Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2023, 04:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Water leak from tank out fresh water

Hi folks
Having trouble with water from my fresh water tank leaking out of my city water inlet. There has to be a check valve that is common to both systems. I just can't figure how I can have a steady drip, out of the city water connection that is draining my fresh water tank.
Any help from A/S plumbers would be greatly appreciated!
Pete
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
There is a check valve on the inlet of the city water. Try pressurizing the system with city water, turning off and on several times to see if that will stop the leak past the valve. If that doesn't work, a new valve is in your future. Also, cap the inlet with a garden hose male stopper.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Sorry, I don't understand this. The fresh water tank is below the city water inlet. Water does not flow uphill. Is your water pump on

Some trailers have an expansion tank to smooth surges. The water system pressurizes this tank, and there will be a slight flow from it without city water or the pump being on until the tank is emptied.

Regardless of what is happening, the issue has to be the check valve in, or after, the fresh water inlet.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
St Clair County , Michigan
Siphon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Sorry, I don't understand this. The fresh water tank is below the city water inlet. Water does not flow uphill. Is your water pump on
My City Water Inlet is well below the level of the fresh water tank, and with no air leaks, it could create a siphoning effect - but only if the check valve is faulty.
TR Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:15 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Happens to Me

About 2 out of every 10 times I connect while camping my fresh tank might start to fill after applying city water pressure. Last time I did not catch it until I saw the puddle from the leak at the filler port. I know it's the check valve built into the water pump. I don't want to replace that yet.

I just turn off the water hose and use the pump for that camping location. The next spot I connect, it will likely not backfill and I rest easy for while. I have begun to use a good filter hoping that it will catch any particles (sand, etc) that might interfere with the check valve. For the past week, 3 dfferent locations, all is good and my fresh water tank has stayed down at 6%. Maybe traveling over the road with system pressure at zero helps to shake out any particles.

So the answer is ....I just live with it.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:14 AM   #6
Bouctouche Dunes

1976 Argosy 26
Moncton , New Brunswick
Clean out the water pump

My water pump was doing that same thing when I first bought the trailer, filling up the fresh tank when I connected and turned on the city water pressure. Ended up taking the pump apart and found some "Stuff" in the rubber membranes etc. Cleaned it all out and put it all back together and put a filter on the line between the fresh tank and the pump and haven't had a problem in 4 years.
kevinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:41 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
run the pump

Hi, Just like the last few posts, the fresh tank will fill with water through the check valve. Turn off city water and toggle on and off the pump quite a few times. this usually gets what ever is causing the check valve to "leak" to clear out. And use a filter. "Particles happen"

Happy Camping
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I've had this happen to both my AS. So from experience, here is what I did, or to be more precise, what I had the dealer do.

I had the dealer install a check valve between the tank and the pump.

Apparently, the pumps internal check valve is easily susceptible to debris. Having this secondary check valve ensures no backfeed and resolve your issue.

SharkBite U2008-0000LFA 1/2 inch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00506ET10?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:11 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We now seem to have two *very* different problems both in the same thread:

1) Water going *into* the fresh water tank when city water is on.

2) Water going *out of* the fresh water tank when city water is not connected.

At least as I read the original post, he's got problem number 2 and not problem number 1.

Others have mentioned (correctly) that if you just fill the fresh water tank and do not turn on the pump, there should be nothing coming out the city water inlet, no matter what is wrong there. It's not clear if the OP has the pump turned on or not.

It would be nice to hear from the OP get this clarified.

If indeed the pump has been on / is on then the check valve is prone to freeze damage this time of year. (at least around here it is).

If the pump has not been on, we're off down a very different rabbit hole.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:26 AM   #10

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9379.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	427215
This is what the fix is. Simple install, no cutting lines.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Anderson View Post
My City Water Inlet is well below the level of the fresh water tank, and with no air leaks, it could create a siphoning effect - but only if the check valve is faulty.

I was under the impression that on 2008s the inlet was above waist high on the side. If not, then gravity pressure could cause a leak.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Anderson View Post
I guess that proves your Airstream is over 20 years old then (I think over 30 I'm not sure exactly when they moved the city inlet up the side of the trailers).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:06 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even on the trailers with the city water inlet "high" the fresh water tank still is below the floor. That has not changed over the years. There is very little water in that feed line into the tank ....

What also has not changed is the pump. If the pump is not running, there is no way for the water to get from the fresh water tank to the rest of the plumbing. It just sits there in the tank .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
Hi folks

Having trouble with water from my fresh water tank leaking out of my city water inlet. There has to be a check valve that is common to both systems. I just can't figure how I can have a steady drip, out of the city water connection that is draining my fresh water tank.

Pete

Not sure if mis-assigned nomenclature may be the culprit here. When ‘city water inlet’ is under pressure and water is leaking from the fresh water ‘filler inlet’ ‘over fill pipe/hose’, this indicates the two way valve has failed allowing water to continually fill your fresh water tank past full, excess water will flow out of the fresh water tank ‘over fill pipe’ on to the ground. Is this possibly what you are writing? If this is the case, shutting the ‘city water’ inlet will stop the leak in several minutes. A temporary solution would be to allow the onboard fresh water tank to fill and then de-pressurize/shut fresh water and periodically refill the onboard water tank as needed, until you repair it.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Hey guys, read the problem!! Water is LEAKING OUT OF THE CITY WATER INLET!! Running the water pump WILL NOT solve the problem!! That's when the problem occurs, when the pump has the system under pressure from the pump. The check valve in the city water inlet line is leaking back! Sheriff1 showed the problem solver.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Water leak from tank out fresh water

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Hey guys, read the problem!! Water is LEAKING OUT OF THE CITY WATER INLET!! Running the water pump WILL NOT solve the problem!! That's when the problem occurs, when the pump has the system under pressure from the pump. The check valve in the city water inlet line is leaking back! Sheriff1 showed the problem solver.
You’re adding wording to the Original Posters wording that is not there. Just needed to point this out.

OP Quote
Hi folks

Pete
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Even on the trailers with the city water inlet "high" the fresh water tank still is below the floor. That has not changed over the years. There is very little water in that feed line into the tank ....

What also has not changed is the pump. If the pump is not running, there is no way for the water to get from the fresh water tank to the rest of the plumbing. It just sits there in the tank .....

Bob
???
I was talking about the older trailers having the city water inlet below the level of the floor by a couple inches (like my 88) and also older trailers then mine that had fresh tanks above the floor that could have gravity aid in water running out. These things have changed over the years.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Thanks for all the replies. We are back on city water again. To recap, my problem with my 98 34 classic slide is that when I filled my fresh water tank, I had a steady drip/stream of water coming OUT of my city water connection. The pump was OFF. my tank fully drained over the following three days.
Our plan is to fill the tank again and boondocks fir the next three days so we will see if the problem continues or not.
The plan is to drop anchor for yhe next 6 weeks. That will give me yhe opportunity to chase this down.
Again , I appreciate all of the input.
I would have replied earlier, but I had password problems with this site. I need one of my grandkids to travel with us!!!!
Pete
Old 01-24-2023, 10:47 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Oops

It's an 08 34 classic.
Fat fingers on a small keyboard!
Old 01-24-2023, 01:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Tank full.
Pump off.
Disconnected from city water inlet.
Leak out of city water inlet.

Question...when you say that the tank empties in three days, is the trailer completely idle with no usage/pressurization of water?

Is the water heater on? Running the water heater will pressurize the system even with the pump off. Drips ensue. Then you run the pump to wash dishes or whatever, releasing the pressure. But the pressure builds again when the WH is on. More ensuing leaks. If this is the case, then the check valve is not doing its job. Replace the city inlet or install sheriff1's check valve.

Just a thought, although emptying a tank in three days would be extreme.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote