Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
90 degree elbow on sewer outlet

I have a 1971 21' Globetrotter. I am looking for an elbow fitting that I can mount to the sewer outlet so I won't have to lay down to hook up the hose to empty the tank. Some thing to bring it out to the side of the trailer would be nice. Has anyone done something like this on their camper? Thanks
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Sure but it's pretty rare to find a hole in the ground over which you can just drive over and let it rip!
All the usual camping places have a 90 degree elbow.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Check out any of the online rv parts stores and you can find 90 degree sewer fittings. The problem is if you leave it connected you will be lowering the sewer outlet and it could be so low as to get hit or broken by dips in the road or could vibrate off during travel.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Sure but it's pretty rare to find a hole in the ground over which you can just drive over and let it rip!
All the usual camping places have a 90 degree elbow.
I am looking for an elbow to mount on my trailer, I think you misunderstood the question. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoa Roller View Post
Check out any of the online rv parts stores and you can find 90 degree sewer fittings. The problem is if you leave it connected you will be lowering the sewer outlet and it could be so low as to get hit or broken by dips in the road or could vibrate off during travel.
If I could find a short one, I could mount it and strap it to the bottom of the trailer. I guess I will just attach it before I get to the dump station. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I'm not so sure about the 90 deg. Fitting.
All of my trailers have had the outlet coming out the side, but it's so far in that I would need to lie down to attach the hose. However......
You can buy a clear plastic extension that snaps onto the suplied outlet, and this brings the end out to the side where you can easily attach the drain hose.
What I do is to apply contact cement to the inside of the extension and then a large hose clamp over the cams.

This prevents the extension from coming off when you try to remove the hose. Where the hose attaches is coated with Silicone grease to aid in attaching/removal.
Easy-peasy.

Look after your equipment; it will look after you.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
Thanks Mel, my camper is a 71 globetrotter. The outlet is straight down about 12"s in from the side. I bought an elbow and extension to try. That is a good idea on the contact cement and hose clamp.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Here's the Valterra link but I'm guessing that you have a Tethford valve and they are not compatible with the Valterra.

http://www.valterra.com/product-cate...er-sanitation/
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod View Post
I have a 1971 21' Globetrotter. I am looking for an elbow fitting that I can mount to the sewer outlet so I won't have to lay down to hook up the hose to empty the tank. Some thing to bring it out to the side of the trailer would be nice. Has anyone done something like this on their camper? Thanks
Hello Nod

Many ways to do this

If you still have the original dump valve and bayonet you will need a Thetford adapter. As far as I know there is no 90 degree Thetford adapter available. There are 45 degree adapters that replace the straight fitting on the end of your sewer hose:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/category-s/106.htm

I don't know the plumbing configuration on the GT all that well but you may be better off replacing enough parts to be able to cement an ordinary ABS drain elbow in place, and finish it off with a bayonet. I would think you would want to switch out the valve and bayonet from Thetford to Valterra if this has not already been done.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/category-s/210.htm

The Valterra parts are available from many other sources also.

When I replumbed the holding tanks in my Cayo I incorporated a 45 degree elbow to make it easier to attach the hose.