Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #1

2004 34' Classic
wichita falls , Texas
stupid question?????

Is it ok to run water pump while connected to city water supply for more water pressure, or will it hurt the pump?
cowpokemon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Do not run the water pump when connected to city water. At best, you could empty your fresh water tank into the city water system, or dump it on the ground at the faucet. Or you could ruin the pump, and overfill your fresh water tank.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
It's best to think of your city water system and, the water pumps as two separate system. While you really can't hurt the water pump, (they have an incredible life) the question here is why do you feel the need for more water pressure?
1.Check your city water source, is it flowing properly?
2.Check the water intake filter screen for the city water, is it clean?
3. Some system can benefit from the addition of a accumulator tank to keep water flow constant.
4. While you're hooked to city water, you should always have a water pressure regulator install on the water intake. Make sure it working properly and it's clean as well. 40lb regulator is the norm~
While I personally have not had any problems with pressure, I have always felt that it's not anywhere near the same as at my home. Just the price I pay to have that camping experiences..
Good Luck~!
53FC

supplies will last on as long as you have fresh water.
To obtain better pressure flow while on city water should never be a problem.
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My FloJet pump won't run when the Airstream is hooked up to shore water.

The pump senses the pressure in the line, and apparently sees no reason to turn on.

But even if it did, there is a checkvalve in the Airstream's plumbing which would keep any water it pumped from being forced into the shore water supply.

There have been many times when I have forgotten to turn the pump off after hooking to shore water. It has not been a problem.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
If you have an Aquajet pump, here is what my owner's manual says about this topic:

Aquajet water pump (Optional Equipment)

Water pressure at some campgrounds may be low. The water pump can be turned on to assist the city water hookup pressure. Be sure there is some water in the fresh water tank. The pump will only use the water that is needed out of the tank to bring the pressure up to the usual standard. The water pump should be turned off when the trailer is left unattended.
emdubyadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Not a "Stupid" Question

If you have Questions....ask them. Members of this Forum will answer your questions...and then you have many answers. NOT STUPID. It is information from one member to another.

We all need to know...and LEARN. Knowledge is power. Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hear here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
If you have Questions....ask them. Members of this Forum will answer your questions...and then you have many answers. NOT STUPID. It is information from one member to another.

We all need to know...and LEARN. Knowledge is power. Aria
I "second" Aria's statement!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Definitely, there are no stupid questions here.

On our '04 Classic we often run the pump to supplement low water pressure from a campground source with water from our fresh water tank. We monitor our water tank to be certain we maintain it with enough water to be able to maintain the supplemental amount required for higher pressure. Go for it as you'll most likely enjoy the additional pressure with no damage to your pump.

Happy Trails
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I agree that there are no stupid questions - a question is the only way to find out something that you didn't have the answer to.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
johns island , South Carolina
another "silly" question

Why do I need a water tank. I never stay in campgrounds without water hook-ups. Any technical reasons.
davechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I agree that there are no stupid questions - a question is the only way to find out something that you didn't have the answer to.

AND - it is better (less painful and less expensive too) to ask the question and get the answer than to proceed along the other path of just giving it a try to see what happens!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davechili View Post
Why do I need a water tank. I never stay in campgrounds without water hook-ups. Any technical reasons.
Sure are.

Assuming you tow the trailer, where would you get the water from, if you simply had to make a "pit" stop?

More importantly, things happen.

Where would you get water from, if you blew a radiator or heater hose, out in the middle of no place?

Lastly, a proven fact, when you tow an Airstream that has a full tank of water, the center of gravity is lower, therefore the trailer handles better.

If the water weight is a problem, then you should not load any grocerys or clothes in the trailer either.

Rarely, are any questions stupid. More often, some off the wall answers meet that category.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
Definitely, there are no stupid questions here.
Although I personally have provided several stupid answers.

See, there's another one.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Operating with Low City Water pressure.

There are a couple of approaches one can take when the city pressure is low.

Take the time to just fill your tank and operate off the pump and tank.

Many Airstreams have an Auto Fill System that when turned on will slowly fill your tank while no faucets are turned on. The problem with this system is it fills at a very slow rate and you have to watch it as there is no automatic shut off when the tank is full. Failure to watch the auto fill will result in the tank overflowing onto the ground. Once the auto fill system has filled the tank you can work off the pump and tank system.

Attempting to work off the city system with the pump augmenting the pressure will not work. The pump pressure once turned on will be greater than the city pressure and thus the Airstream check valve at the water input will just shut stopping any flow from the city. Conversely once the pump shuts off no water will be added to the tank from the city system because when off the pump is a check valve between the city and the tank. Operating in this manor you will only get water from the city system for the amount of time it takes for the pressure to drop below the pump on pressure. If there is no air in your trailer plumbing this may be as much as a shot glass full.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Low Water Pressure?

Check your filter/screens at the faucet(s)...oftentimes dirt/debris collects in there and the water pressure seems to be lessened. The screen is actually blocked and water can't get through. Unscrew the tip of the faucet or shower head and clean them out...you'll be surprised at all the "gunk" that's in there, even using a filter upstream.

It may help.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Check your filter/screens at the faucet(s)...oftentimes dirt/debris collects in there and the water pressure seems to be lessened. The screen is actually blocked and water can't get through. Unscrew the tip of the faucet or shower head and clean them out...you'll be surprised at all the "gunk" that's in there, even using a filter upstream.

It may help.

Shari
I second that, what she sez...
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Pressure or flow ...

Don't confuse water pressure with water flow. If you not getting the volume of water you want it may not be a lack of pressure but rather restriction in flow. For us we accept the reduced flow caused by our filter.
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I can't argue the logic that prevails herein, but I often run the pump to augment the pressure at the shower head when hooked to the campground supply - and it works! Niether service alone equals the combined pressure. I've replaced the AS pressure regulator once before, I regularly clean the faucet screens, and I use an inline filter at the faucet. Maybe it has to do with the volume rather than the pressure - as previously suggested.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Water filters between the city water source and your trailer can also lower your water pressure...if they do, tit's time to replace or clean them...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Why doesn't one of our fine moderators re-name this thread?
Subject lines like this one [stupid question ?????] just cause confusion and difficulty in our already screwed up search features.
I do agree that there are (almost) no stupid questions, but Lord there are so so many stupid subject lines.
How bout calling it..... Water pumps, water tanks, city water, water filters ..."stupid questions ??? not"

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote