Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Talking 1994 Sovereign 21' Grey tank valve rod ?

The Grey tank rod is missing to the Valve. Grey and Black Valve are both 21yrs old and probably best to replace. Is there a kit or just go to Lowes for all the PVC and ?? for the Valves.

New to me 94 Sovereign 21' . The handle and rod are both missing to the Grey water tank. The valve is inside the tin tank and not accessable. Where can I get a rod and handle? on the possibility that it just unscrewed over the years and pulled out.

The second thought is do I cut the corner of the Tank off and replace valve and all?

The Owners manual does not list the part numbers for this valve. Has anyone found out the correct Thetford valve part numbers and located a scource. I hear there is a new valve system that I should use? What and Where do I get them. May as well do both at same time. Also, any hints as to how to approach the replacement job would be much appreciated. Thanks
Tom Jansen
Castle Rock, Co.
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
I'm not sure if my '91 is the same or not, but the rods are extensions that screw into the original valve handle position and the "T handle" again screws into the end of the rod. If you can see inside of the cover you may be able to get a new extension and just screw it in. I had the cover off of mine and remember that there are quite a few rivets holding it in place. If necessary, you may have to remove the cover to gain access to the valve rod.

Sorry no one has responded to your request, you've probably got it solve already. Anyway, Happy camping.
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
James thanks for the thoughts. We did a shake down camp this past weekend. the Gray water rod is not missing, it is a tube with no rod in the middle. I pulled on the tube and it opened the shutoff. Now I have to clean the threads off and put on a handle. I purchased the Clear 45 Degree so I can see the flow . Don't think I will be looking very often. I put water in the fresh tank and turned the pump on . Blew out a feed to the kitchen sink. Replaced both faucets today with Moen , will fill up tank and try it again.
Now I have to figure out how to remove the Thetford toilet????? There are no bolts that I can see anywhere around. The new one has 2 bolt holes in the normal position. Looked on You tube , no luck. Ideas?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:06 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Check the Forum section about toilets, they are fairly simple. Mine is a Majic IV and has a cover on the front that pops off revealing two bolts, one on each side. Once those bolts are removed and the water line is disconnected the toilet should just lift off the mount. Check other forum for inspecting and replacing the seal, I'm using a household wax seal in mine because of the flooring thickness that I have so it's not stock.

If you are thinking of replacing valves, keep an eye on the other thread that is at the top of the list right now "leaking grey water flush valve" by pal07, there is member who put pics of the plumbing when his was done. He did a conversion from the Thetford which we have, to Valterra commonly available and inexpensive but very good products. For example, 1 Thetford valve is around $60 but a Valterra valve is around $15 so you could replace the whole plumbing for a way less than one valve and when you need replacements it's a way cheaper.

For me right now, I'm need a short term fix so I can go to the beach in a couple weeks. I might buy a Valterra T58 (Thetford to Valterra converter) and a Valterra T50 (twist on valve). See this video
If you notice, the valve body rotates on the mount so it won't obstruct pulling the rods. This set up will cost around $30 but I might keep it on after I do the plumbing back there.
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Turns out the 'tube' is the pull rod. There is a pin that held the handle on, Handle gone pin there. I stopped at AS dealer Windish in Denver. They had the threaded tube and I replaced with handle. Will shorten and thread so it is not out so far.

Tags
sovereign