Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Perris , California
Water pressure regulator

Took our new 28' International out on its first trip, and our fresh water hose got damaged from water pressure - the hose is all "puffed up.". We didn't use one of those brass water pressure regulators because the dealer said the Airstream has a regulator built-in and that putting an external one would lower the water pressure.

I'm guessing this is just a bad hose (it's the one that came with the starter kit)?
ArchieGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Some travellers use a regulator to protect the white hose. It goes on the water supply tap, then the white hose goes onto it.

You just found a good reason to use that kind of hookup.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Lower the pressure? TRUE, would you notice? I doubt it. The installed regulator the dealer talks about is set very low so the additional one in line before the hose is generally a higher pressure rated regulator and will do as described - protect the hose.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Cloud , Minnesota
Or it could just be a defective hose that ballooned up from a casing leak. The 10 footer I started out with - probably a Camco - worked fine for a few months and then inflated like a sausage. I had a regulator on the hydrant and I don't think the problem was the water pressure. My current hose has been in constant use for several years with no problems; it cost a bit more than the Camco.
JamieEllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Perris , California
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try a pressure regulator before the new hose to see if it affects water pressure.
ArchieGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is always a good idea to have some sort of pressure gage down stream of the regulator so you can tell if it is working properly. I have seen some fail open.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote