Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
What glue should I use to fix a small crack in my freshwater tank?

Hi everyone,

I have discovered the source of the small leak in my fresh water tank. My tank is L-shaped and at the top of the tank in the inside of the L-angle, I found a very fine crack in the tank.

I discovered this very scientifically; I took my shop vac, hooked the hose to the blower side, made a funnel out of a 2L pop bottle, then lightly pressurized the tank. Had my wife hold the funnel and hose assembly to the fresh water inlet door and I went inside and reached through an access door to find where the air was coming from. The low pressure air worked like a charm

So my tank is the standard white plastic material. I would guess it is polyethylene or polypropylene. What glue should I use to fix this hairline crack? 2-part epoxy? PVC cement? Model airplane glue? I don't have easy access to a plastic welder either. Would prefer to just glue it shut if possible.

There's really not much room to glue another piece of patch over it. I don't think that I really need a patch; the crack isn't even visible to the eye. But you can feel air coming through it. The leak was about a drop every 15 seconds, but I lost probably 10 gallons over a weekend and it's not good for the floor/belly pan. I want to fuse the plastic shut.

I am fortunate in where the leak is located. It is relatively easy to get at. I just need to find out what the right glue is for this. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Hi everyone,

I have discovered the source of the small leak in my fresh water tank. My tank is L-shaped and at the top of the tank in the inside of the L-angle, I found a very fine crack in the tank.

I discovered this very scientifically; I took my shop vac, hooked the hose to the blower side, made a funnel out of a 2L pop bottle, then lightly pressurized the tank. Had my wife hold the funnel and hose assembly to the fresh water inlet door and I went inside and reached through an access door to find where the air was coming from. The low pressure air worked like a charm

So my tank is the standard white plastic material. I would guess it is polyethylene or polypropylene. What glue should I use to fix this hairline crack? 2-part epoxy? PVC cement? Model airplane glue? I don't have easy access to a plastic welder either. Would prefer to just glue it shut if possible.

There's really not much room to glue another piece of patch over it. I don't think that I really need a patch; the crack isn't even visible to the eye. But you can feel air coming through it. The leak was about a drop every 15 seconds, but I lost probably 10 gallons over a weekend and it's not good for the floor/belly pan. I want to fuse the plastic shut.

I am fortunate in where the leak is located. It is relatively easy to get at. I just need to find out what the right glue is for this. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
Glue is a no-no.

For a quick repair, for a "small" crack, fuse it back together with a small "soldering iron." Or, melt some of the same material, scuff the surface, and pour it on.

That tank is a crazy design and it's been obsolete for 30 plus years, so be careful.

I have the drawing for it and no one wants to get involved making it again, unless you order 25 or more.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
I'm getting ready to repair some cracks in my black water tank (low density polyethylene), and I'll be using Scotchweld 8005. I should know how it worked by this time next week. Copy and paste the following into the search box on Google for some good info on this product:
site:www.airforums.com scotchweld
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've had good luck with Household Goop for such uses. It's a very thick silicone that hardens well, and is waterproof.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Scotch Weld works great!

Hey Gang,

Just a final report on my tank repair. I looked into that 3M Scotch Weld DP-8005 and it looks to be the only glue in the world made for polyethylene. I couldn't even find it locally. So....I looked online and saw that it was $30 for a tube of it and about another $40 for the applicator tube. So.....I called up a guy I know who is a 3M rep and said "How 'bout a sample?" Dude hooked me up

I cut a thin piece of polyethylene about 1" by 2" by 1/4". Cleaned both the tank and the new piece with alcohol, let it dry, then glued her up. 24 hours later I did my air pressure test and it held just fine. Filled her up and no leaks. It's been holding for days now.

So anyway, if you don't have a hot air plastic welder or other similar tools or access to the place is tight, I think this product from 3M will work just fine. It seems to be a great product. Even if you had to pay the full fare, I think it'd be worth it.

See ya on the road,