Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Using City Water Inlet to Fill Fresh Tank?

From what I have been able to glean from perusing this forum there is no valve to divert water from the city inlet to fill the fresh water tank on a 2017 26U Flying Cloud. Is this a correct assumption?
Newbie Airstream Owner and lovin' it!!
Eric
GinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You are correct, and I don't think AS ever did that from the factory. It can be done relatively easily....BUT...it would also be really easy to expand the tank and split it by overfilling with 50- 60 psi high volume filling if you're not really careful and paying attention.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Back when Airstream made a quality trailer they had Auto Fill on the control board. That function allowed city water to fill the fresh water tank.

It was nothing more than a 12 volt electric valve off the pressurized side of the system and a 1/4 in. line going to the tank. You can make it for $20.00 or so.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There is no valve. You fill the water tank through a separate fill port located close to the water tank.
Why would you want to fill from the city water connection? How would you know when the tank is full?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
There is no valve. You fill the water tank through a separate fill port located close to the water tank.
Why would you want to fill from the city water connection? How would you know when the tank is full?
It would run out of the separate fill port.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
It would run out of the separate fill port.
Problem is, it may not run out fast enough to overcome a pressure buildup. Just a 1/2psi pressure in the tank creates a lot of stress on the tank sides when you consider .5psi X ? sq. in. of surface area. I never considered a very small diameter pump bypass, like mentioned above. That would probably allow for much better pressure equalization through the fill port, assuming you took off the fill cap. But it would take forever to fill the tank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I have considered this, and see the value. Many times my trips are a combination of park camping and dry camping. It would be nice, the evening before moving to boondocking or dry camping, to just flip a valve and fill the tank, instead of removing the hose, moving around the trailer, filling the tank and then reconnecting the city water.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Thanks for the promp replies!

I have learned from this forum and gathered from reading the manual that this forum will be much better than the manual. Although better than the manual for my last trailer (a Rockwood) it is still generalized and not specific to each model. Thank God I'm handy!
Again, thank you everybody for confirming my suspicions.
Maybe in the future I will add a bypass valve to fill the tank as I to will be doing a combination of dry camping and using city water.
GinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Correct. I don't think any travel trailer does, or even small fifth wheels.
My MH did, and I turned a lever and the water diverted into the fresh water tank, you could see the translucent tank from the controls and just watched the level rise. There was a pressure regulator on the inlet so it never rose above 45psi. I don't know if that's enough to split a tank. I never kept much in the tank because I didn't want to lug 800 pounds of water up the mountains, just enough for a few showers and dish washing.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This is a picture of the Auto Fill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	279939  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRose View Post
From what I have been able to glean from perusing this forum there is no valve to divert water from the city inlet to fill the fresh water tank on a 2017 26U Flying Cloud. Is this a correct assumption?
Newbie Airstream Owner and lovin' it!!
Eric
My vintage trailer has a bypass and a sight glass to enable seeing the level of water in the tank from inside the trailer, though both are a little awkward to get to. I am pretty sure the valve is original since there is a round hole in the side of the couch frame through which it is reached while lying flat on my belly on the floor. I am also pretty sure the sight glass is something my uncle (the PO) added. It is not glass but Tygon tubing patched in with radiator hose clamps. The only time I use the outside fill port is when I am sanitizing the system to pour in the Clorox. That is also the only time I completely fill the tank and I fill it until water spills out the port. With the breather cap off the port there is no way to pressurize the tank.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Royse City , TX
Howie E... replacing PB plumbing with PEX. Came across the solenoid for the fresh water auto refill. It is disconnected and the 12v line from the monitor is just laying there. It is hot when the monitor panel switch is turned on. However, the solenoid is 125 volt and in your comment you said it was 12 volt.

Does your 12v system work well for autofill?
hmhRV is offline   Reply With Quote