Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Tallahassee , Florida
95 excella thetford valve/bracket replacement

I need to replace the inside (gray water tank side) bracket that the Thedford valve screws to. I have a 25 ft 95 excella.

I have read a number of the posts on the forum and was hoping to get a little clarification.

I have cut the acess panel. When I unscrew the thedford valve from the bracket, will I then be able to slide the bracket forward (after loosening the t-bolt clamp, and then be able to take the thedford valve off and ultimately slide the bracket back off?

Or

Will I have to cut the pipe on the discharge side of the Thedford valve, glue on a new pipe fitting and couple it back to the dicharge "Y". I would imagine I would couple it back with a 2 clamp hose fitting. Kind of looks like a straight pipe is coming out of this side of the Thedford and then glued into the "Y". Is the end of the straight pipe going into the Thedford glued into the Thedford or held tight be seals/o-rings?

I know it can not be that confusing but before I started on the disasembly, thought I would try a getter a little bit better understanding. I probably just made it confusing by all my questions.

thanks, Richard
jasper2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Tallahassee , Florida
Thetford pictures

Still trying to figure best method to replace bracket that is attached to the gray water tank on a 96 25 ft. excella. I have the tank clamp loose and can take out the 4 screws on the thetford valve to bracket, but nothing seems to want to break loose.

The picture on the top right shows the hose clamps of the collector (Y) that goes to the black water tank. Looks like this fitting may have glue in addition to the clamps. Would trying to get the collector loose here and work back to the thedford be a plan.

Is the outflow side of the thetford valve glued into the (Y)? If so do you replace the (Y).

Called Airstream and they quoted me a 1/2 day job, around $500. Kind of crazy sounding.

Thanks, Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream thetford valve 003.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	94488   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream thetford valve 002.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	94489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream thetford valve 006.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	94490   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream thetford valve 001.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	94491  

jasper2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

If you are trying to replace the collector coming out of the tank;the pvc is glued on the other side of the valve. You would need to either cut the PVC and reglue it with a coupler or remove the Y as a complete piece out of both Tanks. While you have this out you can install rebuild kits in the valve and replace the collectors. If one is cracked the other one is probably on it's way.
If a dealer changes the collectors and rebuilds the valves it is a 4hr. job plus rebuild kits.Roughly $480 plus tax depending on Dealer Labor Rate.
You may be able to do it cheaper--if all goes well.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote