Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2021, 06:42 AM   #1
Dragon

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Englewood , Florida
Water coming out of overflow when hooked up to city water.

I noticed that our fresh water tank went to 100 percent full when hooked up to city water to the point that some water was coming out of tank vent. Why is that? Thanks.
JimDarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fairfield , California
Good morning,

The water pump has a bad check valve and the city water is back feeding to overflow your water tank.

Have a good day

Eric
Eric. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
Good morning,

The water pump has a bad check valve and the city water is back feeding to overflow your water tank.

Have a good day

Eric
X2 - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Check Valve

Exact same thing happened to us. But we have a recently updated water pump.

Waking up one morning and the awning side was muddy soaked with water leaking out of the fresh water fill.

To solve, we simply turned off the city water connection (to not conflict with cycling the water pump a few times) and allowed the pump to cycle and do its normal thing.

Must have been either simple sediment or a funky position that the check valve semi stuck partially open.

Cycling the pump solved the issue….at least for us.
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDarla View Post
I noticed that our fresh water tank went to 100 percent full when hooked up to city water to the point that some water was coming out of tank vent. Why is that? Thanks.
Had this same experience on our 2019 FC 25 RBT. Turned off the city water and ran on the pump until fresh water tank was empty. Hoping that through normal use of water turning the pump on and off many times over a day would clear the check valve. No dice. Replaced the pump with exact same model (easy 1/2 hour job) then install a positive shutoff valve to isolate pump when on city water (another 1/2 hour easy job). Now there is no way fresh water tank can fill when connected to city water. Yes, I have to reach in to flip valve to use onboard water but I am OK with that.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Happened once to us and as others noted shutting off city water then running on pump then back to city water cleared the check valve.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Happened once to us and as others noted shutting off city water then running on pump then back to city water cleared the check valve.
Pretty much the same here. It was an isolated problem that cleared itself. Must have been some debris in the check valve. I turned off the city water and used the onboard supply. In fact this is what I usually do. This tends to keeps the water fresher in the tank.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
The check valve can get stuck sometimes, happend to us, turned off city, ran pump for showers everything till empty, turned on city, kept eye on fresh tank, some suggest turning off on city couple time running water, using hot water too, what ever it started to work again no more problem. Its quite common if you google it.
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It doesn't take much grit and crud in a water pump for it to allow water to flow back into the tank. So first, make sure you have a filter between your water tank and the pump, and that you have emptied and flushed that filter. After that, as described above, just cycling some good clean water through the pump may be all that is needed to correct the issue.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:19 AM   #10
Dragon

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Englewood , Florida
Thank you for your responses everyone.
JimDarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
After replacing our water pump due to check valve failure I disassembled the old pump. No crud, no grit, clean as a whistle inside. Still can not figure out why the old pump let the fresh water tank fill when connected to city water.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:41 AM   #12
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
It doesn't take much grit and crud in a water pump for it to allow water to flow back into the tank. So first, make sure you have a filter between your water tank and the pump, and that you have emptied and flushed that filter. After that, as described above, just cycling some good clean water through the pump may be all that is needed to correct the issue.

good luck!
Good point about the in-line filter. I was lackadaisical about using a filter but after I had the seal on the pump leak I began using one. I have not had the problem since.

It seems as though this has also helped with the pump coming on occasionally because of pressure reduction caused by a leaking internal seal in the pump.

Point being, I now use an in-line filter as it seems to do what it is supposed to do, keep dirt out of the system.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote