Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Collegeville , Pennsylvania
1961 Safari Waste Valve Adapter

I need to replace the old style waste valve in my 1961 Safari. It will need an adapter in order to mount a modern Valterra valve to the existing BW tank.

I also potentially need a collector to accommodate the gray water lines coming in at 90 degrees. I don't have a gray water tank and the original setup has a drain line from the sinks coming in from street-side and a smaller drain from the shower coming in from the front. I don't see that sort of collector available so I'm thinking I may need to tie the shower drain into the sink drain line.

VTS offers an aluminum plate solution for the adapter but the only "review" I've seen is from Frank at FranksTrailerWorks. He believes the acidic tank juice eats the aluminum and will lead to an eventual nasty failure. I'm inclined to trust his experience but I don't intend to leave the tank full. I would only close it while the trailer is in use. But I don't want to have a nasty mess on my hands either.

Also, it looks like the adapter requires the valve handle to be on an angle but I would need it to go straight backward to provide access through the existing hole in the bumper.

Photos are on the attached link to my blog.

http://this-old-airstream.blogspot.com/

Anyone have an alternative, experience or advice for this situation?
TheHandyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Here are a couple of photos...

This is with the old valve installed, notice the valve handle going straight backward to the rear bumper.

And here's the view with it removed.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
On my '58 Traveler I am installing new valves but have had the black water tank out. I now have 2 fittings for the discharge hose. Inside I have a way to let the gray water out by itself or divert it to the black water tank with a discharge valve on the tank. Bummer is that the tank is only 12 gallons but I didn't want to add any weight.
Valterra makes an adapter to go from the Thetford discharge fitting to their hose. Here is a link, sure there are more suppliers but this came up on google;
http://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/Val...FUdrfgodU0gCGA
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Thanks for the reply. That adapter won't work for the 1960-1964 dump valves. They are "special" and the fittings are not the same as post 1964 Thetford valves.

Plus, my current valve is stuck in the open position (which is better than stuck closed) and needs to be replaced.

I think if I can get an adapter plate made of brass or even stainless, then I should be home free. But I wonder how concerned I should be of using aluminum?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I built an adapter plate of aluminum for my '61 Safari about 10 years ago. It is still working fine, but I must admit I have not inspected it for corrosion since. Considering the condition of the original brass fitting (no corrosion) if you are concerned about aluminum corroding then I would think that brass would be a very good material to use.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Forget the adapter - too much headache.

Instead, engineer your upgrade with modern (easy to get) plumbing. When you look back with 20/20 hindsight, you'll be glad you did.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
You lost me on that one Tom. I still need a dump valve, right?

Everything above the floor is original. I've debated getting rid of the toilet and BW tank, and that has it's merits. Then I'd just have to tie the sinks and shower into a common line,

On the other hand, everything appears to work fine as is. However, without a waste valve, if I connect to the sewer I can get sewer gases coming up into the trailer through the toilet. (I've countered that by putting a dip in the waste line like a trap).

Anyone ever tackle this project before?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I have repaired my FRP black water holding tank to accept new fittings. The work was done with polyester resin and a 12:1 scarf. This was allot more work than using an adapter but the ground clearance has to be concerned as well

Here is a link to that portion of the restoration;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...-122678-6.html
Not sure that I would want aluminum in there.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I made my own adaptor, it's been working great for several years and tens of thousands of miles.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1053457
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHandyDan View Post
You lost me on that one Tom. I still need a dump valve, right?
Correct!!

If I were doing this project, I'd start with a Valtera dump valve and work backwards with modern ABS plumbing.

For ease of installation, you might need a short hose or two to splice old plumbing to new plumbing. The hose will add "flexibility" when traveling. To obtain large diameter hose, visit your local industrial supplier (hose shop).

Keep in mind, so-called "adapters," if available, don't always work as intended.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Success!

It took quite a bit of "figuring" but I was able to get an adapter made by a friend of mine and install a new Valterra valve, collector and tie in the two gray water drains.

You can check all the details on my blog.

http://this-old-airstream.blogspot.c...lve-redux.html
Old 07-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Nice work!

HandyDan:

I tried to post the below reply on your Blogspot but could not figure out which "select profile" I had to use to get it to post there, so I'm posting it here instead.

Your Blog shows, with a greater number of photos than here, a wonderfully imaginative solution with a clear, straight-forward well-illustrated explanation of it. Nice job adopting a brand new dump Valterra valve to the original black water holding tank in your 1961 Sarari. Dump on!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHandyDan View Post
Success!

It took quite a bit of "figuring" but I was able to get an adapter made by a friend of mine and install a new Valterra valve, collector and tie in the two gray water drains.

You can check all the details on my blog.

http://this-old-airstream.blogspot.c...lve-redux.html
Very nicely done.
I wish you made a dozen or so. I would be a customer.
I am search of a conversion plate for a 1963 AS. (With 3” hole) VTS is out of stock. Anyone have suggestions on were to locate one?
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Yes aluminum corrodes

Just to confirm what you already knew before making your plastic conversion plate for the 1961 Safari I will share these photos of the VTS aluminum plate.

It has been on my Safari maybe eight years and has done its job, but the corrosion is definitely a thing with aluminum.

I am attempting to buy a conversion plate for a 1963 that has a 3” outlet. Prior years were 2”. VTS is out of stock. Not getting a real clear answer on when they will in stock again.

I may have to go you’re route and (have) one made out of plastic/brass/Stainless.

If anyone has suggestions on other available options please chime in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8A060C2-B4D8-4AB7-A07B-D9D69C1E4D2C.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	373426   Click image for larger version

Name:	99235F64-D81A-43F0-921A-0F97E7B493A7.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	373427  

wbcci #3363
New England unit
Old 07-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The 2” tanks have a bolt pattern almost identical to a valterra dump valve. If you slightly slot the valve holes one will attach to the bottom of the old black tank. I used a piece of 1/4” plastic (origin unknown) between the tank and valve.

The 3” pattern can use a pvc household toilet flange fitting that has no hole. I didn’t even know they made them but found them at the big box store. You can cut a hole that matches the tank hole and the fitting flange is large enough to drill the 4 mounting holes into.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
The 2” tanks have a bolt pattern almost identical to a valterra dump valve. If you slightly slot the valve holes one will attach to the bottom of the old black tank. I used a piece of 1/4” plastic (origin unknown) between the tank and valve.

The 3” pattern can use a pvc household toilet flange fitting that has no hole. I didn’t even know they made them but found them at the big box store. You can cut a hole that matches the tank hole and the fitting flange is large enough to drill the 4 mounting holes into.
Interesting.
Since I do not have that part to visualize I will have to look for one.
So how does the Valterra hub attach to toilet flange? Glued i am guessing.
Thanks
Gary
wbcci #3363
New England unit
Old 07-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Interesting.
Since I do not have that part to visualize I will have to look for one.
So how does the Valterra hub attach to toilet flange? Glued i am guessing.
Thanks
Gary
Here is the link.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f10...ml#post1053457

I got it from Lowes or Homedepot.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Missoula , MT
Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same position on our '60 Safari, and am hoping to add a gray tank at the same time.

Question: It looks like your gray lines are always open. Am I missing something, or do you only use the water when you're hooked up?

The previous work done to our trailer left the valve hanging way too low, vulnerable to being dragged. I need to fix this, while having separate valves for gray and black.
Bystickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bystickel View Post
Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same position on our '60 Safari, and am hoping to add a gray tank at the same time.

Question: It looks like your gray lines are always open. Am I missing something, or do you only use the water when you're hooked up?

The previous work done to our trailer left the valve hanging way too low, vulnerable to being dragged. I need to fix this, while having separate valves for gray and black.

On my ‘61, I rerouted the forward gray line and T’d it into the rear line. Yup. Some of these old trailers have 2 sets of gray lines that tie into the brass valve just above the cap.
Then I ran the gray into the small valve of a double valve dump assembly.
My main reason for this was so I could shut the gray off because going down the road, the water in the sink, tub and kitchen P traps slosh and end up down in the cap. Opening the cap resulted in a handful of gray water. Now with a shutoff I can remove the cap, hook up a hose and not get a handful of yuck.

On my trailer the dump plumbing is 1.25”, not commonly available but you can get rubber Fernco couplings and T’s to make the joints. I did have to make a 1.25 to 1.5 p.v.c. sleeve for the final connection. Luckily thin wall 1.5 pvc will slip over the 1.25 black abs. There is a special green cement to join abs to p.v.c.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
aluminum adapter plate

Hello,

I have the same tank/valve attachment plate embedded in my fiberglass tank. I inevitably used a plastic sheet to make the adapter. This was due to the thickness I needed more than anything else, though I did read Frank's assessment of the aluminum adapter plate, and he is a solid character and technician. I am sorry he had that failure.

That said, before I had my plastic plate made, I had two aluminum plates made. Both are available for sale if you are looking to go that route. I don't plan to do another Airstream renovation, so they might eventually just become scrap or a part of another project.

Tags