Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
Dradloff

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Water leak

We have a 2019 International 23FB. Today, when we used our shower, water leaks on the floor in front of the kitchen sink. It also leaks when we use the kitchen sink. We’ve tried to isolate the source by removing all the access panels but have been unsuccessful. How do you access all of the plumbing joints to identify the leak source. Any ideas?
Dradloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Dradloff,

Welcome to Airforums.

I guess I'd start this with is it a pressure leak from the fresh water system or a drain leak? Fresh water would be leaking potentially anytime the system has pressure. The drain would be only when water is being used thru the system inside the trailer.

Any more info, was this trailer in a freezing situation and this is it's first use this season or it happened just recently after being used and not leaking?

I've used my cell phone to either take pics or video to explore what can't be seen in my trailer.

Keep the info coming.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

To answer the question about access ....

Some of the plumbing is in places you can get to it. Pulling out drawers and opening cabinets is the answer there. Other sections run behind / under this or that. There really isn't a practical way to get at them. One answer (as noted above) is a cell phone on a stick. Another answer is a fiber optic "inspection camera" off of Amazon or eBay. There are some that don't cost much at all.

Water from the shower can "escape" through drain issues. Given the way they are plumbed, this is rare. It also can escape through wall seals that are no longer "tight". Water running through a seal and along the back of a wall can be tough to track.

As noted above the third set of issues revolve around a leak in the feed piping. That should not change based on usage. A supply pipe that leaks does so if water is running or if it's not. Do you pressurize the water system all the time or only for use?

One way to check for leaks: Fill up the fresh water tank and turn on the pump ( city water needs to be disconnected ). The pump will chatter for a while and then stop. It *might* fire up one more time past that. If it drops into some sort of "burps on every 5 to 10 minutes pattern .... you have a feed leak or a faucet leak ....

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #4
Dradloff

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
We’ve always had the unit professionally winterized. We’ve also used it all season without any problems. We believe we’ve isolated the problem as a leak in the hot water line that feeds both the kitchen sink and shower. We’ve looked at the plumbing schematic and there appear to be multiple connections- so I guess we have to take it to the dealership to narrow down and fix the problem.
Ps we only ever use an external water hookup (campground water supply). We don’t boondocks and have never had to fill the fresh water tank and pump.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradloff View Post
We believe we’ve isolated the problem as a leak in the hot water line that feeds both the kitchen sink and shower.
Dradloff,

If you can pin down where the leak is and can get some access to it replacing a section of PEX can be a DIY project.

To R&R a section of a pipe I'd cut the damaged section out and using one of several different PEX fittings replace the section. The type of fittings that I'd use are and somewhat depending on location either the Pexlock by Flair-It https://www.flairit.com/ or one of the Shark Bite type of fittings. The Pexlock only needs a Channel Lock type pliers to lock the clamp. Cutting the PEX you can use a PEX cutter from a home center.

If the concern is weaving the pipe back thru the same path, I'd tape a length of string or cord to the old pipe pull it thru and the cord traces the old path. attach to new section and use cord to pull it back thru.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In the original post there was mention of a "leak while using the shower" and "leak while using the kitchen sink". If this is a supply side issue ( = a hot water or cold water line ) they will leak all the time. It does not matter if the line is in use or not, the fitting or whatever will drip drip drip as long as (in this case) city water is hooked up.

Bob
Old 08-27-2021, 05:25 AM   #7
Dradloff

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
We’ll you’re right- it’s not a water line leak and it’s not a drain leak either!!!! We moved campgrounds yesterday. Where we are today- the trailer is perfectly level. Guess what! No leak!!!!! We’ve taken two showers and washed dishes without a problem. So now what’s the thinking? Refrigerator drain line? We also ran the air conditioner previously but that should condense outside.
It’s headed to the dealership today… but everything is dry as a bone! Go figure! Any ideas??????
Old 08-27-2021, 06:15 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
If we completely fill the FW tank,('til it overflows) it will leak outside 'til the tank level drops below the lower vent line connection....not level, it takes much longer. It also would require sink cabinet removal.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradloff View Post
We’ll you’re right- it’s not a water line leak and it’s not a drain leak either!!!! We moved campgrounds yesterday. Where we are today- the trailer is perfectly level. Guess what! No leak!!!!! We’ve taken two showers and washed dishes without a problem. So now what’s the thinking? Refrigerator drain line? We also ran the air conditioner previously but that should condense outside.
It’s headed to the dealership today… but everything is dry as a bone! Go figure! Any ideas??????
Hi

Has it been raining?

If the answer is no, then that leaves A/C drains, normal drains, or seals on the shower walls / door.

There's also the full blown panic over the defective bottled water container .... been there / done that ....

Bob
Old 08-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Had a gallon of distilled water develop a crack in the bottom and drain totally whilst the Airstream was parked. Made a bit of a mess.

Now the battery watering supply jug is stored in the shower to prevent the potential mess.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
I use 'Cloudsplitters' AC for the Fords 6v battery water.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26E9FEFD-B322-4EFF-9F0E-71C0E60EC5AA_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	402801