Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 Airstream Waste Valve and Tank

I need know if you can get a replacement seal for the waste valve underneath the tank?
and am I correct in assuming there is no grey tank and the sink and tub must empty into a portable tank?
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Pictures of Valve area

here are some pictures, if anyone can help...
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yes, it can be resealed. The tough part is getting it out after 45 years withough breaking anything. Grey water does go into portable tote, and black water is ten gallons.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Seals

It has been three years since I removed the waste gate and replaced the three O-Rings and resealed the unit to the black tank on my 1962 Safari.

I remember being extremely nervous about the process but it was unavoidable since the gate would not hold water.

Most important part is to be able to remove the fine treaded screws that hold to unit to the tank. My screws came out easily after many applications of penetrating oil.

Then the cast unit can be seperated and and you can retrive the O rings. The large O ring that sets against the wedged sliding brass door is probably the one that has failed.

Take these out, do you own version of extreme cleaning to all the parts. I used industrial strength cleaning products and then a parts washer. One thing I did was polish the wedge sliding door since it was rough and had some corrosion.
Then took the cleaned existing O rings to a local industrial gasket supplier and matched up new replacements. Get extras.

Then it is just a matter of putting it all back together. One thing I used was a high temperature brake pad grease to lube up the slide and set the O rings.
Hope that helps.
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Somewhere between NY & LA

o ring part #

I've rebuilt mine once before but it is leaking again. 63air was kind enough to provide me with the following info:

"The part number for the big o ring that I used was 568340N70 you will have to get it at an industrial supply. The small o ring for the handle is a 3/8 I.D.x 19/32 O.D. x 7/16 wall ,that one you get get at any good hardware store . Good luck."

I just got the ring in the mail. Haven't installed it but it looks like the right one.

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: https://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I was in Camping World the other day, and saw a dump valve by Valterra that would attach to the lugs on the bottom of your valve. It was pretty reasonable, I think about $20, and would save you from having to R&R the existing valve.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Somewhere between NY & LA

Overlander63,

Could you explain how a Valtera valve would work without removing the tank and fiberglassing it in? I've looked into this pretty exhaustively and can't see a way.

But if you've got one I'd really like to give it a try!

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: https://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek
Overlander63,

Could you explain how a Valtera valve would work without removing the tank and fiberglassing it in? I've looked into this pretty exhaustively and can't see a way.

But if you've got one I'd really like to give it a try!
What can I say? stick it to the lugs on the old valve, and twist a quarter-turn.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
valterra valve

Thanks Overlander 63,
I was looking for something like this before rebuilding my valve. It would be good to carry one as a back up in case...well, you know, just in case.
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I saw that valve at Camping World also , but I did not think it would attach to the Thetford fitting without some type of modification so I did not spring for the $20 .So it will fit directly? I think that would be the way to go but couldn't you still have a problem with the O ring in the handle leaking?

As far as loosening the screws, I sprayed them all with Kano first and had no problem. I'm convinced that that stuff will loosen anything. As for cleaning I used straight Simple Green and it did the trick, another product I think is some kind of miracle in a bottle.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I don't think it will directly fit a Thetford, but it should fit the valve in the original post and picture, it looks like it has some kind of Valterra fitting grafted onto it.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
When I looked at the picture agin, you are right it is different than the lugs on mine, I'd go for the twist on Valterra valve. Looks like someone made the job very easy.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Thank you for the help everyone... I will order the parts and fix it soon...

Tags