Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Water Filtration question

Hi, all.

My 22FB does not have a built in water filtration and I've been using a camco inline filter on campground spigots and a brita water pitcher for drinking.

Just FYI... I've read some old threads and we don't want to carry bottled water or install a $2500 filtration system. Looking for a lower cost/lowe difficulty solution to get us through the rest of the season.

I have 2 problems with the Britta pitcher.

1) It takes a lot of space on the counter and is generally a pain to have sitting out.

2) The Britta filter seems to 'go dry' between trips so I'm constantly having to replace the filter for each trip to get it to work. That gets expensive. This last time I've attempted to keep the pitcher filled with water while the camper was parked waiting for our next trip, but that's kindof a pain, too, since I live in the desert and it evaps pretty quickly.

I have 1 issue with the Camco:
AFter only a couple of uses, it started to leak at the flexible 'host protection' connection. (Little hose with fittings and metal protective wire band). This makes me feel like a bad environmental citizen and I get the furry eyeball from passing campers who seem to agree with that assessment.

So....

Has anyone installed a faucet mounted filter? That would negate the need for a britta sit-around pitcher. There's one on Amazon that claims .5 microns and has good reviews. If I use this, anyone have a guess a to whether or not I'll get the dried out filter issue I have with the Britta?
https://www.amazon.com/Waterdrop-320...r+filter&psc=1

Lasttly, Is there a more robust in-line filter like the camco that I could use? I'm tiny but apparently heavy handed so maybe that's my issue with the camco. ANyone have experience with this larger camco?
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Sedimen...ords=rv+filter
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I had similar water issues when we got our new AS. I went online determined to find a solution. This is what I use, trying to balence function and price, and complexity.

I use a external two stage filter. The first stage is a sediment filter, it takes out sand, dirt, rust and the like that may be present in the water. (we had our shower handle stop turning on a trip prior to the filters due to sediment build up) the second stage is a charcoal filter that gets most of the nasties out, like lead, chlorine, viruses, cysts, etc. I get the filters and their holder from the rv water filter store dot com. I replace the filters every season. So far, it's been great. There are other solutions, but this works for me.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
I had similar water issues when we got our new AS. I went online determined to find a solution. This is what I use, trying to balence function and price, and complexity.

I use a external two stage filter. The first stage is a sediment filter, it takes out sand, dirt, rust and the like that may be present in the water. (we had our shower handle stop turning on a trip prior to the filters due to sediment build up) the second stage is a charcoal filter that gets most of the nasties out, like lead, chlorine, viruses, cysts, etc. I get the filters and their holder from the rv water filter store dot com. I replace the filters every season. So far, it's been great. There are other solutions, but this works for me.

Mike
Can you link to the filter you're using? It seems very unlikely that an external water filter would have a fine enough micron rating to remove viruses. More likely you are using a carbon block rated for cyst reduction, but not bacteria or viruses.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Can you link to the filter you're using? It seems very unlikely that an external water filter would have a fine enough micron rating to remove viruses. More likely you are using a carbon block rated for cyst reduction, but not bacteria or viruses.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/A1404.htm

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmama View Post
Hi, all.

My 22FB does not have a built in water filtration and I've been using a camco inline filter on campground spigots and a brita water pitcher for drinking.

Just FYI... I've read some old threads and we don't want to carry bottled water or install a $2500 filtration system. Looking for a lower cost/lowe difficulty solution to get us through the rest of the season.

I have 2 problems with the Britta pitcher.

1) It takes a lot of space on the counter and is generally a pain to have sitting out.

2) The Britta filter seems to 'go dry' between trips so I'm constantly having to replace the filter for each trip to get it to work. That gets expensive. This last time I've attempted to keep the pitcher filled with water while the camper was parked waiting for our next trip, but that's kindof a pain, too, since I live in the desert and it evaps pretty quickly.

I have 1 issue with the Camco:
AFter only a couple of uses, it started to leak at the flexible 'host protection' connection. (Little hose with fittings and metal protective wire band). This makes me feel like a bad environmental citizen and I get the furry eyeball from passing campers who seem to agree with that assessment.

So....

Has anyone installed a faucet mounted filter? That would negate the need for a britta sit-around pitcher. There's one on Amazon that claims .5 microns and has good reviews. If I use this, anyone have a guess a to whether or not I'll get the dried out filter issue I have with the Britta?
https://www.amazon.com/Waterdrop-320...r+filter&psc=1

Lasttly, Is there a more robust in-line filter like the camco that I could use? I'm tiny but apparently heavy handed so maybe that's my issue with the camco. ANyone have experience with this larger camco?
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Sedimen...ords=rv+filter
Water filtration can be a bit of a mess of a topic because there are lots of misconceptions about what filters do, and what you need.

You could easily install any in-line 0.5 micron carbon block filter to a separate faucet for your drinking water. That would take care of chlorine, most organics, and protozoan cysts. It would not address bacteria or viruses. I'd suggest keeping your tanks chlorinated to protect against bacteria and viruses, both for health reasons and to keep your tanks clean.

I'm not a huge fan of external RV filters in most cases because they're usually unnecessary. I haven't found a lot of sources with high enough sediment content to need one, and they typically remove the chlorine which I would prefer to have in my tanks.

I do use and recommend a water softener for each fill. A softener will remove minerals that will damage your water heater and plumbing system, and soft water will make your soaps work better and wash cleaner. If there is dissolved iron in your water source, a softener will remove it to prevent your water from turning orange in your tanks.

So, as far as what's best for you, that depends. What are your water treatment goals?

Why are you looking for a more robust filter? Do you want it to do more things, or is the one you're using getting clogged frequently?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Thanks!

"Removes Chlorine taste/odor, Chemicals and pesticides, arsenic, Fluoride, chloramines, Bacteria, Cysts, lead and heavy metals in Drinking Water Systems"

0.9 microns absolute. Viruses not listed.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Yeah, I might be wrong on the viruses.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Old 07-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
For less than $40 you can build a .5 micron filter. All parts available as an external filter housing with hose fittings. Another $200 gets a nifty softener. Best money youll spend!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
For less than $40 you can build a .5 micron filter. All parts available as an external filter housing with hose fittings. Another $200 gets a nifty softener. Best money youll spend!
Hi. Might seem easy to an unlucky AtomicNo. But for a simple mammothmama, I'm gonna need some details. Like serious details. Links, pictures, diagrams. Explanations given in small words.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Hi. Might seem easy to an unlucky AtomicNo. But for a simple mammothmama, I'm gonna need some details. Like serious details. Links, pictures, diagrams. Explanations given in small words.
Pentek standard filter housing.
https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-PENTEK.../dp/B013GV4ATQ

Pentek standard carbon block.
https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-CBC-10.../dp/B00BI4HPGY
Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ok, get to lowes or home depot and ask for a GE water filter housing. Then find the best matching filter to fit inside. Ask for male and female hose fittings to fit in the threaded holes.
The inlet to the filter goes to a spiggot, and the outlet from the filter goes to your Airstream via another hose.
Ill take a photo later.
It really is this simple. Its 4 parts to buy!
Accomplish this then well move on to the luxury of soft water....
Old 07-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
THanks, @TheGreatleys

I read some of your input on previous threads and you seem to be the resident expert (I think I read that you worked in this field?) so I appreciate you chiming in to yet another thread. Newbies. We're so annoying.

Based on your experience and knowledge, would you mind checking out the link I posted for the .5 micron filter at Amazon. I'm not an expert, so 'filtering out' (haha) the advertising BS from actual info is not easy for me.

What I meant, regarding the spigot filter, by "robust" is that I ro-BUSTED the other cacmco one in only a few trips. So I need something that will stand up to my 105 pound mighty mouse strength. But I'm hearing you say maybe I don't need a spigot filter at all?

I read some of your previous suggestions about chlorinating the tanks. I did not know that I should do that but I figure it can't hurt so am planning to get on it. Some people seem to do this once/mo and some once/season. What do you recommend? And how much per gallon, if you don't mind repeating yourself? If I go back to find the thread now, it will probably take me a week to find it.

I also saw some of your previous suggestions for water softening. We have super hard water at home, and all over the SW, really, so I should probably do that, too. Any update to your previous recommendations?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #13
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Chlorene clogs up a carbon filter, thats the point!
Those little camco filters work once or twice, thats all.
The filters we aremsuggesting will last a quarter year depending on water quality.
I change mine every 1000 gallons or every 3 months.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
If youre filling from a municipal water source, chances are many of the things that will male you sick or kill you are not present. In that case youre just removing particulates and some bad taste.
Well water and from Flint michigan are different.
A capful of bleach every fill isnt a bad thing but thats post filtering and will have a taste.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Thanks!

For sure I can manage those 4 parts. This is exactly the kind of simple solution I was hoping for. And its very affordable, which is also nice.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Just explain to the plumbing guy what youre doing and he can assemble it for you. Remember to seal the threads with teflon tape too, no leaks.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #17
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Post pics of your creation!
Old 07-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
THanks, @TheGreatleys

I read some of your input on previous threads and you seem to be the resident expert (I think I read that you worked in this field?) so I appreciate you chiming in to yet another thread. Newbies. We're so annoying.

Based on your experience and knowledge, would you mind checking out the link I posted for the .5 micron filter at Amazon. I'm not an expert, so 'filtering out' (haha) the advertising BS from actual info is not easy for me.

What I meant, regarding the spigot filter, by "robust" is that I ro-BUSTED the other cacmco one in only a few trips. So I need something that will stand up to my 105 pound mighty mouse strength. But I'm hearing you say maybe I don't need a spigot filter at all?

I read some of your previous suggestions about chlorinating the tanks. I did not know that I should do that but I figure it can't hurt so am planning to get on it. Some people seem to do this once/mo and some once/season. What do you recommend? And how much per gallon, if you don't mind repeating yourself? If I go back to find the thread now, it will probably take me a week to find it.

I also saw some of your previous suggestions for water softening. We have super hard water at home, and all over the SW, really, so I should probably do that, too. Any update to your previous recommendations?
Thanks. Yes, I was in the water treatment field for over a decade so I have ... opinions.

The filter you posted should be fine for what it's rated for. But I guess the question is, what do you need?

Keeping tanks chlorinated is good at keeping bacteria and viruses under control, but only so-so for protozoan cysts (think dysentery-like illnesses that are very difficult to cure). So, it's a good idea to pass your drinking water through a filter rated for cyst reduction. Anything 0.5 microns or smaller is fine. I also like to pass my drinking water through carbon to reduce chlorine and organics like pesticides, pharmaceuticals, etc.

I posted a more thorough overview of the strategy I personally use here:

https://tinylifegear.com/home/water-treatment

I follow the NIH guideline of 1/8 tsp per gallon of water. That means just under 2 Tbsp for each fill of my 45 gal tank.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24909009

Others sanitize once or twice a year, which is great for cleaning up your tank, but does nothing for controlling contamination from your water source. I've seen too many campground and household water reports with E. coli contamination to trust what comes out of the tap.

I don't like breathing or bathing in chlorine, so my carbon block is installed immediately after my pump, not just on my drinking water.

I can't encourage a water softener enough. They're easy to maintain, and make a huge difference in the performance of your water and your appliances.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Leaks - most of our shore water leaks result from the fittings being just a tad too lose ... fixed with slight tightening using water pump pliers or a crescent wrench. The other issue is the connection washer compression that will not seal no matter how tight it is. The solution is a stock of spare washers which is very low cost and lets you make a new friend when you offer one to correct another RVer's troublesome drip.

Bottled water - $6-10 of water eliminates the issue of special filtration for a trip. The major advantage is that containerized water can be positioned to balance the coach. You are not tied to the location the designers chose to position the fresh water tank. It expands your capacity if that is a concern and provides hydration that is easily managed while traveling or hiking.

Recycle/reuse plastic bottles if you chose that solution.

Good luck on your solution. Looks like the prior posts were quite good advice. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Ha! Opinions. Right. ;-)

Read your blog post. Super informative. Quick question. You say to install the pentek filter with .5 micron "after the water pump?"

Could I not just use it as an external filter? Or that's a problem because it would filter out the chlorine from the water and that untreated water would then sit in my tank, moist and warm and ready to replicate nasties?

Would I then be better to it as an external filter when on city water, but not when I'm using tank water?

I guess I'm looking for a way not to have to find where 'after the water pump' is located. ;-)

One other question. Are these filters regulated or certified that you know of to prove that they are authentic/worthwhile? Like certified organic? Good Housekeeping seal of approval? Anything?