Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Palmdale , California
Tank full

I'm sort of new to the forum so forgive me if this question has been answered before. I have been in this resort for about two months and just noticed that my fresh water tank is over flowing. This tank was empty when we first arrived. Can my city water valve be leaking. Thanks ahead for any thoughts.
mikeadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeadams View Post
I'm sort of new to the forum so forgive me if this question has been answered before. I have been in this resort for about two months and just noticed that my fresh water tank is over flowing. This tank was empty when we first arrived. Can my city water valve be leaking. Thanks ahead for any thoughts.
Most likely it's the check valve on your water pump.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Happened to me too. Yes, water pump check valve. Use it a few times and it starts "checking."
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Agreed. Fresh water pump check value failure - when it fails allows city water under pressure to back flow into the fresh water tank.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
RVATOR

2018 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeadams View Post

Not sure who advised us on the same issue. They said it can often result from high water pressure from site overwhelming check valve. Suggested disconnecting from water supply, running only from internal supply on pump until almost depleted. Then, resume hookup from site. Worked for us and did not require replacing check valve.
2023 AS Classic 33’ FBQ
RV-7 (N23KT) VANSAIRFORCE.NET
Toornburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
This did the trick for me when it happened

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto on the pump's check valve.

See these search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pump...=airforums.com

Recent threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...nk-190805.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ff-190997.html

Check the list of topics in this sub-forum for other threads: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/

If you are not careful to always use a filter on the hose [both for city water and filling the tank] grit from the water supply can compromise the operation of the valve.

Try turning the pump on and off lots of times, and pressurize the system with city water on and off a bunch of times. Often the problem will go away. If you have time, drain the fresh water tank and monitor the last gallon or two for grit. Use a filter like this one when you fill the tank:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...r+filter&psc=1

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote