Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2024, 06:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2024 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Question 2 Dump or just 'hold it?'

Hi all.

Reading a lot of opinions regarding Sewer hose supports. Rather than buying another tool that seems unnecessary, can people staying at full service sites forgo hooking up a sewer hose (no supports, even if required) and just 'hold it' until full then hook up the hose and put away once drained?
navychief01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Of course. In fact you should hold the black tank and only dump it periodically. Whether it's worth disconnecting and re-connecting the sewer hose is up to you and how often you will dump.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Poway , California
Sewer Hose supports

I've seen all the ladder type supports that you can purchase and while they work ok try this.

Home depot, 10 ft rain gutter, I prefer the tin but plastic will work just harder to cut.

Cut it into two sections, maybe 4 and 6 ft. As long as you have a truck it is easy to carry. Simplest sewer ladder ever. Quick and simple even across uneven gravel and rocks which many pads are made of.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2024 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuscis View Post
I've seen all the ladder type supports that you can purchase and while they work ok try this.

Home depot, 10 ft rain gutter, I prefer the tin but plastic will work just harder to cut.

Cut it into two sections, maybe 4 and 6 ft. As long as you have a truck it is easy to carry. Simplest sewer ladder ever. Quick and simple even across uneven gravel and rocks which many pads are made of.
I saw pics where this was done. A great idea given the price for a simple 10' long plastic slinky. Never-the-less, since most of our travels will have short stays, pinching it off until full, then dump makes sense...
navychief01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
However you support the hose you need to keep the black tank valve closed and just dump when there is enough liquid to get a good dump. I personally hold the gray water also and use it to flush the hose after the back tank dump. We do not take long showers. I am just so happy when I actually find a dump connection that is lower than the Airstream outlet.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I am just so happy when I actually find a dump connection that is lower than the Airstream outlet.
That can be a problem.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:16 PM   #7
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
There is no need to keep the hoses connected except when actually dumping, but if at the same site long enough to do this multiple times it's much easier to leave them connected.

We've encountered more than a few campgrounds which require hose supports for any sewer hose used at their sites, so it's probably best to be prepared and carry a collapsable support just in case. They don't take up much space and are lightweight.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
There is no need to keep the hoses connected except when actually dumping, but if at the same site long enough to do this multiple times it's much easier to leave them connected.

We've encountered more than a few campgrounds which require hose supports for any sewer hose used at their sites, so it's probably best to be prepared and carry a collapsable support just in case. They don't take up much space and are lightweight.
Weíve been camping a long time and never encountered the requirement for a sewer hose support. Maybe we are due. Iím just curious why a campground would have that requirement when we eventually encounter that situation?
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The places we've encountered that required hose supports were for ease of mowing and trimming by the campground staff. We usually do not put our our hose until we're ready to dump unless we know it's going to be raining when we will want to do that. Always "hold it" until you have a black tank at least 3/4 full so you get a good dump, then rinse with at least 2 buckets of water ( we use 2 buckets and 2 toilet bowls full), then rinse the hose with the grey water.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuscis View Post

This is exactly what I do. I tow with a PU so putting the two rain gutter sections in the back is not an issue. I got mine, a brown plastic one from a Habitat for Humanity second hand building supply store. $5. When at a full hookup site, we take advantage of all the water. Doing dishes, taking showers will strain your gray tank quickly. Easy to dump the water when the hoses are hooked up.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'd gladly buy a nice hose support IF after using a couple times one 'hinge' breaks turning the accordion into spaghetti.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:10 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have been carrying around one of those slinky supports for three summers, its still in the box. I would probably have to unpack half the truck to find it. That said, it is rare that I am ever at a site with sewer. Normally, I am a go to the dump station camper.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'd gladly buy a nice hose support IF after using a couple times one 'hinge' breaks turning the accordion into spaghetti.
I had a hinge break (looks like it's common), was able to tie-wrap the two parts together, works fine.

No need to keep the sewage hose connected to the trailer. Even if we have a 3 service site, I will wait till we travel before dumping. It's kind a natural maceration process, and makes for a cleaner dump and avoids the problems related to solids in the tank. When I finish the dump, the tank water is clear.

I much prefer dumping facilities where the drain is at ground level (generally in concrete). I will often use the campground dumping station, which is often set up with a ground level pad, than use their above ground pipes (6-8"!) you find on many sites. That way I don't need the slinky support.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:07 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Oddly enough, we always leave the sewer alone until a tank is full. Once full we hook up, empty and then store all the hoses. Some friends leave the gray tank open and hooked up while staying in one place, but one interaction with sewer gases (even through a close tank valve) convinced us that was NOT what we wanted to do.

And yes, we finally invested in a collapsible slinky stand for it. While a gutter is great if everything needs to run downhill, if there are turns or bits of uphill involved? Nope! Not to mention storing a 10' piece of gutter. Yesterday we needed about 3' of support, but the hose had to go over the top of a cement basin edge. That hump required holding the hose while it was dumping until we found a nice, flat rock nearby that worked perfectly so there was no dip.

If we are on the road to another place with sewer hookups, we have also learned to travel first and dump later. Things move out of the tank much more quickly if they're been shaken up a bit..
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:15 PM   #15
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
Weíve been camping a long time and never encountered the requirement for a sewer hose support. Maybe we are due. Iím just curious why a campground would have that requirement when we eventually encounter that situation?
Like said earlier, the convenience of the maintenance staff is one reason. But, the one that stands out is the campground that had rather sharp gravel on the sites and they said that they had encountered many hoses developing pinholes resting directly on the gravel. Made sense to me.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Page , Arizona
A different solution.

To elevate my hose over obstacles to the dump hole, I use my leveling blocks. They stack in a variety of configurations. Which allow me to elevate the hose the way I want it.
SlvrBllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Like said earlier, the convenience of the maintenance staff is one reason. But, the one that stands out is the campground that had rather sharp gravel on the sites and they said that they had encountered many hoses developing pinholes resting directly on the gravel. Made sense to me.
I use a slinky stand which greatly lengthened the life of my hoses over the years. Also have been to some full hookup sites where the sewer hookup is elevated up out of the ground and that support stand helps provide the slope necessary to keep the hose from backing up. Typically when using a full hookup site I keep the grey water tank valve open. Never had any sewer gas backup since the sink drains and shower drains in the trailer have P traps. If I fill the black tank during my stay, I'll close the grey water valve the day prior to dumping the black tank. Typically with showers and other uses of the sinks, I'll have enough grey water to get a good flush of the hose after the black water tank is emptied.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
However you support the hose you need to keep the black tank valve closed and just dump when there is enough liquid to get a good dump. I personally hold the gray water also and use it to flush the hose after the back tank dump. We do not take long showers. I am just so happy when I actually find a dump connection that is lower than the Airstream outlet.
As a newbie, Iím curious if thereís a minimum tank fullness percentage to wait until to get a good dump? Minimum 50% or more?
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #19
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
As a newbie, Iím curious if thereís a minimum tank fullness percentage to wait until to get a good dump? Minimum 50% or more?
I have one of those supports but never used it so I unloaded it. Most rigs can go many more days on black then on gray, our smallish gray tank needs almost daily dumping so I rigged up a sewer cap with a garden hose inlet, and a cap for the gray tank with a garden hose outlet and I keep a gray water hose hooked up and just pull the valve each morning. Black usually gets emptied after 4-5 days, sometimes on the way out at the dump station. On that day I'll save the gray for rinsing the slinky.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #20
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
This is a question with one of those "it depends" kind of answers.

We like to wait until the black tank is 3/4 full or so. A day or two before we dump the black tank we'll close the valve on the gray tank so it will be full enough to provide a good flush on the sewer hose after the black tank dumps.

But, if we're camping only a few days and then pulling out, we'll dump whatever is in the black tank even if it means dumping a few gallons of water down the toilet to get a good dump on the tank.

« Sewer gas smell | Top | - »