Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Winterizing - Floe Integrated Drain Down System

Floe Integrated Drain Down Sytem for winterizing. Any comments? Anyone using one of these?

Winterizing as it's known in the United States (and Canada) seems to be referred to as drain down in Europe. I just came across this seemingly ingenious integrated system that was created in Europe but is now handled in the United States by Lippert Components. The product is called Floe (don't know how to add the umlauts) and is basically a built-in air compressor allowing you to blow out your fresh water lines without the need for a separate tag-along air compressor. The product is available in 12V and 120V configurations.

This product may be old news to some but it's new to me. I'm very intrigued so I did some searching on Air Forums to see if anyone has experience but didn't come up with any threads on the subject. I apologize if this is duplicate information. If not, here's the scoop.

A video from the original creator APT Innovations:

and some information from Lippert Components:

https://store.lci1.com/flo-integrate...wn-system.html

and from etrailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...etails=.videos

I know it's spring for most of us but with some spare time on our hands due to COVID-19 concerns it may be just the time to upgrade your RV to include an onboard fresh water purge system.

I like the idea of the 12V system but didn't see specifications for current draw. The system comes with a 15A inline fuse so I guess I'd have to plan for that amount of current.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floe.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	365508  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Nice idea I’d like to know how many PSI it produces.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Silvr_bullet,

The video says the device puts out 15psi.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Not sure 15 PSI is really going to do enough and also it even says that the device has to shut off and build more pressure. The air compressor pump on that has to be so small. It's a good idea for people who don't have an air compressor with them. However a full winterize never hurts either and the water pump is already on our trailers making it easy to do with a simple kit.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
A few more thoughts.....There are some issues with this.

1) The water pump. Wherever you install this, there will still be water in the pump and the inlet strainer.
2) City water inlet. Unless you can hook it up to the back of the city water inlet itself, there will be water in the line from the inlet to the Floe unit.
3) Black tank flush. It's a separate system.
4) Low point drains. There will still be water in these drains, which on my trailer require you to reach behind a tire to open. The Floe can assist in pushing the water out of them but you still have to go outside and contort to do it.

5) Is this little air pump really enough to get all the water out? I've read stories on the forum of people who used a hefty external compressor and still had freeze damage.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
One of the issues that raises its ugly head over and over again on our forum is the frequent short cycling of the water pump, which is most commonly caused by a compromised check valve in the water pump. One of the common causes is water being allowed to freeze in the check valve.
If compressed air applied to the city water inlet is used exclusively to winterize the coach, the water in the pump will not be evacuated. The city water, and compressed air is introduced downstream of the water pump. This is efficient at blowing the water out of the system from that point, but water remains in the pump and check valve. The only way to clear water from the pump is to introduce the compressed air or antifreeze upstream, before the pump intake. This requires a winterizing valve.
With the winterizing system promoted in the video, it appears that the compressed air is introduced to the system at the water inlet, allowing water to remain in the pump.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I'm concerned there is not enough airflow to really do an adequate job. The inlet and pump need evacuating also. The outside faucet may take care of the inlet. The black tank flush is another problem. If you disconnect the pump inlet and run it dry you will take care of that one.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Interesting idea

Ok, so I am new to winterizing my Airsteam. I had my Airstream winterized at the dealer in Portland but because of the pandemic I have moved my baby to the midwest where i plan to keep it for another year. I see there are several concerns about how this device will work with our trailers.
My question, is there a publication or site that does a thorough job of describing how to winterize and dewinterize Airstreams? My unit is a used 2015 FC so having some info specific to models would be very helpful.

Thank you for any input.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Winterize With A Bicycle Pump In An Emergency!

"The Fit RV" has shown that you can winterize an RV water system with a bicycle pump. I have tried it and it works - although slowly.

The water piping in the airstream acts like the reservoir of a larger compressor air pump and will remove the remaining water out of the system after draining through the low points and isolating the hot water tank (and draining it separately.) It is easy to pressurize it to 40 psi with a hand pump.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
save your money. use your pancake compressor or bigger and blow out your system. no need to but another compressor.

i do that each year and use 45 psi, that 10 psi less that the intake pressure vale limit on our water system
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
I know I'm reviving an old thread about the Flöe, but...

Is anyone here using one of the Flöe units? How is it working for you?

Reason I ask...
I'm getting ready to start using our Airstream again, and this Flöe thing is looking like maybe a 'good thing'.

I fully winterized our AS after my wife and I got back from our last trip together, some 3-1/2 years ago. I fully remember how schlepping my air compressor up to my upper meadow was a real sweat, even then. Once there and ready, everything took way too long, what with having to go out and in constantly to re-pressurize the system again... and again... and again... so that I could open faucets to complete the blowdown.

Why haven't I used our AS for so long? In those intervening years, my wife's sickness worsened considerably, and she Went Home just a year ago.

For my part, my health had declined as I lovingly put every moment possible into her care. But now I'm taking better care of myself, and the grief is becoming an old friend, who will be with me for the rest of my days. I'm beginning to live again, and am taking steps to make Airstreaming practical when going solo.

Second question: I'm looking for something to make it easier to open that... fresh water tank drain valve. It's waaaay back there, and I was thinking maybe something like an oxygen sensor socket might fit over it, and give me the leverage to make it easier to open and close. Anyone ever try this, or maybe have any other tricks for that...?

Here's a picture of what I'm thinking about:

Thank you all in advance for your help, here.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
Is anyone here using one of the Flöe units? How is it working for you?

Reason I ask...
I'm getting ready to start using our Airstream again, and this Flöe thing is looking like maybe a 'good thing'.

I fully winterized our AS after my wife and I got back from our last trip together, some 3-1/2 years ago. I fully remember how schlepping my air compressor up to my upper meadow was a real sweat, even then. Once there and ready, everything took way too long, what with having to go out and in constantly to re-pressurize the system again... and again... and again... so that I could open faucets to complete the blowdown.

Why haven't I used our AS for so long? In those intervening years, my wife's sickness worsened considerably, and she Went Home just a year ago.

For my part, my health had declined as I lovingly put every moment possible into her care. But now I'm taking better care of myself, and the grief is becoming an old friend, who will be with me for the rest of my days. I'm beginning to live again, and am taking steps to make Airstreaming practical when going solo.

Second question: I'm looking for something to make it easier to open that... fresh water tank drain valve. It's waaaay back there, and I was thinking maybe something like an oxygen sensor socket might fit over it, and give me the leverage to make it easier to open and close. Anyone ever try this, or maybe have any other tricks for that...?

Here's a picture of what I'm thinking about:

Thank you all in advance for your help, here.
I don't understand the need to go in and out to re-pressurize the system, use one of these and leave it connected with the regulator set to 40 psi.
https://smile.amazon.com/Winterize-B...91&sr=8-4&th=1

I use a wrench similar to this one.
https://smile.amazon.com/RVMATE-Heat...ps%2C99&sr=8-6

Some people replace the plug with a valve like this.
https://smile.amazon.com/Heater-Repl...9NVTS98F&psc=1
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
...use one of these and leave it connected with the regulator set to 40 psi.
Thanks for the idea; that would be my next step over the adapter provided by the dealer, but schlepping the compressor all the way up there and back every time I go out (we always liked winter-camping) isn't a very attractive proposition with my old knees. I mean, they're getting better, but they're just not that good, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
...wrench similar to this one... replace the plug...
Guess I wasn't specific enough. What I'm looking for is a wrench to fit the drain cock on my fresh water tank. The tank drain cock looks like this white one, buried nicely between the wheels on my 27FB (closest thing I could find for a picture):

Old 08-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Guess I wasn't specific enough. What I'm looking for is a wrench to fit the drain cock on my fresh water tank. The tank drain cock looks like this white one, buried nicely between the wheels on my 27FB
Sorry, I read that wrong.

You could probably change to a different type of valve. This thread shows the valve Airstream switched to.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...on-236493.html
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Okay, thanks.

Any experience with Lippert's Flöe unit?
Judging from the current loudness level of the crickets, it appears as if I'm to be the guinea-pig here...
Old 08-05-2022, 05:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Okay, thanks.

Any experience with Lippert's Flöe unit?
Judging from the current loudness level of the crickets, it appears as if I'm to be the guinea-pig here...

Think about having someone do the task of winterizing and de•winterizing for you, maybe a Camping World or Airstream or SOB dealership nearby, for both procedures would probably be combined $300 a year. Winter camping can be done without the need to use your water system using bottled water and capturing it before it drains to waste tanks, also I have heard some use a plastic bag in the toilet to capture waste. An hour or so on YouTube can help come up with a plan. I hope you can make some new memories.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote