Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
When is tank full and refreshing the water

Quick question - I hear there is a bleach to water ratio that is often used to "refresh" the fresh water for use. Do you agree that it works and what ratio do you use?

Second really basic question - how do I know when the fresh water tank is full? I know how to fill it - but do I just keep going until it leaks out of the location I am filling?
hp2196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! About a cup of bleach per tankful, yes it is said to work, and we do it each Spring when summerizing the trailer. Leave in system for a couple of hours then flush flush flush with city water.

Here are some helpful earlier threads FYI, using the search function above in the blue box:

https://www.google.com/search?q=blea...=airforums.com

Yes, fill the tank until it overflows, but don't jam the hose in the fill tube so as to create hydrostatic pressure.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
To fill the FW tank on the three AS trailers I have owned I stand by the fill spout and listen for a gurgle. Its a bit boring but eliminates overfill problems. X2 on Peter's bleach advice.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
10ml Bleach per 30 Gallons Fresh Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
About a cup of bleach per tankful ...
This dosage may be a bit on the extreme side. I need less than 10ml of bleach (1.5 teaspoons) for my 29 gallon tank.

Clorox company recommends: "If you have a tank with clear water that you simply want to make sure is safe to drink or use for human contact (hand washing, laundry, etc.), then you can follow the protocol for emergency disinfection of drinking water. In that case, the correct ratio of bleach is ½ teaspoon Clorox® Regular-Bleach per 10 gallons of water (or for a smaller size container, 2 drops per quart). Stir the bleach into the water and let stand 30 minutes. Properly treated water should have a slight chlorine odor—if not, repeat the dosage and let stand an additional 15 minutes.
Read more at https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/bl...zWg4AziC3Qg.99 "

But like much advice on this forum many here feel that if is worth doing you might as well over do it ( e.g. diesel trucks, tire inflation PSI etc. ��)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ray, apples and oranges?

My one cup advice was for a two-hour shock treatment, followed by flush flush flush. Your ratio is for adding to the tank WITHOUT flushing.

Please read more carefully and save the "over do it" judgments.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, the sanitizing process the beginning of each season is critical.

Instead of trying to get liquid bleach into my fresh water tank, I carry the bleach tablets you can buy everywhere.

1 tablet = 1 cup of bleach, drop it in the tank and off you go.

No muss, no fuss.

Maggie
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
This dosage may be a bit on the extreme side. I need less than 10ml of bleach (1.5 teaspoons) for my 29 gallon tank.

But like much advice on this forum many here feel that if is worth doing you might as well over do it ( e.g. diesel trucks, tire inflation PSI etc. ��)
Peter's ratio was to disinfect the tank, then drain and flush. Hardly 'overdoing it.'

Your ratio is for treating water that will be used or consumed. Whole different thing. Not even a subtle difference.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post

Clorox company recommends: "If you have a tank with clear water that you simply want to make sure is safe to drink or use for human contact (hand washing, laundry, etc.), then you can follow the protocol for emergency disinfection of drinking water. In that case, the correct ratio of bleach is ½ teaspoon Clorox® Regular-Bleach per 10 gallons of water (or for a smaller size container, 2 drops per quart). Stir the bleach into the water and let stand 30 minutes. Properly treated water should have a slight chlorine odor—if not, repeat the dosage and let stand an additional 15 minutes.
Read more at https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/bl...zWg4AziC3Qg.99 "

Thanks for all the useful info.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Ray, apples and oranges?

My one cup advice was for a two-hour shock treatment, followed by flush flush flush. Your ratio is for adding to the tank WITHOUT flushing.

Please read more carefully and save the "over do it" judgments.

Thanks,

Peter
I read the OP and my interpretation was the question related to how to treat the drinking water with bleach, for consumption, to be sure it is safe. IMO, based on years of using fresh water tanks in sailboats and trailers that there is no need for a 'shock' treatment. YMMV.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Thank you

Thanks all - I have what I need. See you on the road.
hp2196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I never have,I always use city water in my holding tank , because it has chlorine and that works fine...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote