrived, and the drain fittings are already installed! (they were supposed to be blanks, that's good I think I ordered the wrong ones from VTS)
I just need to decide how to attach them...They are supposed to just be screwed up thru the subfloor (with stringers I hope)I'm not sure I'll do that I may fabricate some bolt- in flanges.
If anyone is interested....I looked today on ebay today and a supplier has just listed a very similar sized abs tank 50x22 3/4x 8 and it is $60 cheaper with free shipping! $159= should fit between the rails
These hang below the frame a bit you will have to add some metal and new skins.
I had a sheetmetal shop brake me up some channel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	184789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	184790  

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	184791  
Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You going to weld some plates to the sides to strengthen that weld area? It will be weaker than the original frame if you just butt weld it together. Another piece of channel facing the weld would be even better. Also welding along a diagonal helps.

Perry
Yes, I'm going to 1/4" plate the joint, plus I'm welding an extra 4" channel underneath that from the axle mount plating(with some plating there too) back to the bumper to help with the rear end sag issues and accomodate the tanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I just used black ABS glue when I put my new fresh water tank in my Avion. It has held fine for 2 years now.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
I just used black ABS glue when I put my new fresh water tank in my Avion. It has held fine for 2 years now.
Is that a "black plastic" abs water tank? The glue I found is medium bodied abs- it is black.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Yes it is a black ABS water tank. It is made up of 1/4" sheets of black ABS, glued together, with moulded ends. I drilled the hole for the fitting, which had a flat flange on it for the glue. And used black ABS pipe glue.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote