Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Colorado Springs , CO
Check to see if "someone" made a connecting line from the heater pressure-relief valve to the grey tank. There shouldn't be one that I know of, but if the heater was on all night, overheated the water and released through the valve, then this could be the mystery connection.
Just throwing ideas out there because like I said, as far as I know, there shouldn't be a hose running from that valve anywhere.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #22
AS I go! Thanks Airstream

2017 30' Classic
Pall Mall , Tennessee
Hi. I'm very new to RV life. In fact spent my first night Wednesday March 28, 2018. I had the same mysterious event occur. I thought my fresh water tank drained into my gray. As I tried to duplicate the event, I noticed when filling the fresh water tank, there was water draining from the drain valve beneath the inlet. It was left open after winterizing, as normal procedure. That explained why it was emptied. As far a the gray tank, I had just emptied when filling the fresh water tank. Like you, I found it 75% full the next morning which was a result of using the fresh water from cooking a meal, washing dishes, a long shower, and just general washing hands etc. I used more water than I realized. The fresh water tank drained from use & the drain valve being open.
Could this be what is happening to yours?
TIWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I had something happen last night that was a first for me. On our first night camping this trip, with a full freshwater tank and an empty grey water tank, during the night, the entire freshwater tank emptied into the grey water tank. The freshwater tank was empty and the greywater tank was full this morning. It was as if we left an inside faucet running (which wasn't the case). We always run off of the freshwater tank with the pump so the hose from the camp supply was not connected. The pump was turned off all night.

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?
Please keep us posted about this interesting mystery, it is very very strange.
Do second test with dye water to make sure that its the same water transferring. Its like an impossible thing unless your fresh tank overflow pipe would be connected directly to your grey tank by a previous owner and Grey decided to syphon Fresh,,,,,
Only other thing I see is sleep walking!
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
As Arte Johnson said on Laugh In:

Here are your posts in order, in case something jogs anyone's mind to consider a new theory.

Could a campground prankster have opened the fresh water tank's drain, and then connected a city water supply hose during the night, allowing a leaky faucet to fill the gray tank? Then took the hose away?

Logically possible but strains the credulity no doubt!

Hmmmm . . .

Quote:
I had something happen last night that was a first for me. On our first night camping this trip, with a full freshwater tank and an empty grey water tank, during the night, the entire freshwater tank emptied into the grey water tank. The freshwater tank was empty and the greywater tank was full this morning. It was as if we left an inside faucet running (which wasn't the case). We always run off of the freshwater tank with the pump so the hose from the camp supply was not connected. The pump was turned off all night.

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?
Quote:
1 - Yes & yes
2 - Parked level on concrete pad
3 - Pump was off all night. This morning, water heater was making a noise like it was boiling. It was on electric all night and when I turned the electric off it stopped. There was plenty of water in the water heater tank as the faucet ran hot water fine.
4 - No dripping in the shower. I checked shower, kitchen sink, and bath sink. These are only 3 places where freshwater runs into grey water drains.
Quote:
I agree with you, but there was no faucet running this morning after I refilled the freshwater tank. Plus, the pump was off. If it had of been on, I would have heard it running during the night. It is pretty loud.

I have camped in this trailer for four years and have never had this happen before.
Quote:
Yes, I drained the grey water tank, it was full. I also refilled the freshwater tank, standing there watching it fill for the normal time it takes to go from empty to full.

I am completely mystified...
Quote:
I will watch it today and see what happens. I will report back what I find, if anything.
Quote:
But for that to have happened, the pump would have to be on. I would have to have gone into the kitchen area to turn the pump on and off (the pump was off this morning). I think I would have remembered that. There is also the pump noise that would have continued for some time.
Quote:
I hope it is something simple. I agree that it probably is, but I have racked my feeble brain as to what it could be...If it happens again, hopefully I can discover the mystery, and I will report back.
Quote:
We bought it new, no prior owner.
Quote:
We got in late afternoon and I filled freshwater tank. Grey water was empty from winterizing. No showers taken, so just minimum water used that evening.
Quote:
Now that's interesting. But, how would it siphon from the freshwater tank into the greywater tank if they are not connected? My understanding is the only connection is through a drain??
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Does anyone in the family take sleep medication? Sounds like those mysterious events where Ambien users wake up to find somene ate their loaf of bread and 16 oz jar of peanut butter.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Does anyone in the family take sleep medication? Sounds like those mysterious events where Ambien users wake up to find somene ate their loaf of bread and 16 oz jar of peanut butter.
Tru! My bride was prescribed that stuff.... Next morning I was fixing coffee only to notice the peanut butter, strawberry jelly and almonds had been hit... we sleep upstairs... and kitchen is downstairs... and she did not recall making the trip.

My money is on either a leaking faucet or a park prankster. I have a sewer cap which I can connect a water hose to... and add water to flush a tank... then just let the fresh water drain.

This scenario is most likely because a FULL FW tank has greater VOLUME than the gray tank... Is it that way on the OP's trailer?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
With all these strange happenings.......I wouldn’t touch that water with a ten foot pole...?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
This scenario is most likely because a FULL FW tank has greater VOLUME than the gray tank... Is it that way on the OP's trailer
No, the freshwater tank and grey water tank are within 2 gallons of being the same size.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #29
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
This is close to what happened to me. Over about a year, I would notice my fresh water tank was empty when I knew I had just filled it. I went to Jackson Center for some other maintenance and had them trouble shoot and replace the fresh water sensor. On a later trip to Florida I had no fresh water at a stop at Walmart. At least i could by bottle water there. Got to FL and after hooking up to utilities I attempted to fill the fresh water tank. I went about doing other setup things and noticed it was taking forever to fill the tank. Then I noticed water coming out from under the trailer. On futher inspection, I found the plastic tank drain had been wiped out. Probably from a road "Alligator." That's what the truckers call tire treads liying on the Interstates. I replaced the drain valve and "viola" the problem was solved. It amazes me how something so simple can go unnoticed when all the symptonms are right in front of you for months. Enough said.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
. . .
It amazes me how something so simple can go unnoticed when all the symptonms are right in front of you for months.
. . .
Well said.

Wondering if something simple happened here too.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Well, the original occurrence was Friday evening during the night. I went all through Saturday and Sunday without it repeating. The freshwater tank went from full down to about 40% and the gray water tank filled to about 60%. So all is well. No idea what happened Friday night. Maybe I am sleepwalking...and dumping and filling during the night...
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Tanks for the update!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #33
Whtesocks

2014 31' Classic
Crane , Missouri
Fresh Water and grey water tank issue

In our unit there are 2 switches for the fresh water pump. On a trip last year I had the same problem with the transfer of water between the 2 tanks and in my case the solution was simple.

The switches are 3 way, which means that if someone has operated one of the switches, ie in the kitchen then the switch in the bathroom off position is reversed. So if you are used to putting the switch in a specific position for off you are wrong. So the answer is test and see if the pump comes on when you turn on a faucet.

If the pump is left on and you have a few bumps on the highway the kitchen sink faucet will partially operate and the water transfer occurs.

We now check and double check the switch status before we hit the road!

I hope this was helpful!
dmnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Most likely

It's the kitchen sink handle opened slightly by the glass lid. Without the pump, it siphoned water from the fresh to the grey.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
Talking X-Files

Quote:
Well, the original occurrence was Friday evening during the night. I went all through Saturday and Sunday without it repeating. The freshwater tank went from full down to about 40% and the gray water tank filled to about 60%. So all is well. No idea what happened Friday night. Maybe I am sleepwalking...and dumping and filling during the night...
At this point the only plausible explanation is ALIENS.
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnichols View Post
In our unit there are 2 switches for the fresh water pump. On a trip last year I had the same problem with the transfer of water between the 2 tanks and in my case the solution was simple.

The switches are 3 way, which means that if someone has operated one of the switches, ie in the kitchen then the switch in the bathroom off position is reversed. So if you are used to putting the switch in a specific position for off you are wrong. So the answer is test and see if the pump comes on when you turn on a faucet.

If the pump is left on and you have a few bumps on the highway the kitchen sink faucet will partially operate and the water transfer occurs.

We now check and double check the switch status before we hit the road!

I hope this was helpful!
I only have one switch in the kitchen.