Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Best of the best.......Berkey

https://www.usaberkeyfilters.com/pro...-water-filter/

Berkey removes...

VIRUSES – Removed to >99.999% (Log 5)
Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 4):
MS2 Coliphage ; Fr Coliphage.
PATHOGENIC BACTERIA (AND SURROGATES) – Removed to >99.9999%
Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 6): Bacillus atrophaeus (Anthrax surrogate); Raoultella terrigena (Pathogenic Bacteria Surrogate); Salmonella Enterica.
TRIHALOMETHANES – Removed to >99.8%
(Below Lab Detectable Limits):
Bromodichloromethane ; Bromoform ; Chloroform ; Dibromochloromethane.
INORGANIC MINERALS
Removed to Below Lab Detectable Limits: Chloramine; Chloride; Chlorine Residual (Total Residual Chlorine); Free Chlorine
HEAVY METALS (HIGH & LOW pH LEVELS)
Aluminum (>99%); Antimony (>99.9%); Barium (>80%); Beryllium (>99.9%); Bismuth (>99.9%); Cadmium (>99.7%); Cobalt (>95%); Chromium (>99.9%); Chromium 6 (>99.85%); Copper (>99.9%); Iron (>99.9%); Lead (>99.9%); Mercury (>99.9%); Molybdenum (>90%); Nickel (>99.9%); Vanadium (>87.5%); Zinc (>99.9%).
PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS CONTAMINANTS – Removed to >99.9%
Acetaminophen; Caffeine; Carbamazepine; Ciprofloxacin HCl; Erythromycin USP; Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim; Bisphenol A; Diclofenac Sodium; 4-para-Nonylphenol; 4-tert-Octylphenol; Primidone; Progestrone; Gemfibrozil; Ibuprofen; Naproxen Sodium; Triclosan.

ALSO REMOVES OR REDUCES:
Arsenic (>99.9%); Escherichia coli (E. Coli) (>99.999%); Fluorene (>99.9%); Manganese (>99.9%); MBAS (>96.67%); Nitrites (>95%); PCB’s (>99.9%); Petroleum Products (Gasoline, Diesel, Crude Oil, Kerosene, Mineral Spirits, Refined Oil- All >99.9%); Selenium (>99.9%); Thallium (>99.5%); Rust; Silt; Sediment; Turbidity; Foul Tastes and Odors.
* For Heavy Metals, Inorganic Minerals, Pesticides, Petroleum, Pharmaceuticals, Semi-VOC’s, THM’s, VOC’s; reduction exceeded lab detection limits.

Plus excellent coffee....

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I can't remember ever drinking water from the tank.
I carry a case of bottled water for coffee and the dog's bowl.
Other beverages suffice during the day.
No question that's a beautiful install, but I don't see it on my list.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Unfortunately most single uae plastic water bottles are not recycled. They're tossed. Then of those that are put into the recycle bin, the onus is on the local municipal entity to find a way to recycle them. Used to be they'd ship the bottles to Asia where those countries might recycle them, but plastic bottles due to their varying chemical makups are difficult to recycle. Now Asia no longer takes our trash so many municipal entities are simply dumping all plastic bottles in landfills.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:29 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, OMG, $1100.00 to $1500.00 for an Acuva water filtration system??????? I recycle my plastic bottles. A case of water bottles at Costco, with CRV, is about $5.00.

I mean it’s not cheap but I didn’t pay that much. The eco 1.5 is $699 and the nx is $499.

I think you saw the arrow. That’s for a whole house install.
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:33 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I see part of your point, but where do all of the old filters go? And how many cases of bottled water can you buy for the price of this UV filtration system?

Also a fair point. My counter to you would be that I’d rather have one plastic item to worry about recycling than how many plastic bottles?

Plus the source of the bottled water you’re buying is also questionable. It could be purified water from your local bottling plant - as is the case for many name brands in the supermarkets.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:38 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Best of the best.......Berkey

https://www.usaberkeyfilters.com/pro...-water-filter/

Berkey removes...

VIRUSES – Removed to >99.999% (Log 5)
Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 4):
MS2 Coliphage ; Fr Coliphage.
PATHOGENIC BACTERIA (AND SURROGATES) – Removed to >99.9999%
Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 6): Bacillus atrophaeus (Anthrax surrogate); Raoultella terrigena (Pathogenic Bacteria Surrogate); Salmonella Enterica.
TRIHALOMETHANES – Removed to >99.8%
(Below Lab Detectable Limits):
Bromodichloromethane ; Bromoform ; Chloroform ; Dibromochloromethane.
INORGANIC MINERALS
Removed to Below Lab Detectable Limits: Chloramine; Chloride; Chlorine Residual (Total Residual Chlorine); Free Chlorine
HEAVY METALS (HIGH & LOW pH LEVELS)
Aluminum (>99%); Antimony (>99.9%); Barium (>80%); Beryllium (>99.9%); Bismuth (>99.9%); Cadmium (>99.7%); Cobalt (>95%); Chromium (>99.9%); Chromium 6 (>99.85%); Copper (>99.9%); Iron (>99.9%); Lead (>99.9%); Mercury (>99.9%); Molybdenum (>90%); Nickel (>99.9%); Vanadium (>87.5%); Zinc (>99.9%).
PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS CONTAMINANTS – Removed to >99.9%
Acetaminophen; Caffeine; Carbamazepine; Ciprofloxacin HCl; Erythromycin USP; Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim; Bisphenol A; Diclofenac Sodium; 4-para-Nonylphenol; 4-tert-Octylphenol; Primidone; Progestrone; Gemfibrozil; Ibuprofen; Naproxen Sodium; Triclosan.

ALSO REMOVES OR REDUCES:
Arsenic (>99.9%); Escherichia coli (E. Coli) (>99.999%); Fluorene (>99.9%); Manganese (>99.9%); MBAS (>96.67%); Nitrites (>95%); PCB’s (>99.9%); Petroleum Products (Gasoline, Diesel, Crude Oil, Kerosene, Mineral Spirits, Refined Oil- All >99.9%); Selenium (>99.9%); Thallium (>99.5%); Rust; Silt; Sediment; Turbidity; Foul Tastes and Odors.
* For Heavy Metals, Inorganic Minerals, Pesticides, Petroleum, Pharmaceuticals, Semi-VOC’s, THM’s, VOC’s; reduction exceeded lab detection limits.

Plus excellent coffee....

toastie

Don’t disagree with what you’ve copied from their website.

In fact we have a Berkey and used it in our airstream for 4 years.

What we didn’t like is the space it took up. That’s why we decided to install the uv purifier with the 5 μm pre-filter. Now an underutilized space under the sink is producing something for us.

Now if you have more than a 23’ trailer then happy days! Keep the Berkey.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:40 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I can't remember ever drinking water from the tank.
I carry a case of bottled water for coffee and the dog's bowl.
Other beverages suffice during the day.
No question that's a beautiful install, but I don't see it on my list.

No worries! Thanks for looking. And it isn’t for everyone.

I did add an inline fuse to the positive side of the line while installing a 12v socket too. Might be nice to not have it hard wired to the trailer.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:43 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
Thanks for posting this @chris_kelly! I am about to embark on installing this exact same system in our Airstream.

The only problem is I can't locate a 12v wire nearby under our sink. I see you ran a wire from your fridge but we have a 30ft International and our fridge is on the other side of the galley! I'm not sure how I'm going to power it....

You may be able to tap into existing wires underneath.

Not sure where your furnace is but that would be an option.

Light switches would be too much of a pita.

Where is your dc distribution? Since the 23’ is so compact and I had a spare circuit I ran 12v lines to the sink. Might be your best bet. Depending on what side it’s on.

Just some ideas.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #69
DLN
Capt Dave

Airstream - Other
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Opinions about Seagull system?

Has anyone ever used a Seagull IV Water Purifier in their AS? I’m familiar with them from the boating world where many people swear by them. Plumbed in line. Pretty expensive but water is kind of important...
DLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:16 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
There is a lower cost version by General Ecology that I installed in my Airstream. More plastic and less stainless, but same purification specs. We used it for the first time last month...great water.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
There is a lower cost version by General Ecology that I installed in my Airstream. More plastic and less stainless, but same purification specs. We used it for the first time last month...great water.

Larry

Where did you install it? We’re trading our 23’ in for a 25’. We absolutely loved the acuva but wouldn’t mind hearing other options.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLN View Post
Has anyone ever used a Seagull IV Water Purifier in their AS? I’m familiar with them from the boating world where many people swear by them. Plumbed in line. Pretty expensive but water is kind of important...

I think you can find more info here:

https://livinginbeauty.net/2019/01/14/water-water/
Old 09-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_kelly View Post
Where did you install it? We’re trading our 23’ in for a 25’. We absolutely loved the acuva but wouldn’t mind hearing other options.
Actually, my article on this was published in the WBCCI magazine last month; I installed it under the sink on the cabinet side.

Larry
Old 09-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Actually, my article on this was published in the WBCCI magazine last month; I installed it under the sink on the cabinet side.

Larry

Nice!

Can you share a link?
Old 09-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #75
Rivet Master

I do not know how to get that from WBCCI, but here is the link to our club newsletter, see p.4
https://carolinas.airstreamclub.net/...Newsletter.pdf
Larry
Old 01-19-2023, 08:19 PM   #76
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Colbert , Washington
I was thinking of using the ClearSource Premier two stage filter external to the AS, then installing an Acuva under the kitchen sink. Instead of drilling another hole in the countertop of our new Classic, is it a dumb idea to connect directly to the cold water side of the faucet? Thanks
ForeverFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:20 AM   #77
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Clear source two stage connected on the outside before it enters the coach. No issues.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:33 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
We have been traveling full-time since July 2016 in our 2001 30’ Airstream trailer. 38,000+ miles, 260+ campgrounds and 50 states/provinces so far. Here is an article about water, water filtering, and water conservation in a RV that you might find helpful.

https://livinginbeauty.net/2019/01/14/water-water/

If nothing else this article is a great read. I might be able to adopt some, but not all, of their water filtering, purifying and conservation methods.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:10 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Clear source two stage connected on the outside before it enters the coach. No issues.
Every drop of water that enters our trailer flows through the external 2 stage clear source filter. I use it to fill the tank and when on city water. It removes the nasty stuff that’ll make you sick and the water tastes great. If you purge your system and clean the tank with a little bleach, then throughly rinse, you can safely drink from the tank if you use the clear source or other similar system. Don’t fall for the “recycling” single use plastic bottle story. Very little of the plastic we “recycle” actually gets recycled. Most gets thrown in the land fill, some gets incinerated to make electricity, and a very small percentage makes it into new products. The use of the word “recycling” is to make the consumer feel better.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/24/11311...-getting-worse

Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:30 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I got rid of the cheap Camco inline filter that I had in the hose for years (ugh!) and replaced it with the 2.5" x 10" canister filter.
I do use the tank water for brushing teeth and showers, so I'd like it as clean as practical. I went with the 25 micron carbon filter insert.
Not the smallest, but not restrictive either.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote