Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
memphis , Tennessee
65 safari black tank help

hi, i have begun gutting my 65 safari and have removed the rear most floor section and removed the black tank and what was left of the galvanized box.

my black tank has a large crack in the threaded portion for the toilet and the valve looks corroded and needs replacing.

i'm looking for what others have done w/ similar airstreams w/ regard to 3 areas.

1. what sort of aftermarket tank would you recommend and how did you hang it?

2. is the galvanized box necessary or can you build a strapping system out of steel to support the tank? when completely rebuilding, what is the recommended valve setup for discharge?

3. this might be better for seperate thread, but what is the best toilet solution w/ this airstream? i have the long bench that extends from the shower/sink over to the cabinet on the other side w/ a hole where the toilet was once attached.

thanks in advance for any help/advice,
bob
rburditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The tank can be repaired, although your particular problem is not what I encounted. Details on my repair can be found in my signature.

Aftermarket tanks will probably not fit your particular space. InlandRV.com probably sells an exact replacement. And fittings. The price might catch you off-guard.

The galvanized box is required to allow ducted heat to keep the tank warm in freezing weather. If you are a warm-weather camper, then straps would suffice, but there would need to be many to support a plastic tank.

Valve setup? A gate valve to allow the tank to empty quickly & wash out solids.

The best toilet is one that fits the available space. It is not as easy as it sounds in Vintage Airstreams. If Janet would add her thoughts to this thread, I will extend karma (oops, "thanks") for the third or fourth time for making me aware of [what she & Gary bought].

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Check out this thread on toilet replacement. I hope it helps!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...diy-39144.html
Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
memphis , Tennessee
toilet recommendations

thx for the link. i'm curious what the best toilet to use is in my type of configuration. is it the Thetford Aqua Magic V? i think i saw somewhere the sealand toilet would work well....anyone else have any info?
rburditt is offline   Reply With Quote