Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Water Source - tank/city water

Even though I have been at this for a long time, I have a very basic question about where the water comes from. During the trip we are on, we experienced a campground situation where the city water supply was at a very low pressure. We used Lucy's pump to supplement the water pressure and the system worked very well.

My question is when we are hooked to city water and the pump is also used, is the water coming from both the tank and the outside faucet? We noticed that we used a certain amount of tank water during this period.

This is just a question of curiosity.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sag Harbor , New York
Wouldn't it depend on what the city water pressure actually is? If it drops to zero for some reason, one would assume that the pump would pull from your tank.

If the city water pressure is OK . . . no tank water used probably.

Lots of variables . . . difficult to answer without pressure monitors all over IMO.

Curiosity can easily lead to over-thinking IMO.

Does it matter where the water is coming from, as long as you have enough water for your needs?

Peter
[previous user name OTRA15]
Por Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I’ve wondered the same thing in the past. I always thought the water pump pulled from the tank, not that it acted as a booster to the city water coming in, and the two sources used together increase the water pressure you experience.

I think that’s correct, but am not 100% sure. If it is, that’s one more reason to travel with at least some water in your fresh tank.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Interesting question!

If the city water pressure is more than the pressure at which the pump shuts off then the pump won’t run.
If the city pressure is less than pump pressure the pump will run and pump tank water until the pump pressure point is reached.

Anytime the pump is running it is pumping tank water, the pump is between the tank and the trailer plumbing, not between the city source and trailer plumbing. so the pump can’t move city water.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
On my 2008, if I use the pump to boost low external water pressure, I am pulling water from my internal tank as well as the feeble flow from outside. So, sooner or later I have to manually refill my internal tank.

Rather than bother, I have gotten into the habit of using my internal tank almost all the time — I get the same pressure every time I use the sink or shower and the same setting on the shower handle gives me pretty much the same temperature.

It also precludes the need to install my external pressure regulator when the pressure is very high.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
On my 2008, if I use the pump to boost low external water pressure, I am pulling water from my internal tank as well as the feeble flow from outside. So, sooner or later I have to manually refill my internal tank.

Rather than bother, I have gotten into the habit of using my internal tank almost all the time — I get the same pressure every time I use the sink or shower and the same setting on the shower handle gives me pretty much the same temperature.

It also precludes the need to install my external pressure regulator when the pressure is very high.
Thank you for your sage advice. I suspected that I was still getting a portion of the water flow from the city water side as the internal water tank did not seem to be used up as quickly as I would have thought if I were using only tank water.

You also propose the very interesting concept of using tank water all the time. We already do this to a certain extent as we like to routinely rotate the tank water in Lucy.

I think that we may start using tank water on a routine basis. I also think that this will keep the internal water pump running more smoothly. I have noticed over the years that when the pump is not used for a while, it is often loud and cranky when we start it up after a dormant period.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, in fairness, I am right cranky myself when awakened from a dormant period…
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:27 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a back flow valve on the city water input. If it was missing, every time you turn on the pump ..... water blasting out the city water input.

If the pump is doing you any good ( = increasing pressure ) it's a pretty good bet that the city water isn't doing much at all. If you have a big long hose running to the city water input ( so high resistance ) you *might* see a bit of water that way. Even so, it's not going to be much.

The magic math:

When water is flowing, the pump likely is in the 30 PSI range. It shuts off at 60, but there is zero flow at that point.

The regulator on the city water likely cuts out around 40 to 50 PSI. Past that you should see near zero flow from the city water.

Really poor water pressure is down around the 10 PSI range. You still get flow. Forget about a nice shower .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
A simple test would be to turn on both the pump and city water and see witch one is flowing. If the onboard tank goes down the pump is doing it's job. if not the water is coming from the city. A flow meter would help solve the question. If both are close to the same pressure, that would be the only way to tell.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote