Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1979 25' Tradewind
thermopolis , Wyoming
1967 Gray water Routing

I am looking at my newly acquired 1967 Tradewind and trying to figure out the plumbing. I plan to boondock mostly so I want to collect the gray water in a blue boy.

Looking at the way the gray water comes into the rear of the trailer it looks like Rick Davis described in a previous post:

"Gray water tanks typically have a 1.5 inch outlet with a valve that size and then T into the same 3 inch outlet (after the black valve but before the sewer connector) as the black tank."

I do not have a 1.5" outlet, (nor a gray water tank) rather the gray water as Rick says T's onto the 3" black water tank after the Tetford valve and before the sewer connection.

Does this mean that while boondocking I can leave the Tetford valve closed, put a 3" to garden hose adapter on the sewer connection and run the garden hose into the blue boy? If one wanted the gray water to flow into the black water tank then I could but a plug in the 3" sewer connection and open the Tetford valve. Is this correct??

Thanks, John in Wyoming
amoretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretti View Post
Does this mean that while boondocking I can leave the Tetford valve closed, put a 3" to garden hose adapter on the sewer connection and run the garden hose into the blue boy? If one wanted the gray water to flow into the black water tank then I could but a plug in the 3" sewer connection and open the Tetford valve. Is this correct??

Thanks, John in Wyoming
John,

you have it right. If you just put on a cap with a garden hose outlet the gray will
drain to your portable tank.
If you cap it and leave the valve open it will back up into the black tank. The only problem is you will have some fluid between the cap and the dump valve you will need to be prepared to catch in a bucket as you pull the cap.

We prefer to use a small blue tank, i carry both a 5 and a 10 gallon. instead of a large one you have to tow. (try towing a tank up a mile of beach at Padre Island)
I can set a 10 gallon tank on the tailgate and drive it where it needs to be.
When using the 10 gallon tank I can empty the black at 4 day intervals with a safety factor ( 2 people) If there is no dump station I can use the 5 gallon tank at 2 day intervals and dump into a toilet or pit toilet.
When boondocking in the "conservation mode" we use about 5 gallons of water per day and generate less than 2 gallons of black sewage
My goal is to never have to hook up the trailer just to go to the dump station.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I need to add to my post above that I was assuming that the holding tank is below floor level. If it an above the floor tank it will back up through your shower or bath tub drain first unless you can come up with plug that will not dislodge.. Had it happen and its not pleasant.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:

Thanks, John in Wyoming
The 67 does have the tank below the floor so you can run the gray water into the back tank BUT it fills up very fast when you do this and you then have a problem with the half a bucket of mixed water that shoots out when you try to open the cap to dump. (ask me how I know)
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1979 25' Tradewind
thermopolis , Wyoming
Thanks for the quick response. Now I will just bite the bullet and hook the trailer up to water and run some water and see what leaks. The trailer sat unused for a long time and although the PO said it was properly winterized-we shall see.

John in Wyoming
amoretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Now I will just bite the bullet and hook the trailer up to water and run some water and see what leaks. The trailer sat unused for a long time and although the PO said it was properly winterized-we shall see.

John in Wyoming
John, when you do, put the cap on the drain and fill up the gray water pipes till water comes up in the tub. Then check the traps and pipe under the bath tub. It's a hard place to get to but better to find out at home.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags