Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
1961 TW Black tank modification options?

Hello Airstreamers,

We just purchased our second (and last?) Airstream. We had somewhat outgrown our '64 Bambi II, what with our two little girls becoming young ladies, and all. So, we jumped at the chance to own a 1961 24' TradeWind Double; soon to be a Twin model.

I am deep into gutting the trailer to attend to partial subfloor replacement and rewiring the electrical. I am hoping to not have to tear it down as far as I did the Bambi. We shall see.

So...I am familiar with the outdated Thetford brass valve on the underside of the black tank. I also have a broken cast toilet flange on the top of the tank. I looked into repairing the flange with something new, and I think it could be done. But why not go with something new? Please let me know your thoughts on the following:

I have access to a VERY GOOD fiberglass man. He learned his trade in the Caribbean Islands fixing and building fiberglass boats. When I took my Bambi II black tank to him with a leak underneath, he was unfazed. He knew that tank, by golly, and had seen them before. He ground away the fiberglass encapsulating the brass valve attachment plate, cleaned everything up, reset it, glassed it, and chased the threads. Good to go.

I am considering asking him if he would be able to remove the top broken cast flange and replace it with a 3" male thread flange:

https://inlandrv.com/product/valterr...read-flange-3/

Onto which I could thread a 3" FPT RV toilet flange:

https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Floor-.../dp/B01N3Q10ZW

And easily replace it if needed.

On the bottom, in place of the outmoded brass threaded flange, could I have him attach a 3" RV sewer slip hub with flange:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/t1005

To which I could attach a 3" elbow, and run 3" pipe to the STREET SIDE of the camper (the original dump valve/tank/toilet are on the curbside...super inconvenient) and attach the dump valve there, where almost all sewer hookups are in modern campgrounds?

My thought is that I could have the components glassed into the original tank and thereby be able to add on modern components without fuss. Also, running the 3" pipe to the street side would allow me a bit more capacity.

I will share some photos of the old tank and components in another post here. I am hopeful I can use this old tank, in original configuration, and upgrade with modern parts for convenience.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Some pictures of the black tank, Thetford valve, and broken flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black-tank-2-for-web.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	383993   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet-flange-2-for-web.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	383994  

Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet-flange-for-web.jpg