Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
'66 Safari 22' Black Water Tank

Hello!
I bought a '66 Safari this past weekend, and now I've got it home and need to figure out what to do next. The metal on the underside in the back is mostly missing, the floor of the bathroom is half-rotted out (you can see out onto the road from inside) and all that's left of the black water tank is some shards, so I don't know what size it used to be. The toilet is still there, somehow being held in. I have found some fiber glass and plastic tanks and understand the benefits of fiberglass, but since this trailer seems like it will be quite the fixer-upper, I'd like to use plastic for budget reasons. Does anyone know what size tank I need, and where the fittings should be? We're planning on taking all the fixtures out and redoing the entire floor and underbelly, so I don't know if that means we have some leeway, or if it's important to stick to a certain size. This is my first airstream experience.

Thanks!
Caitlin
caitlinrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Santa Cruz , California
63 safari water tank

Hello, Does anyone know how much an original fresh water tank would sell for on a 63 safari? I think it is 25 gallons
Thank you
Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
Hello, Does anyone know how much an original fresh water tank would sell for on a 63 safari? I think it is 25 gallons
Thank you
The original water tank in a 63 was metal.

Most owners replaced it with the same plastic tank that was used from 1964 to 1967.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Pisgah Fores , NC
If you have the above floor black tank then you can get the Black tank from Icon Technology in Manitoba Canada. you'll need a bottem drain tank, # HT630BSBD. Just get it with no fittings installed and then do it yourself. You'll need a 7 inch flange to mount your toilet, 1.5 inch flange for vent, 3 inch female to screw in the toilet flange and 3 inch flush mount flange to connect the dump valve along with a bag of ABS chips for welding.

you can get all the dump flanges and valves from Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply in Vermont. He and I just worked out the list for my 66 GT a couple of weeks ago.

you'll have to do some ABS plastic welding to install the flanges but that is no big deal. Just do it on a mild day in a well ventilated area. Just give the Acetone time to work on the ABS chips and have good disposable gloves that can withstand Acetone exposure. You'll also probably be tossing the bowl that you mix the ABS paste in so go to the dollar store and get a metal one, no plastic! Acetone is available at most hardware stores, you'll need a quart can. Acetone disolves ABS and when it evaporates off the paste rehardens.

Water tank is available from many sources. Pellam is where I'm going to get mine from as they'll do fittings to your spec for free when you order tank. Think I spelled that right.?

Hit me off list if you want to talk as we are doing the same job you'll have to do on your unit. we have a 66GT we are just completing a Full Monty on. Building the cabinets right now.

Cheers, Rob Slover in CT
CtRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
I would suggest that you concentrate on the floor rot first. Stop any leaks Leaks. Then check the whole inside floor perimeter for more rotten places. Then decide to replace the rotten subfloor. This will mean that the bathroom comes out anyway, so there is plenty of time to think about black tanks. Read the floor replacement posts. Look over www.vintageairstream.com for tips and pictures. Your safari is worth the effort!

Cosmos
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966 safari, black tank