Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
Where is my fresh water tank petcock drain plug? '76 Tradewind

I have searched high and low for some sort of petcock or plug to the fresh water holding tank. I know where the tank is. I know where the gravity fill line is. Is the 12v water pump supposed to pump it out when I open the drain valves on one of the water lines?
Bobkatbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
My 77 doesn't have one. The only way to drain the tank is through the water pump.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RXLA View Post
My 77 doesn't have one. The only way to drain the tank is through the water pump.

Thanks! It's my first Airstream. First camper. Total noob.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:33 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In that year, ther will probably be a drain plug on the bottom of the tank housing. There may be a drain valve, accessible from inside the trailer, under the kitchen cabinets through the bottom of the floor.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Unfortunately Airstream didn't thing the drain valve would be used that much, I guess. My drain valve is located behind the forward tire on the curb side of my AS. Fun isn't it! Keep looking you never know! Good luck!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
I'm pumping it out with on board water pump now. Who knows how old that water is. It's still pumping. I don't have a key to the fresh water lock. So I can't wash it out with some bleach.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
just fiddle with the valves around the water pump. If you have a short hose coming off the bottom of the trailer somewhere around the freshwater tank then it has a drain valve.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi bobkatbry, welcome to the vintage Airstream community. I have a 66 Trade Wind and it is a bunch different than your 76. Back in 66 the factory installed a drain valve and line along the water tank plumbing to the 12v water pump. My tank is above the floor under the front gaucho.

But I have used the water pump to drain (most of the water) out of my fresh water tank for years with no problems. Your trailer may have a "low point" drain valve in the plumbing system. Look for a hose exiting the bottom of the trailer somewhere. (You may have an air conditioner condensate drain hose under there somewhere too.)

You mentioned you don't have a key for the fresh water inlet door. Neither do I on my 86 Limited. But this "inexpensive" lock is easily picked. I use a very small screwdriver through the keyhole and feel the tumblers. I lift them, and then rotate the lock. I've been doing this for 10 years as I never felt the need to replace the lock. This might work for you.

I always "bleach" the fresh water system in the spring and / or before a trip. I add a half cup of bleach to the fresh water tank, pump it to each faucet (kitchen and bath) and then let it sit overnight. This will kill any unwanted bacteria. Then I drain, fill, flush, and repeat until I don't have a chlorine taste in the water. I have read others do this too.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I have a 1976 Globetrotter and have been looking for the water drain for the 17 years that I've owned it. I scoured the owner's manual, and I don't see that it has one (other than two drains for winterizing the hot/cold plumbing lines). I guess this string confirms that I am not going to find a proper drain.... very disappointing. As well thought out as this AS is, it is hard for me to understand why AS would have left this very important feature out.
Diesel Dude is offline   Reply With Quote