Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Water level Sensor removal/cleaning/replacement

My manual explains how to test the leads from the sensors to see if the rest of the system works, and it does. Then it says to unscrew the sensors from the tank and clean them - this is where I'm stuck. I can unscrew the leads from the sensors, but the sensors don't look like the diagram in my manual. Are these removable? If so, how do you remove them? I tried some needle nose pliers on the slight nobs next to the terminals, but the plastic is so soft it wasn't doing anything. Thanks in advance! -Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterSensors.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	54272  
Old 02-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Kevin,

It looks to me like your "sensors" are just the tips of the screws protruding into the tank and contacting the water. That's the way my 1970 Caravel works.

On later models, the "sensors" are threaded black plastic inserts that are screwed into 1/2" fittings in the tank. These inserts/sensors have a metal core that is, in turn, threaded to accept the screw that holds the wire and on the other end protrudes into the tank. You can take out the screw that holds the wire from these without causing a leak. In either case, these "sensors" are just conductive metal that provide a path through the wall of the tank to the water.

Zep
Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
that could be easy!

Thanks for the reply Zep!
Well, I'm going to have to check more now. I did take the leads off the sensors to do my testing, and the screws are only about 1/4 inch long and I think they are brass. They screw into some sort of metal thread...but the tank is empty, so I don't know if they are indeed the actual sensor touching water. More pictures and investigations to come.

BTW, I was trying to do more searching on the subject, and amazingly enough, my grey and black water sensors work perfectly! Although I'd give up both for the freshwater sensors to work.

-Kevin