Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2002, 07:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Water inlet key replacement

Hello Folks

Our recently purchased 23 Safari came to us without a key for the door where fresh water can be poured into the fresh water tank.
Can this lock be replaced? I think I saw replacement kits at wm.
Or....Is this something that would be better purchased at the A/S dealer?
Thnxs
Old 09-02-2002, 09:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Re-key lock?

Wayne, not having my trailer infront of me, I'm not sure this will work - HOWEVER - we recently bought a used front door lock without a key. I took the cylinder to a locksmith who made a key to fit in about half an hour. If you can remove the lock cylinder or the door, and take it to a locksmith, you should be in business for about $20! Or, you could have a locksmith come to you, but I'm sure that would be a bit more pricy. Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:59 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Two options:

1:take the trailer to the locksmith!

2: Take the trailer to a rally and see if anyone there has a key that fits yours( I bet someone will) and get a copy made pronto.

If you have an airstream dealer near you you may be able to "find" a key that fits for a bit of gas and time. Most dealers seem to have a box of "Spare" keys that you can go thru. If there is a number stamped on the lock itself you just have to find the corresponding key. There are not that many diffrent ones out there.

Good Luck
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
key

Wayne,
Most any A/S key will fit the side compartments. For example, this past month while at A/S factory, I open the side compartment door at the new Bambi receptionist's desk.(this key was from a 18yr old A/S).. BTW, THE LIGHTS WORKS...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00024.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	499  
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 07:04 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
AS desk

Vern,
That is one sharp picture. I bet she really loves her job.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:18 AM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
boy, this is like deja-vu all over again. I just went through this a month ago, and w/ a 73 safari as well! here's what NOT to do: Hire an idiot for a locksmith. That's what I did. And I got a thorough screwin' for my mistake.

Locksmith came to the house, and couldn't pick the lock. So he drilled it out, (with a spoon, I think...made a mess in the process). Then he left...came back another day w/ a new lock. Couldn't get it installed. So he left...came back another day and put a 39-cent barrel bolt onto the side of my trailer. gave wife the bill...wife wrote him a check for 175 bucks. I nearly hit the roof.
I went to the locksmith's shop, ranted and raved...talked to a supervisor...got me nowhere. I just decided it ain't worth the trouble. Oh, and I fixed the problem in about 30 minutes w/ a 3-dollar latch that I bought down the street. I wound up having to cut the interior skin a little to access the inside of the hole that the latch fits into. a pain in the butt, but not too terribly difficult. its hidden under the kitchen sink, anyway.....

The problem is that you can't get a hand on the nut that fastens the latch or lock mechanism in place; its in an interior wall. Well, ok, if you (mr-professional) can't do it, just SAY SO. don't just hammer away at it and mickey mouse it, and expect me to pay for your incompetance. Sheesh!!

here's what they did to my trailer. can you believe this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0649.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	501  
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I don't blame you for being mad. I would have hit the roof myself. I had a problem with the lock on my entrance door because it was not always unlocking. I phoned Andy at Inland RV and got a replacement cylinder and 2 keys. Instructions directed me to drill out the cylinder, rotate it and it would fall out. I had to wrestle with it for awhile until it came out. The replacement slipped right in and haven't had a problem since. Sometimes things work out just right and then there are the times that................., well you know!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Lock

Thnxs for the good advice Chuck. I will be wary and try for a key at the A/S dealer first.

Wayne