Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2024, 12:09 PM   #1

2023 28' International
FRANKLINTON , NC
Terrible tasting water

We just bought a used 2023 AS International and did a fresh tank flush with the bleach solution before we went on our very first shakedown trip. We bought a fancy water filter and the drinking water safe white hose. Unfortunately, after multiple camping trips since, we still have not been able to resolve the plastic, terrible tasting water that comes out of our faucets. We mostly use the fresh tank and water pump because all the campgrounds we've been at don't have ample water pressure for the hot water heater to kick on. Plus we've read the forums and see that's what most people do.

We recently stayed at a KOA and before I hooked up the hose to fill the fresh tank, I drank from the hose (filter was attached, of course, but I'm of the age where we did that as kids). The water tasted great; clean and fresh, no bad plastic taste. But.....once I filled the fresh tank, the water coming out of the faucet inside tasted awful. Even putting it through our Brita water pitcher, I could still taste the nastiness. Am I missing something????
thx4nuttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Have you tried hooking up the water at the city water inlet? Perhaps rule out the tank/pump flow path.

We drink from 1 gallon plastic jugs (drinking water from the store) and refill them from the dual filter set, a 1 micron and a 5 micron filter. We just use the tank for the sinks and toilet, but I rinse my mouth after brushing my teeth and have not noticed a bad taste.

You rinsed the tank and lines after the bleaching, right?
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Did the previous owner winterize by pumping antifreeze through the system? I found that leaves a terrible taste and have only used air to blow out the system ever since.
Old 05-31-2024, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
If it is a plastic smell and/or taste my guess would be that the previous owner didn't use the FW tank. It sounds like this is something you might experience with a new trailer. This is not too far fetched since I read on the forum many folks don't trust the FW system and bring/purchase/carry store bought water in all kinds and sizes of containers.
You did the right thing in sanitizing your system. I would drain the tank, fill the tank, drain the tank and fill it again. Then let it sit for a while and see if that doesn't help.

I am now in my 70's and drank directly from a garden hose more times than I can remember. I still have a couple of cousins that did the same but now they must sanitize everything! I am still here, still moving and upright, most of the time anyway.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Wayne and Sam brought up another good option. I did this once in another trailer I had. I got a lot of the pink stuff in my FW tank and the problem I had was with a faint smell but the water foamed up for a very long time. I had to rinse the tank more times than I liked.
The good news here is that it is not dangerous to ingest, just not a preferred choice.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 06:08 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
JC can install a brand new tank for only $1,700.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 07:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"We just bought a used 2023 AS International ..." "If it is a plastic smell and/or taste my guess would be that the previous owner didn't use the FW tank." I wonder if that might have something to do with why a year-old trailer is on the used trailer lot. Did the previous owner either do something or not do something that caused the issue?

On our old Foretravel the sanitizing instructions said to put the mixture in, then fill the tank completely, then dump it all out, fill and dump the tank at least twice before filling to use. That tank was 105 gallons, so that was a LOT of water on the ground. I wonder of doing that would help the situation. At least Airstreams don't have fresh water tanks quite that large!

It does sound to me like there is something in the tank that shouldn't be there. I'd be tempted to try putting in the bleach solution, filling the tank to almost completely full, then drive around for an hour or so. Then dump that out, and rinse (fill completely) and dump two or three times. Then fill part-way and taste the water. If it shows improvement, but isn't good enough, do it all over again. If there isn't any change I'd see if I could find a friendly chemist to see what's what.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 04:44 AM   #8

2023 28' International
FRANKLINTON , NC
Thank you to all for the responses. We did try using the city water inlet on this last trip back and forth to FL a week ago (we did an overnight at a KOA and they had great pressure) but it tasted just as bad. Wayne&Sam is probably right in that they winterized with antifreeze. We are going to try sanitizing it a few more times and see if that helps. We head out for a weekender next week so hopefully we can resolve this. I hate having to buy water or fill gallon jugs to bring with us but we just might have to.
thx4nuttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 05:31 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
Try bleach and baking soda. Let it sit a day or so. Drain, rinse, and repeat the process.
G8trwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 07:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I quit using the antifreeze solution to winterize because it took a lot of flushing (several trips) to get rid of the nasty taste. I winterize by using compressed air for several years now and skip the antifreeze.
I would continue to sanitize with bleach and baking soda and flush it out several times as mentioned above.
Propride 3P Hitch
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, bleach and baking soda. I use bleach solution (1/4 cup bleach for every 10 gal. of water), let sit for 3 hours, drain the tank and lines (pump through every line in your trailer), then put baking soda in (about 1 cup for every 10 gal. water - can't really use too much), pump through all your lines, and let sit for 3 days, then drain and flush. We do use antifreeze in our lines (not tank) being we live where it gets down to minus 30 in the winter. No bad taste after doing these steps. And we do drink our water.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:57 AM   #12
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If you get the taste with the city water inlet as the source (not running the pump) then the problem is not (just) your tank.

I agree that you would really benefit by knowing what was used to winterize your trailer. Ask the dealer or person you bought it from. It's possible that someone used an incorrect product which is causing the problem, and knowing what it is would really help knowing the solution.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 09:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have used a 7 stage reverse osmosis system for all drinking water for many years
never an issue
2023 25' FB FC, hatch, Queen,30A,1AC,Awning pkg, Convection uwave.Multiplus 12/3000-50,700A Lion,MPPT 100/30,Orion-TR 30,Cerbo GX,GX touch 50,Lynx distributor,dual BMV-712, smart shunt 500A&1000A, RUUVI temp/humidity sensors,2 Mopeka LP sensors
NCR,Ontario,VE3HIU since 1978
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx4nuttin View Post
Thank you to all for the responses. We did try using the city water inlet on this last trip back and forth to FL a week ago (we did an overnight at a KOA and they had great pressure) but it tasted just as bad. Wayne&Sam is probably right in that they winterized with antifreeze. We are going to try sanitizing it a few more times and see if that helps. We head out for a weekender next week so hopefully we can resolve this. I hate having to buy water or fill gallon jugs to bring with us but we just might have to.
You've received plenty of good ideas here. We hate buying more plastic as well. You can also purchase BPA-free 5 gallon plastic jugs that you can re-use.

If you end up draining the tank, bear in mind there is a large drain plug at the bottom, accessible via an access panel.

Good luck and please post your results.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I recommend you do a full flush, clean, sanitize of your fresh water tank and plumbing. Here is what we use:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For what it's worth, we always winterize by pumping anitfreeze through our tank and pump, so you do need to rinse that out well.

We do this each spring. It will take a little over an hour. Get a automotive coolant funnel to make it easy to pour the cleaner into the fresh tank.

Steps-
1-be at a full hookup site so you can drain easily.
2-fill fresh water tank with plain water, and using water pump, run plumbing at sinks, side sprayer, shower hot and cold, bathroom hot and cold, and toilet. Drain black and gray tanks as needed.
When we are winterized we do this all with the hot water heater still bypassed). Our rig has the older tank-style water heater. Since you have the newer tankless water heater, I think it should also stay bypassed during all of these steps. Turn the hot water heater back online at the end of the process.
This step should be getting any pink stuff out of the lines and tank.
Step 2-add cleaner as per directions on bottle, and fill fresh water tank again. Then again drain the tank using the water pump at the kitchen and bath sink, side sprayer, shower, and toilet. Also the outside shower too.
Step 3-Fill tank again with water and rinse out the cleanser by running the water through all the taps again.
Step 4-Fill tank ½ full and use the sanitizer to fully sanitize the lines.

This has worked well for us in all our rigs, and we feel confident that the water pumping through our plumbing doesn't have any lingering molds or bacteria buildups.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Had same problem with a boat. Just had to flush out tank several times and always use a food grade hose to fill.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:37 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
1999 25' Safari
High Ridge , Missouri
don't forget to clean the screen at the water pump, and at your faucet. There could be all kinds of nasty right there.
Blomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 05:50 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Best guess is indeed stuff in the pipes. If you leave a full load of this or that in the system for months….. it will take a long time to flush. If you have a hot water setup with a tank *and* fill that you are into the “yikes” zone.

We figure on a couple hours of flush each spring. That’s after blowing everything out in the fall. We head over to a local state park and spend an afternoon flushing.

Kitchen, bathroom, shower, toilet, low point drains, fresh tank drains all get a long flush. They get flushed set to hot and to cold. The whole process is repeated many times.

A couple of other things to check:

On city water, do you get bad water out of all the taps set to hot or cold?

Do you get bad water out of the shower (both inside and out)?

If you run the tap for an hour does it still taste bad?

Fun

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 05:58 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
We never drink the water from our fresh tanks. It's for showering and washing dishes only. Jugs of water for drinking water. Scepter water cans are the best.
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 02:49 PM   #20
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
All good info

Do you get the plastic taste from both faucets - galley and bathroom?

To isolate if it's the tank or not, turn the water pump OFF. Run the faucet water for a bit (while hooked to city water) to clear any residual, then try a taste. If the plastic taste is present, the tank is not likely the source. If it IS present, it's the lines being used (check your manual for plumbing diagram). Perhaps the easiest thing to do first is remove the faucet aerator and taste the water. Aerators can trap all manner of stuff. Hopefully it is something simple for you to correct.