Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1995 34' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
What the #$^& is this thing?

Okay,

So we're in the middle of renovating our 25' 1991 Excella. We've started working on the plumbing and get to the connecting line between the white water tank and the pump only to discover this daisy chained mess of parts in a long string. Can anyone identify this? It seem really complicated. I'm assuming it has something to do with the pump switch, or pressure sensor....but I was wondering if such a long string of metal parts is necessary. Is there anything newer/simpler that I should install?

Thanks,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150208_130748.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	235146  
vincaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Do you have an auto fill switch on your range hood over the stove ? If so one of those things could be the solenoid activated by that switch which will fill the freshwater tank while city water is hooked up . Then you don`t have to manually fill it with water hose.
My 91 34ft had that feature.
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Well the silver thing is a check valve. The arrow shows the direction of flow. The black item is a solenoid valve. Most likely it shuts when the pump cycles off. That would help maintain the pressure if the check leaked.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincaroo View Post
So we're in the middle of renovating our 25' 1991 Excella. We've started working on the plumbing and get to the connecting line between the white water tank and the pump only to discover this daisy chained mess of parts in a long string. Can anyone identify this? It seem really complicated. I'm assuming it has something to do with the pump switch, or pressure sensor....but I was wondering if such a long string of metal parts is necessary. Is there anything newer/simpler that I should install?
Cylindrical gizmo with the arrow is probably a check valve (AKA backflow preventer), the arrow showing the direction of flow.

Don't even want to hazard a guess about the black box with the wires. For all I know, it could be a GNDN valve (GNDN - Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing).
Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looks like something Rube Goldburg would be proud of.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The black gadget with the red wires could also be a pressure switch. That would be an odd application though - maybe a switch that opens under a slight vacuum so you don't collapse your white water tank if the vent gets plugged up.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The black box with the wires protruding from it IS a solenoid valve, which might possibly be used for an auto-fill device. Many large motor homes use a similar (but much newer) device for the same purpose. The cylinder with the arrow is a check valve, or back-flow preventer. It certainly looks like a Rube Goldberg (shade tree plumber) installation with the much smaller diameter copper used to attach it to the grey tubing.

Of more concern is the polybutylene tubing that is evident everywhere. If it were my trailer, I would remove ALL of it at your first opportunity. It is known to fail in a variety of situations. Just Google it and start to read the chronicles.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

coincidence????

I add my antifreeze between the freshwater tank and the pump. I used to have to take it apart to add the antifreeze. I let the pump suck up the antifreeze. The fresh tank left unhooked so I didn't get antifreeze in it. I added valves so I didn't have to take it apart.

That would have been an easy place to add check valves. And also a common spot to need to make repairs
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Looks like something Rube Goldburg would be proud of.
AKA standard factory installation... you should have seen some of the creative plumbing in my 1975.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Seen many of them in my day. That my friends is a Flux Capacitor!
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1995 34' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
Hey guys.....
Yes, the polybuylene tubing is the reason why we're replacing all of our plumbing, thanks Leswter.
Yes, we have an autofill on the control panel over the range, so I'll guess that you guys are right that the black wired thingy is a solenoid....any need to replace it if it still works (it did last season)?
Okay, the cylindrical doohickey is a check valve...should I replace this....or how do I know if its working?
Indeed, this is definitely a "Rube Goldburg"...do you think I can eliminate all of the unnecessary "stuff" with my replacement plumbing or are the diameters of the pipes in a pressure sensitive area relevant (i.e. could I screw it up if I replace with my new plumbing)?

Wow....you guys always amaze me...we're so fortunate to have such a great and supportive community!

Jeff
vincaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #12

2005 19' International CCD
Selbyville , Delaware
It's probably a switch for the pump

It looks like a typical marine pump set up. The flow valve stops water and pressure from going back into the water tank when the system is not hooked to a pressurized water supply. The black box detects pressure on the pipes leading to the faucets. If someone opens a faucet, the black box detects the pressure drop between the flow valve and the faucet and the relay inside the black box connects the pump to the battery so that water is pumped to the faucets. The installation uses compression fittings to match copper tubing to the plastic pipes. If you disconnect the water system from city water, you should hear the pump cycle on when you turn on a faucet. If it does not, check whether the wires from the black box go to a pump and whether they are live when the system has an open faucet.
Dowler is offline   Reply With Quote