Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Clinton , Louisiana
What is this?? Please!

Ok this setup is coming up thru the rear floor of the AS. I don't know if there was something here from the factory or not. This is a 1976 Excella 500 with center bath. It had the twin bed setup in the rear. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks in advance.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/160703110@N02/f95265

www.sweetadelida.com
Adinafloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Clinton , Louisiana
Please help, No clue what this is!

This setup is coming thru the rear floor. I don't know if it was factory or some setup from past owner. It is in the rear of the AS, where a twin bed would be. This is a 1976 Excella 500. Please help me out. Thanks in advance

https://www.flickr.com/gp/160703110@N02/kKHa65

www.sweetadelida.com
Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Looks like your city water inlet (there's a pressure regulator there) and some valves, with a fair amount of "aftermarket" work done to it, like that flexible hose that probably replaced a burst piece of copper after a freeze, etc. I'd plan to remove all of that spaghetti and replumb with pex if I were renovating.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Clinton , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'd plan to remove all of that spaghetti and replumb with pex if I were renovating.
Thank you, she will be completely gutted but Im gonna be learning as I go. I have just never seen a mess like that and no clue why it was there. After reading thru all of you fine folks posts I will definitely going back n with PEX.

www.sweetadelida.com
Old 11-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
It's all fresh water related.

To me, it looks like it has been modified several times. Time for replumbing since it is exposed.

The fresh water supply pipe comes in from the exterior to the pressure regulator.

The two valves with red handles are drains for winterizing.

There should be a backflow preventer/check valve and a pressure relief valve in the fresh water pipe after the pressure regulator, but I can't see because of the photo quality.

There should be three pipes routed to the exterior, from both drain valves and also from the pressure relief valve.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
This is a link to the Owners Manual for a 1976 Excella 500. There's some photos and explanations in it.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...xcella-500.pdf
Old 11-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Note: I have merged these duplicate threads and moved them from the propane subforum to the fresh-water forum.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
100 Mile House , British Columbia
Hi there. Checked out your blog. There are many of us out there who are just beginning this renovation journey. We chose Airstream because of the vast online resources. So take heart! You're not alone.
Old Farm Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
That era of AS had copper piping, so as noted earlier the plumbing was probably damaged and PO used the easy way out with flexible hose.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Clinton , Louisiana
A W Warn, again, Thank you! You totally rock!

Old Farm Guy, Are you documenting your journey? I would love to follow your progress as well. Learning with and from others is a great thing!

JCWDCW It looks crazy for sure..lol. Gonna replace that mess. Thank you

www.sweetadelida.com
Old 12-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Lenexa , Kansas
Hi Adina,

Best of luck on your renovation! As someone who has undergone this same process fairly recently with an old Excella (https://runningfromordinary.com), I can say it's a lot of work , but definitely worth it! We just returned from a sixth month trip in ours and plan on heading back out again in March.

Feel free to reach out if you get stuck/need any advice.
ctaulborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you *do* decide to go the PEX route, make sure you do it right. The pipe is one part of the system, the fittings to link the pipe are the next part. Both need to be PEX to get the full benefit.

The pipe and fittings are held together with swaged fittings. These magic little bands need to be put on with the proper tool in order to work properly. Resist the temptation to just smash them on with a pair of pliers

The cutting tools and deburring tools for PEX are cheap so there is no real reason to avoid them. You can also cut and deburr the pipe with fairly normal tools if you wish.

The pipe can come in fairly big spools. As with a lot of things, the bigger the bulk, the lower the price per foot. It is tempting to just go with all one spool. Five years from now you will be happier if you keep one color for cold and another for hot ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #13

1973 Argosy 26
Ruther Glen , Virginia
Looks like someone installed a pressure regulator to you AS. Not factory.
26Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I remember this setup in my '77 Excella 500 with the twin beds and center bath. It was for fresh water input. Had the same two valves and pressure regulator. I junked it all!
Water plumbing coming from the driver's rear corner, up the side of the wheel well to up under the pantry, then cross under the floor to come out under the kitchen sink is all JUST ASKING FOR A FREEZE UP. The kitchen sink, pump and tank inlets, shower, bathroom sink and toilet are all running down the passenger wall. The charge converter blows warm air down that wall, behind the shower and under the bath sink.
I replumbed my whole water system down that wall so the charge controller can help keep the pipes thawed, so now my water hose connects on the right side just under the kitchen window.
It was 20° last year in Arkansas, no problem.
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge12212 View Post
I remember this setup in my '77 Excella 500 with the twin beds and center bath. It was for fresh water input. Had the same two valves and pressure regulator. I junked it all!
Water plumbing coming from the driver's rear corner, up the side of the wheel well to up under the pantry, then cross under the floor to come out under the kitchen sink is all JUST ASKING FOR A FREEZE UP. The kitchen sink, pump and tank inlets, shower, bathroom sink and toilet are all running down the passenger wall. The charge converter blows warm air down that wall, behind the shower and under the bath sink.
I replumbed my whole water system down that wall so the charge controller can help keep the pipes thawed, so now my water hose connects on the right side just under the kitchen window.
It was 20° last year in Arkansas, no problem.
Hi

Then you replace the Univolt with something that is 5X more efficient (in terms of % loss) and it no longer works as a heater Now you have to re-rig the whole area ....

Sometimes you just can't win .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote