Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Water pump pulling power

This morning I noticed that there was a 6 amp power draw on the battery monitor. I also noticed light a whining noise. Water was not running anywhere, turning water on engaged the pump properly. Turning off the pump stopped the power draw. The pump casing was hot.

I'm guessing the pump is somewhat engaged so it recognizes a pressure drop, but I don't think it should be drawing 6 amps. I've often left it on for long periods of time, never noticed that kind of draw before unless it was actually running.

I'm now trying to decide whether to replace the pump prior to spending a couple weeks dry camping, but thought I'd see if this is a common addressable issue.

The pump is a 10 year old sureflow smart sensor 4.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Replace it, it has served you well.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I have the exact same pump and it did the same thing a few months ago. The Smart Sensor pump is different from single speed pumps in that it is a variable speed pump made to run continuously. You need to set the pumps sensor, and it's easy to do.

The pump has two sensors. One that shuts it off when 50 psi is reached. You can't adjust that. And one that turns it on when the pressure drops. This one you can adjust. Right now your pressure drop sensor is set too close to your pressure cutoff sensor. The pressure drop off sensor is detecting a tiny drop in pressure from 50 psi, so it's sending a tiny amount of electricity to the motor. Unfortunately that tiny amount of electricity in not enough to turn the motor over, so it just draws power.

You need to adjust that screw so the pressure drop sensor does not detect the drop until the pressure drops a few more psi. Like mine, your sensor probably just drifted out of adjustment over time.

The sensor screw you adjust is on the front of the housing. The procedure is, turn the kitchen faucet on low. By that I mean as low as you might use now and then. Turn that screw until the pump starts to run almost as soon as you open the faucet, and runs continuously without cycling on and off. I forget which way you will need to turn the screw to make it less sensitive but it will be obvious. With the faucet only slightly open like that the pump speed will be very slow, but continuous.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
The sensor screw you adjust is on the front of the housing.

Great response, thanks!

Looking at the pump, I see only one screw that makes sense, but thought I'd ask. The casing on one end, that has the inlet/outlet for water, as screws around the edge that obviously to connect it to the motor casing. Then on the very front of that, there is a plastic piece with 5 screws, one specifically in the very center. I assume that is the adjustment screw, but thought I'd ask. I have not yet found a manual online that illustrates this.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Thanks again! I found some basic information:

"If the water flow from the faucet is erratic and surges and falls you may have an issue with the sensor. If the sensor's tolerances are set too tight it'll prematurely kick in and out. Before condemning the water pump try to adjust the sensor. On the pump head there is a small screw right in the center. If you turn it between 1/2 to 1 full turn clockwise you will reduce the backpressure and the surging should stop. Be careful not to crank away too much. Take it in short 1/4 turn increments and then test before going farther."

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/plumbing/smartsensor.php
Old 07-13-2020, 03:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I found an official Shurflo publication for the larger Smart Sensor 5.7 years ago with those instructions on how to adjust. I should have saved it but didn't. I've searched for it a couple times including after your post but can't find it. Were you able to adjust your pump?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is Post #359 from the 20-footer thread showing our Shurflo pump adjustment screw FWIW -- not sure how similar your pump is -- FWIW.

[Click on orange arrow in quote to go there.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
On our 2014 FC20, the pressure switch is on the right end of the pump as you see it under the oven, looking toward the curb side of the coach (see recent photo in Post 355 here).

This shot shows my left hand reaching into the pump space, over the 1x4 kick/valance, with the red ballpoint pen pointing to the allen-head adjustment screw (I believe -- see YouTube video link below). This shot is thus looking toward the coach's front:

Attachment 251358 [Edit 7/13/20 -- photo is below]

In my opinion this switch should be adjusted ONLY if the pump is cycling on and off during a shower, or something like this. It has nothing to do with reducing the actual noise level of the pump (think decibels). Again, the YouTube video covers this.

Note that he has the pump "upside down" compared to my photo, the red wires will orient you.

Edit -- Attached photo is here:

Here is the photo from Post #355 referred to above:

Good luck.

FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Were you able to adjust your pump?

I think I was based on information from the link I posted in my last message. With just a quarter turn, the pump shuts off much more distinctly now when water is turned off. We'll see when we're actually off hookups again, but now I know how to adjust it.

OTRA15, thanks. The pump I have looks quite different than that, less complicated at least. On the faceplate end there is a plastic cover with 5 screws, 4 at each corner and one in the center. The center screw is the adjustment.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update . . . glad you found the adjustment.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote