Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Resurrection Bay , Alaska
Weird fresh water tank increases

Hi Riveted Ones!

Please help me understand this weirdness: “ZEPPY” a 2016 Airstream Classic 30 RBQ is hooked-up to resort fresh water and “yes” appropriately screwed into the city water inlet. My fresh water tank which should be empty keeps creeping up about 5% every couple of weeks. Any idea what’s up with this? It’s now at 40% and no water has been added to fresh water tank. Yes, black and gray tanks religiously emptied, if not at full hookup RV park. Any/all advice welcome!

DocHalo / KL4QE
Resurrection Bay, Alaska
2016 Airstream Classic RBQ "ZEPPY"
2016 Nissan Titan XD 4x4 Crew Cab (Diesel)
DocHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:21 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
City water is back flowing through the pump due to a faulty check valve.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Probably correct IMO.

"Bad pump check valve water tank filling" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+...=airforums.com

By the way, you should never leave the city water "on" when you leave the trailer unattended IMO. Please don't ask why . . .

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Have you tried unhooking city water and then seeing if you get water flow from the tank? If you do it’s the check valve, not the water level indicator.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Check valve in water pump probaly has some sediment in it or needs cleaning or replacing, mine is doing the same thing. Turn off city water flow, run your waterpump and open up faucets until water is empty in fresh water holding tank. Usually this cleans out sediment and fixes the problem, I've done this twice and it solved my problem. If it persists try taking the water pump apart to clean or replace check valve. (Make sure you have adequate amount of water in the holding tank to clean out pump, do not operate dry)
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You can also simply fill your tank, turn off the city water and use your pump. I do it whenever I am on 2 way as it helps with water discipline (my pump is 2.2 gph, city water can be well above that). Even if you only do it occasionally, it is good to exercise anything mechanical (the pump) and by running treated water through the tank and it’s plumbing you prevent anything taking up residence.

I also travel with a full fresh water tank. I like all that weight down low, helps with the center of gravity. It also is nice to have if your next stop has poor or no water.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Probably correct IMO.

By the way, you should never leave the city water "on" when you leave the trailer unattended IMO. Please don't ask why . . .

X2 ^ - nothing like coming back to trailer (our former SOB) to find a pretty waterfall coming out of it........ Fortunately, not gone long, no damage....
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Mine would occasionally go from 0 to 30 randomly even though I hadn’t put any water in it. I opened my fresh water tank valve to ensure there wasn’t anything in it. After I confirmed it was empty my best guess was condensation inside the tank from the little bit of water that couldn’t drain.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
So my fresh water tank still fills up occasionally and starts overflowing when I'm on city water so instead of trying to fix my waterpump and having this happen again I plan on installing a one way valve/backflow preventor on my output side of my pump. That should solve anymore fresh water tank overflow. I got the one way valve from vintage trailer suppies.

https://vintagetrailersupply.com/bac...entor-vts-725/
Old 07-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you tried clearing the debris in the check valve by turning the pump on and off in rapid succession, while you have the city water on also?

A very simple fix for most folks IMO.

Also, if you are not using an RV hose filter in your hose, for both city and tank water, you are running the risk of sand and grit getting your faucet/shower aerators, as well as the water heater's PRV [pressure relief valve], all of which can create other problems.

Google search results in Post #3 lead to informative other threads/posts.

Cheers,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you tried clearing the debris in the check valve by turning the pump on and off in rapid succession, while you have the city water on also?

A very simple fix for most folks IMO.

Also, if you are not using an RV hose filter in your hose, for both city and tank water, you are running the risk of sand and grit getting your faucet/shower aerators, as well as the water heater's PRV [pressure relief valve], all of which can create other problems.

Google search results in Post #3 lead to informative other threads/posts.

Cheers,
Yup I use a filter for city water hook up and I have ran my pump on and off and it did clear out the debris/problem but It only lasted for a short while. So instead of worrying about anymore overflow into my fresh water tank while on city water I installed the one way valve and also a cut off ball valve.