Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Systems Monitor not reading water tank correctly

Hi,

The Systems "Micro Pulse" Monitor on my unit is reading low fresh water, but the tank is full. When the tanks drops below 7/8 or so, the monitor reads empty. Any ideas on on the problem?

Looking at the white plastic water tank, I see a connector at the bottom connected to a beige cable that looks like a phone jack (RJ11). That cable seems to run outside the unit, or through the walls. Not sure if its the status sensor? Thanks for any advice.

The monitor also reads the battery level and grey/black tank level. Those seem to be "mostly" accurate.

Pictures attached.. (tank is full but the monitor is reading low)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	216444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	216445  

rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Possibly a stupid question. How can you tell what tank it is reading?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My black shows full all the time too. I just re-calibrated all of them a couple weeks ago. the rest are perfect, but the black started off normal and within a few hours it started marching up the LEDs, one at a time, until all are lit.

Since I can see the black level down the toilet, I'm not messing with it until I have to replace with a SeeLevel system.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Possibly a stupid question. How can you tell what tank it is reading?
When you press the button, the led beside the tank name will flash, then show the series of leds to indicate the level by color and number of leds lit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
You might try completely draining the tank. I open the valve while towing and let the motion of the tow drain the water. I usually leave the valve open overnight to insure a complete drain. Then refill and see if that helps. Maybe there is sediment or other gunk floating in the tank?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My black shows full all the time too. I just re-calibrated all of them a couple weeks ago. the rest are perfect, but the black started off normal and within a few hours it started marching up the LEDs, one at a time, until all are lit.

Since I can see the black level down the toilet, I'm not messing with it until I have to replace with a SeeLevel system.
x2... except my black always shows empty. You should have a Micropulse manual that came with your Airstream. It explains how to recalibrate.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, believe me, I'm an expert at recalibration. Very well practiced!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
x2... except my black always shows empty. You should have a Micropulse manual that came with your Airstream. It explains how to recalibrate.
This may well be the problem(calibration). At least when we bought our trailer, it was the dealer's responsibility to calibrate the monitoring system before delivery. They are apparently not calibrated at the factory. In the case of the black water tank in particular, the sensors may be fooled by material adhering to the inside of the tank. A very through rinse may help that.

However, all this aside, the system does not seem all that reliable to me.

An always empty or always full indication could be faulty wiring.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
I flushed the fresh water tank and re-filled with no luck and tried to clean the connector up a bit. I'll have to try the re-calibration option. Although, based on other posts, I shouldn't expect a magic fix. The only thing that gives me some hope is the black and battery seem to be registering. Visual inspections and volt meter are probably the way to go.
rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
This may well be the problem(calibration). At least when we bought our trailer, it was the dealer's responsibility to calibrate the monitoring system before delivery. They are apparently not calibrated at the factory. In the case of the black water tank in particular, the sensors may be fooled by material adhering to the inside of the tank. A very through rinse may help that.

However, all this aside, the system does not seem all that reliable to me.

An always empty or always full indication could be faulty wiring.

Ken
I've recalibrated 6 - 8 times in the 4 years I've owned it. Funny thing this time is the proper reading in the black tank when done, and then a slow rise of the LEDs over 3 or 4 hours to end up showing full. The tank was thoroughly flushed a couple times before calibration. May be wiring, but I would think high resistance would show up right away, not over several hours. Fresh and gray are calibrated perfectly.

But, if I have to drop tank pans to inspect or change a sensor, I'll do it one time and install a SeeLevel system.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Rportillo, the bad news is that there may not be a fix for your unit. If you search you will find several threads dedicated to this topic. My fresh tank experienced the exact same problem as yours with my grey and be similar and the black showing empty or nearly empty in most all cases. After recalibrating around five times, changing all 3 sensors at least once, checking all cable connections and changing the entire control head (all under warranty), it never would work. Airstream eventually changed out my system to the SeeLevel system under warranty and now it works properly. Bay Area Airstream can now change out yours for a low, low $2,500.00. Or you will just have to guess about your fresh water level.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurbrian View Post
Rportillo, the bad news is that there may not be a fix for your unit. If you search you will find several threads dedicated to this topic. My fresh tank experienced the exact same problem as yours with my grey and be similar and the black showing empty or nearly empty in most all cases. After recalibrating around five times, changing all 3 sensors at least once, checking all cable connections and changing the entire control head (all under warranty), it never would work. Airstream eventually changed out my system to the SeeLevel system under warranty and now it works properly. Bay Area Airstream can now change out yours for a low, low $2,500.00. Or you will just have to guess about your fresh water level.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
My black tank level system works perfectly. I raise the lid on the toilet, then open the flush valve while shining a flashlight down the opening.

Ken
Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
My black tank level system works perfectly. I raise the lid on the toilet, then open the flush valve while shining a flashlight down the opening.

Ken
That's my brand new system that I just got for my AS a couple weeks ago.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Fresh Water Level Alarm System

I have an effective alarm system for the fresh water.

When the water stops coming out the tap, I get alarmed.

I always top up the fresh water before leaving home or any any camp site with water, unless I am going to be home that day. If I arrive home with water in the tank, I regard it as free irrigation for the hedge and flowers next to the driveway.

I guess the reason, the factory systems works well in my trailer is because I don't care about it.

Ken
Old 07-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
When you press the button, the led beside the tank name will flash, then show the series of leds to indicate the level by color and number of leds lit.
Rich, thank you

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I have an effective alarm system for the fresh water.

When the water stops coming out the tap, I get alarmed.

I always top up the fresh water before leaving home or any any camp site with water, unless I am going to be home that day. If I arrive home with water in the tank, I regard it as free irrigation for the hedge and flowers next to the driveway.

I guess the reason, the factory systems works well in my trailer is because I don't care about it.

Ken
See now, I can't live with that one. My wife has a tendency to get up on departure morning and change her mind about not showering until we arrive at our next destination. My greatest fear is her running out of fresh water with shampoo in her hair or the shower puddling up around her feet, because I didn't use the blue boy or haul some water last night.

Those two monitor readings must be known quantities for me!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
See now, I can't live with that one. My wife has a tendency to get up on departure morning and change her mind about not showering until we arrive at our next destination. My greatest fear is her running out of fresh water with shampoo in her hair or the shower puddling up around her feet, because I didn't use the blue boy or haul some water last night.

Those two monitor readings must be known quantities for me!
That's never a problem for us, because we always make a leisurely departure when traveling. Wife and I both shower if applicable, then I do the tanks. For me, making a early departure ruins my attitude for the whole day. Anything that spoils that plan is viewed by me as trying to go too far in one day. It would not be a vacation.

Ken
Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kingston , ON
Rportillo - when you calibrate your fresh water tank, make sure you are not calibrating "full" to the level of the intake. That is, the position of the fill-tube on the curb-side of your trailer is probably about 2ft. above the tank. If you fill right to the top of that tube, then the sensors will read at least twice the pressure. Then once the litre of water in the fill-tube is evacuated, the tank will read half-full (even tho it is completely full). That is the real downside to this sensor. You have to guess when the water is down to the level of the tank itself.

That being said, I have had little luck with this sensor and have basically abandoned it. My bigger problem is that my fresh water tank (54 gal) is bigger than my gray water tank (39 gal). And I never use very much water in my black water tank. I wish Airstream would get over the delusion that grey water should never mix with black water and design a 65 gal freshwater/ 65 gal waste water system. It would simplify things, and be less expensive to build.
trvler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvler View Post

I wish Airstream would get over the delusion that grey water should never mix with black water and design a 65 gal freshwater/ 65 gal waste water system. It would simplify things, and be less expensive to build.
I would strenuously disagree with this. If you ever boondock it is very nice to have grey water and black water in separate tanks. Years ago Airstream did mix the grey with the black and learned from this engineering mistake. If all you do is camp with full hookups then either way makes sense.

My black tank sensor has never worked. It always reads empty but that is not an issue with me. I can look down the shute and decide for myself. I don't trust the battery level reading and have purchased a rather inexpensive little doo dad that plugs into the 12 V receptacle and gives an accurate reading. I have recalibrated a few times and it can be quite confusing. Make sure you follow the directions carefully.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote