Old 08-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
12V solutions for macerator pump

I pulled the trigger and bought the Flojet to help with our semi-permanently parked AS. I'm now wondering what would be the most convenient way to power this thing as I don't particularly like the idea of fiddling with power packs or external batteries: I tend to forget to charge those things, and they are generally a pain in the neck

The RV pad we built has a campground-style pedestal with unused 30A and (I believe) 15A outlets, so I was hoping I could get a transformer and be on my merry way, but it looks like it will be more difficult than I thought: I seem to understand the 15A outlet won't be enough as AC->DC loses amperage, so at best I will need to try and rig something to the 30A socket - way out of my league and I'm not even sure it would work.

Has anyone found a solution that doesn't require long cables to the battery box (I have a 30FC) and alligator clips, or worse drilling the AS? I'd be willing to hire a pro if there is a clean solution that would work - especially if it's something I can bring with me when camping, e.g. a transformer I could connect to a 30A pedestal.

g.u. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I wired the power pigtail to the outside compartment lamp circuit. Now all I have to do is plug the macerator into the pigtail. You might have to temporally replace the fuse for that circuit with a higher amperage fuse.

Bruce

PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x eu2000i Propane
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
I wired the power pigtail to the outside compartment lamp circuit. Now all I have to do is plug the macerator into the pigtail. You might have to temporally replace the fuse for that circuit with a higher amperage fuse.
Thanks - I'm afraid that won't work for me: the compartments are all on other sides of the trailer and I don't seem to have anything on the sewer side that I can wire a pigtail to, other than possibly the undercarriage dump LED which seems a bit too measly for the job...
Old 08-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
I may stand corrected on this. I disassembled the dump light led and noticed it's connected to the 12v line that powers the water pump and comes with a 15A fuse in the box. The wire gauge seems decent.

The existing hole would likely fit this SAE socket https://www.amazon.com/CERRXIAN-Weat...dp/B07TB7XH2H/ - assuming I can safely change the existing 15A with a 20A fuse, it may just work and it would be perfect as the power would be exactly where I need it.

Heck, I may even try and cut an additional hole so I don't lose the dump light - not that I even knew it was there until recently
Old 08-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
Moved the thread here to the electrical forum where it probably belongs more anyways: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...ht-212837.html. If I get to do it and it works, I'll follow up here as well

Tags
12v