Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Water leak - Need help.

1992 25’ Excella: We just bought this trailer last fall. I put new brakes on it and packed the wheel bearings, and did a few other small repairs. Then I winterized it according to the Airstream manual (blew out the water system and filled it with antifreeze.) and it sat for the winter. We never even got a chance to test it out on a trip. I just de-winterized the trailer in preparation for our first trip and need some help. After I rinsed out all the antifreeze and pressurized the fresh-water system, I noticed the center of the bathroom floor carpet is wet. With the system pressurized, water also slowly drips from two drain holes in the corners of the belly pan that is under that area of the trailer. The water stops dripping when I de-pressurize the system. I’m assuming a water line under the bathroom is leaking, but I don’t know the best way to access the water lines for a look. I don’t know how these trailers are put together. I have pretty good home-repair skills, but this is our first RV. I’d like to learn to do necessary repairs myself, unless a particular problem is known among Airstream owners to be worth taking to a professional repair shop. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Flower Mound , Texas
We have a '92 excella and experience the same thing. I found a leak on one of the valves under bathroom sink which brings cold water to the water furnace but it was a small leak and we put a pan underneath it. I suspect another leak from a pipe under the flooring. Did you ever solve your problem?

John
jslbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Leak found and fixed

Solution to my problem: My bathroom leak turned out to be the valve that feeds the toilet. It is tucked in so tightly behind the toilet that, being new at trailer life, I just didn't/couldn't see it. As soon as I pulled the toilet out from the wall a couple inches, I saw it. From the looks of it, the valve had been leaky for a while. I was disappointed with the particle board toilet pedestal and basic construction of the area, so I replaced the pedestal with a much better one that a friend and I built. I also replaced the bathroom carpet with vinyl flooring. I think it's much better than factory now. The valve was a Thetford #09868 which cost $45.99.

Good luck on your projects.
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Flower Mound , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
Solution to my problem: My bathroom leak turned out to be the valve that feeds the toilet. It is tucked in so tightly behind the toilet that, being new at trailer life, I just didn't/couldn't see it. As soon as I pulled the toilet out from the wall a couple inches, I saw it. From the looks of it, the valve had been leaky for a while. I was disappointed with the particle board toilet pedestal and basic construction of the area, so I replaced the pedestal with a much better one that a friend and I built. I also replaced the bathroom carpet with vinyl flooring. I think it's much better than factory now. The valve was a Thetford #09868 which cost $45.99.

Good luck on your projects.
Thank you very much for that information.
jslbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Water valves on Thetford toilets don't last that long. I have replaced several and find the job to relatively easy but unpleasant. Be sure to replace to donut under the toilet at the same time. They crush over time allowing unpleasant smells to enter the trailer.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote